IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Day 177 - July 30, 2018 - Practiced for ten minutes on the mat at Chautauqua. Did a few drills where I stop at A6 and pump, and a few just full swings at slower speeds to feel the backswing. I was lining up right, so I focused on that a bit as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 1.

Went to the range and worked on two pieces in the full swing.  First, I worked to have the clubhead bisect my hands at A2 and also working on not having the club go too far back and cross the line at A4.  Took video and will be posting on my swing thread.  Also practiced some putting because I read the thread @iacas started on not accelerating the putter.  Felt different but good and the biggest takeaway was that I had to bring the putter-head much further back than I expected. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Day 6

Practiced 25yd pitch shots to a chipping net out of the rough.

Worked on right arm external rotation in the back swing, then rotate and squat in the down swing transition in front of a mirror.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Day 57.  I spent at least five minutes this afternoon practicing my grip as per Mike's thread on the topic, as well as making backswings with the grip.  It isn't something I've checked in a long time and I've seen good players answer that they check their grip somewhere between rarely if ever and every range session.  So I figure I should at least check periodically.   Also I'm on a non-golf vacation and I'm happy to have done some golf thing today.  

If this isn't something that should count for the contest, I believe my last miss was early July so I'm still within the 26-for-28 range;  let me know if I need to count this as a missed day. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 45, July 31

Playing 18 today. I will focus on set up and just 'trust' the swing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 13: 

Got about 10 minutes of short game work in prior to the floodgates opening up. Spent most of that time in the practice bunker. 

Day 26,

Today I was primarily focusing, slowly, with steps 1&2 of 5SK.  The position of the head during the swing seems a bit of a good habit for the most part. Still keeping a focus on the warm-up through slow motions to doing a mental her and even visual check.   Step 2 is, for me, a little for unsettled. as moving hips and shifting weight.  Ended up hitting only about 25 balls but the feel was good. Now to blend them even more consistently. Goal is to make the mental checklist quicker before every shot for now.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 211

Played 18 holes with some long time friends earlier today. Shot an 80, on a par 70 course. Had a couple of birds, and a couple double bogies. Rest were either pars, or bogey 1s.

I just focused on hitting the ball, while using very few, if any swing thoughts. That, and keeping my beverage cold.

One of the doubles was a total brain fart for all of us. We all got to a green in regulation. Turned out it was the wrong green. Hey, I just followed the guy in front of me. lol

Luckily we found our mistake before the flat sticks  we're pulled. The correct green was 50, or so yards away. To avoid damaging the wrong green, we used choked down, punched drivers. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 252    Finished the Long Putt Assessment.   Scored 97%    Made 97 out of 100 putts within a 3 foot circle around the hole from distances varying from 15-42 feet.  I got unfocused at 39 feet and that is where I hit three putts that did not make it into the circle.  So I put 10 putts within 3 feet of the hole from 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, and 42 feet.  But only 7/10 from 39 feet.

Then began the short putt assessment which is putts from 3-12 feet.   I made 40/40 putts from 3 feet.  And 10/10 from 6 feet.  I stopped at this point to head to the range. I will finish this assessment tomorrow which involves 40 putts from 6, 9 and 12 feet.  Setting up tees in a NSEW position around the hole... and tracking percentage made.

I did Feet Together and Finger Down The Shaft Drills.   Then finish with lots of wedges to a flag 35 yards away -- worked 50% on technique and then 50% on hitting the target (which are 6 feet around the hole).  And then the lightning came.. so time to go in. 

Day 7

Worked on short pitch shots from the rough at 25yds.

Right arm external rotation using the impact ball with driver.

25 putts on Utley plane board. 25 putts without.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Day 2.

Another range session focusing on clubhead bisecting hands at A2, shortening the backswing, and trying to keep my left arm straighter at A4.

Christian

• Administrator

Day 178 - July 31, 2018 - Played the Bedford Springs course while helping @NatalieB and Breckin with their tournament prep.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 58.  Did you know 58 is the lowest score ever recorded on the PGA Tour?  I am not at the same level as Jim Furyk, who shot said 58, but that didn't stop me from practicing today.  I hit a bucket at the range (because I wanted to see ball flight), slowly, working on my latest evolvr lesson.  And I think I'm at the point where I'm doing it the way suggested, finally, after today's session, and if I feel that way tomorrow morning, I'll get it on video to check in with my instructor.

In the middle, I swung my SpeedSticks.  For the first time, I saw values over 100 (one green and one blue swing on normal, all three greens on the step thing).  I finished it off by hitting three driver shots off a tee with the radar to see my swing speed hitting a ball, managed 95 96 and 99.  Which I'd be happy with (last time I recorded it, and it was when I got fit for my driver 2-3 years ago, capped out at 92 mph).  So this is anecdotal, but that's going well.

Lastly, I hit about three dozen chips of 10-25 yards.  I should have done a drill.  

I did not putt today.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 212

Played another 18 holes this morning. We made sure to play the right greens this time around.

Shot an 82 in my usual fashion. 

We played a little game. 5 of us started on #1, and the other 5 started on #10. It was a race to complete 90 holes. Losers paid. 

There's talk of playing another 18 this afternoon.........when it warms up a little more.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 46, August 1

Mirror work at the gym. Focused on set up. Worked well in the first 9 yesterday, then I got a bit sloppy at the end of the round. Got dehydrated even though I drank 6 bottle of water.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 252    Spent awhile on the putting green continuing the Short Putt Assessment.  So far I have made 40/40 from 3 feet, and today 36/40 from 6 feet as well as 10 in a row from 9 feet.  All putts have a slight break to them.  Tomorrow I plan to hit the other 30 from 9 feet and start on the 12 footers.

While on the green the Sandhill Cranes took over for about 10 minutes.. they walk all over the green, squawk loudly, chase each other and are just a nuisance.  Then I missed a couple of the 6 foot putts -- so I am blaming them for not doing any better on that part of the drill.  LOL!!! 

Spent time on the range working through Feet Together, Finger Down the Shaft, and 4 O'clock drills.  Then worked on 35 yard pitch shots -- half pure technique and the other half on hitting to the target.  I alternated this with hitting to an 80 yard flag.  Lots of work to do on technique though I am getting more knowledgeable about the concepts and hitting more quality shots.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Day 27

Today I was continuing focusing, slowly, with steps 1&2 of 5SK.  Much better on shifting the weight and hips and coordinating the moments of stress and relaxation.  The 25 shots I took were straighter and while the shots were primarily 50-60% of full swing speed and power, the lift seemed quite strong and very few showed any quick slice.  Tomorrow will pick up the pace and if I start early enough, I may play 9.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 3.

Did mirror work, working on the feeling of keeping my trail arm straight to limit the length of my backswing. 

Christian