IGNORED

Anybody Else Not That Interested in Premium Golf Balls?

Note: This thread is 1908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We were at a Target store today. They had 4 boxes of yellow Nitro Ultimate Distance balls at $ 1.00 for a box of 12. They are a cheapie, 2 piece ball. Might even be non conforming. I don't know. I thought I might use one on a course later on. At the very least they will make a nice addition to my shag bag. 

What little chipping I did with them, they seem to be ok. They sounded good, rolled well, and I was able to put dececent spin on them. They won't replace my e6 gamers since I like the consistency of the e6.  

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Feral golf balls can provide good service.  

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 1/6/2018 at 9:31 AM, Pablo68 said:

I have bought my premium ones on Ebay for the past several years but I'm going to stop doing that after reading how much effect sitting in the water has on a ball.

For those that buy balls on Ebay or fish them out of a pond, assuming solid contact, how many times have you hit a ball that comes up short on an approach or just performs weird? While it may not be that often, Murphy's law states it'll be when it matters the most.

Are you buying used premium balls on eBay, or new?

Premium golf balls might be the biggest rip off in golf. First off I’m a ten handicapper with a 92 mph driver speed. The shortest flying ball I have used is a prov1. Second I can use most any ball and hit a lob wedge that stays around it’s landing spot. Third if I hear the word “rocks” one more time i’ll Scream. There are a slew of twenty dollar balls that are plenty soft( check out the Wilson line). Fourth if your good enough to hit ten feet over the pin and back it up you should be able to hit ten feet in front and run it in. I use Wilson Zip( 20 bucks for a double dozen at Walmart). I’m not a Walmart guy but I hold my nose, run in and get my balls. They travel far, stay straight and putt soft. If you need to chip with super spin on every hole your ball is not the problem.

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

Premium golf balls might be the biggest rip off in golf.

Now that Snell has come out with their MTB, priced in the mid-range point and competing against the Pro-V.

I disagree before that point. I can easily say that the Pro-V's are some of the longest golf balls I've hit.

The big point with premium golf balls is their consistency, feel, and wedge spin. If a person doesn't think that values 20 more dollars per dozen, then fine.

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

Second I can use most any ball and hit a lob wedge that stays around it’s landing spot

Then you are hampering your short game. If every shot needs to be a lob shot, because you can't use spin to your advantage, then you are making golf harder for you.

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

There are a slew of twenty dollar balls that are plenty soft( check out the Wilson line).

There still is a feel difference. I agree, non-premium golf balls have gotten better in that department.

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

Fourth if your good enough to hit ten feet over the pin and back it up you should be able to hit ten feet in front and run it in.

Most PGA Tour players don't spin it back on every shot. TV has made perception different. Most shots have a bit of release on them.

Again, never having the option of using spin is making golf harder for you. Imagine you have a green were you need a bit of spin to get the ball close. There is a bunker blocking your ability to run the ball up. What are you going to do, live with a long putt from the back of the green?

With a premium golf ball I can run the ball up, stop it close, or in some special cases zip the ball back. It's the versatility that is a big perk.

19 minutes ago, tinker said:

If you need to chip with super spin on every hole your ball is not the problem.

No one is saying that. Having spin helps out. Not having the spin makes golf harder.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

@tinker, I was going to respond, but @saevel25 pretty much covered it.

You may feel differently if you become a 3 handicapper.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

@tinker, I was going to respond, but @saevel25 pretty much covered it.

You may feel differently if you become a 3 handicapper.

As a +1 I have to dissagre. I play bridgestone E6, a long less spinner ball, and short game is by far the best area of my game (according to SG analisys) and my competitors. Moreover I buy used balls rescued from water hazards and play them on mid-Am and Nationals competitions. So i play a ball 80% cheaper that a Pro V1 and get even better results than when i play with a ProV1.  

I don´t like at all that much spin around the green, if i need to stop the ball quickly i just flop it and land it dead on the green.
From 100 yards i don´t have to be afraid or change my swing in order to prevent the ball to spin back 10 yards after it lands. With my ball it always lands and stops near the pich mark.

I´m not saying that we all should play cheaper balls, i´m saying that everyone need to play the ball that fit his game better. It could be a cheap rock or an expensive prov1. But don´t spent more money on a prov1 just because the Pro or scratch golfers use it, find the one rigth for u no matter what level you have.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

As a +1 I have to dissagre.

You can’t really disagree with “you may.“ I didn’t guarantee it. I simply said it was possible he would care more as he got better.

You’re an aberration if you play an e6 and don’t get or see any benefit from a more premium ball.

And… PGA Tour pros rarely have the ball spin back 10 yards. That’s kinda silly.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can’t really disagree with “you may.“ I didn’t guarantee it. I simply said it was possible he would care more as he got better.

You are right! my english ísn´t that good to saw the difference.

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

You’re an aberration if you play an e6 and don’t get or see any benefit from a more premium ball.

Consistency it´s the only one that any brand new ball give u. But more side spin and the above two negative things i point out make me don´t want to play at all with a premium golf ball.

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

And… PGA Tour pros rarely have the ball spin back 10 yards. That’s kinda silly.

I saw them do it, even scratch players. On front pins with trouble in front of the green to land the ball on a safe spot in the middle of the green and spin it back to the front. between 5/10 yards of back spin.   

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

I saw them do it, even scratch players. On front pins with trouble in front of the green to land the ball on a safe spot in the middle of the green and spin it back to the front. between 5/10 yards of back spin.   

I’m saying it doesn’t happen all that often. And when it does it’s usually aided by slope. And… you can’t land a shot ten yards short to a front pin behind a bunker. Not a good one anyway.

Maybe your greens aren’t very firm.

33 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

But more side spin and the above two negative things i point out make me don´t want to play at all with a premium golf ball.

That isn't necessarily true.

This is for a 95mph swing speed, robot testing with a driver.

Non-Premium golf balls will have spin rate range of 2200 to 2900
Premium golf balls will have a spin rate range of 2500 to 2900

There is very little difference. Is there some more low spinning options with non-premium golf balls, sure. It isn't substantial.

39 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

saw them do it, even scratch players. On front pins with trouble in front of the green to land the ball on a safe spot in the middle of the green and spin it back to the front. between 5/10 yards of back spin

That is dependent on a lot of things.

1. They need to be in the fairway, fairway bunker or a tight lie.
2. The green needs to have good slope from back to front
3. The green needs to be soft. You hardly ever see this happen at the US Open.

Most of the time you will see the ball zip back a few feet, one hop and stop, or roll out a bit.

It also depends on the club. They will not get much zip back with anything but a wedge shot. Since PGA Tour players average around 160 yards out on their approach shots, this is not common.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, tinker said:

Premium golf balls might be the biggest rip off in golf. First off I’m a ten handicapper with a 92 mph driver speed. The shortest flying ball I have used is a prov1. Second I can use most any ball and hit a lob wedge that stays around it’s landing spot. Third if I hear the word “rocks” one more time i’ll Scream. There are a slew of twenty dollar balls that are plenty soft( check out the Wilson line). Fourth if your good enough to hit ten feet over the pin and back it up you should be able to hit ten feet in front and run it in. I use Wilson Zip( 20 bucks for a double dozen at Walmart). I’m not a Walmart guy but I hold my nose, run in and get my balls. They travel far, stay straight and putt soft. If you need to chip with super spin on every hole your ball is not the problem.

Pretty broad statement, of course I disagree with you. While I somewhat doubt the validity of your statement about the ProV1, perhaps it really isn't the ball for you. I personally can see differences sometimes in different premium balls. For instance I swear that Kirtland premium ball from Costco doesn't carry as far as my Titleist ProV1x. And the now defunct Nike premium balls were just garbage from the get go. Working at a golf course affords me the opportunity to go out and play balls side by side on the course in normal playing conditions. I can hit the same shot with the same club and two or three different balls. I can hit driver 4 times off the tee with a couple different balls and actually go and see how they match up distance wise and feel wise. To me the difference between a urethane covered premium ball and Mid range or discount ball is very distinctive.   

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I can say this about premium vs. Non-premium (for me), my swing speed is right around 104-105. I hit a Pro V or Callaway Chrome soft further than any other balls I have played (Snell, Bridgestone, Srixon etc.). I know many have stated it previously but I think you find the ball that works well for you. I will say that the Chrome Soft will back up more than I want it to sometimes (if I'm hitting a 9 iron or less). But I also think I hit the Chrome Soft straighter than the Pro V. I have (and still use) so Bridgestone E6's that work pretty well when I'm out playing with the wife or some buddies.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I have plenty pro v balls but what I’m saying is that at my speed two and three piece surlyn seem to go longer off the tee. Had some Kirkland and they where so dead I gave them to my son in law. I find at my speed I’m hitting drives about 225, that’s leaving me longer approach shots (getting old ain’t for sissys). I need a ball that plays crisp and runs out. I also prefer a ball that putts soft. The Wilson Zip, Duo and 50 do it for me.

I have a large couple containers of golf balls...

This year I stuck with Pinnacle gold mostly.  Worked great.

Last two years or so it was prov1 392 or nothing.  Got into constantly trying the one hop stop spinning pitches.  Found that I am not good enough to do that when I need to.  Often is not reliable enough for me on a basic pitch.  

I agree with Phil Rogers stopping it with trajectory is way more reliable than spin around the greens.

Edited by Jack Watson

What I am seeing from the responses here is when a player tries different balls IE two, three and four piece and finds one that fits their game it does not matter what it does as long as it gives them what they need to play the game. 

On 1/23/2018 at 11:44 AM, amishboy51 said:

Are you buying used premium balls on eBay, or new?

On Ebay.

Now I switched to TaylorMade Project (a)  which seems comparable to TP5s but like $25 a dozen.

Note: This thread is 1908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!