Sign in to follow this  
HozzleRocket

Club Fitting Today

7 posts / 823 viewsLast Reply

Just back from a club fitting at my local golf shop and hope I can get a second opinion from someone on here more knowledgable than I.  I am planning to move back from my single length One Irons to a more standard set of golf clubs.  As much as I liked the single length clubs I am really starting to feel I am losing distances with them.

I went into the shop with the intention of buying the Taylormade M2 irons - I hit them as a rental set abroad recently and found them really nice to hit.  I was fitted for the KBS Tour Stiff shaft and the club being 1 degree more upright than standard.  So we started with the M2 and then a number of different clubs with varying degrees of success - everything from game improvement to blades.  We hit 5 7 iron shots per set which, given that I am a 15 handicap I am very aware that I struggle to hit 5 consistent iron shots on the best of days, I didn't think was enough.  

By the end we had narrowed it down to 3 and this is where I would like some assistance.  I really like the M2s and struck them really nice but the fitter was pushing me to go for something more bladey (if that is the technical term) - given that he was recommending another Taylormade set I can't see this being for sales reasons.  The 3 below are the Taylormade M2s (2017) (Blue on table), Taylormade P790 (Red) and Mizuno MP18s (Green).  I liked the feel of all 3 and the numbers seem quite consistent from a nooby overview (distance) but is there anything standing out as good/bad?  I have set out 4 of the 5 shots as I hit a horror for each which affected the numbers.

As background, I am currently hooking/drawing the ball a lot and the M2s carried this on.  With the Mizunos I actually faded a few but this could be down to tiredness.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 18.28.17.png

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Were you using the KBS shaft in all 3?  Somehow your club speed is 10mph more in the red club than the green.  To me seems like you might have been using a lighter, longer shaft or you were getting tired.  In either case that kind of makes you results not as useful.  Oh, just noticed your ball speed was the same across all clubs.  That actually suggests that the launch monitor was not reading your swing speed right.  So I don't know what to say based on that.

You might do some more tests on the club with the most and least offset to see if that's causing you to aim the clubhead too far left.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, allenc said:

Were you using the KBS shaft in all 3?  Somehow your club speed is 10mph more in the red club than the green.  To me seems like you might have been using a lighter, longer shaft or you were getting tired.  In either case that kind of makes you results not as useful.  Oh, just noticed your ball speed was the same across all clubs.  That actually suggests that the launch monitor was not reading your swing speed right.  So I don't know what to say based on that.

You might do some more tests on the club with the most and least offset to see if that's causing you to aim the clubhead too far left.

Thanks allenc

Yes all 3 with the same shafts so, I agree, quite strange. The mizunos were at the end of the fitting but I do agree that 10mph is a lot.  We used a flightscope so I think it should be accurate. 

Couple things...I'd recalculate the red numbers throwing out shot#3.  It's an awful mishit that skews your ball speed numbers.

I like something that gives u more ball speed with less clubhead speed which, if u toss out shot 3 will be the red.  If not, it'll be the blue.

The Green is worse or everything else except accuracy.  Might have to do with less offset.  The Taylormades you had some wild ones going left.  Just so u know, on flightscope anything left gives you higher numbers...so the 182 yards is only because you went waay left.

Your height was best with the red.  Also, go by what u like too so you don't have buyers remorse...tell the fitter you want the M2 heads and want tobtey different shafts.  The KBS Tour shaft..my fitter calls a " throwaway" shaft.  So look at Nippon Modus 3 shafts, 105, 120 and 125,  Project x LZ....  I can't say enough good things about the Modus.

It's your money, Sony let him talk you into something you'll have doubts about.

18 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

Couple things...I'd recalculate the red numbers throwing out shot#3.  It's an awful mishit that skews your ball speed numbers.

I like something that gives u more ball speed with less clubhead speed which, if u toss out shot 3 will be the red.  If not, it'll be the blue.

The Green is worse or everything else except accuracy.  Might have to do with less offset.  The Taylormades you had some wild ones going left.  Just so u know, on flightscope anything left gives you higher numbers...so the 182 yards is only because you went waay left.

Your height was best with the red.  Also, go by what u like too so you don't have buyers remorse...tell the fitter you want the M2 heads and want tobtey different shafts.  The KBS Tour shaft..my fitter calls a " throwaway" shaft.  So look at Nippon Modus 3 shafts, 105, 120 and 125,  Project x LZ....  I can't say enough good things about the Modus.

It's your money, Sony let him talk you into something you'll have doubts about.

Thanks very much.  I do not personally think I am a good enough player for the mizunos (yet) so I am glad the numbers read that way.

Thanks also for the shaft recommendations - I was just going along with the recommendation but good to know that there are better options out there

Hozzel, make sure its a decent fitter...not some schmuck at Golf Galaxy.  Look up Golf Digests top 100 fitters and you will see a couple in your state.

You really want to go in with a head that looks good to you and inspires confidence when you look down at it.  From there tell the fitter i I want "x" head, or even if u have 2 heads you like...tell him it's these 2 heads I need to be fit into and THEN go in with an open mind.

At least during the fitting you know you like the head, so when he is popping different shafts in and out...you know the shaft is the issue.

With me it's funny...I've always had Ping irons.  I told my fitter that I'm friends with that.  I send him all my customers. He laughs because he fits me for my driver, wedges which are TM and Callaway.  He always says " we have to fit u into irons" ( I've only been fit at Ping for irons).  I tell him...do what u want but they are going in Ping heads!  So...nothing yet.

As others have said, your shots are trending to the left. You might get a swing check to make sure you don't have motion that moves the ball left.

Also, do the tile test. Find a floor with square tiles, and put down a ball and address it with the new test club club. Lay the club square to the back tile line. If your old irons have different lie angle or amount of offset, you may need to retrain your eye for what square alignment actually looks like for the new irons.  You may think it's square from what your old irons looked like, when you're actually closing it a degree or two at address.

4 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Hozzel, make sure its a decent fitter...not some schmuck at Golf Galaxy. 

GG fitters vary in skill from store to store. The stores with a better work environment tend to keep fitters for quite awhile. Also, check on wall of shop to see what clubsmithing schools people have been to. That's one indicator (but not a guarantee).