IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 18:

Day 17 was a missed day due to friends wedding activities. Today I spent 15 minutes hitting foam balls into my fence. Worked on my usual feels and focused on starting lines. Hit the ball well until the last 5 minutes I started getting thin. Slowed down my tempo and that helped. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 48, Aug 5

Filmed my swing hitting into a net. Very humid, so it was only about 30 minutes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 12

Was planning to play 9 holes this morning with some coworkers. They talked me into playing 12 holes.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/coachjimsc/round/2322197

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator

Day 183 - August 5, 2018 - http://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/2323119

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 63.  10' drill on the putting green (from Broadie), took me 24 holes to sink a total of five ~10' putts;  the other 19 were all two-putts without ever leaving the first one short, something I'm very happy with (I also had very few second putts over about a foot and a half).  This is my best performance in the drill by far.  According to Broadie (p187), an 80-golfer would have a median of 24 holes to win.  This is obviously not my median but is encouraging. 

My focus on putting has been (a) not having my finger down the shaft/grip of the putter (a change from my former grip) and (b) not accelerating through the ball.  The former especially is new, and although Erik said in his post not to judge results immediately, I have putted better both in practice and on the course (tried for two rounds, lost 0.92 and 1.08 strokes putting respectively, a huge improvement over my norm, although some of that is attributable to the amount of practice in that area I have done the past few weeks)... anyway.

I proceeded then to the range about 15 range balls, working on key#1 as per latest lesson.  I then did the speed sticks' newbie drill (the left handed with the step will kill me one day, mark my words), including hitting four drives with the measuring device out (86, 85, 93, 95;  that makes sense given observed driving distances lately).  I then finished the bucket (~30 total) continuing to work on key #1.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 217

Due to a very limited area to hit balls, I dug out my "Birdie Balls" to hit for a few minutes this morning. 

Just easy, tempo swings with my AW. Using the "BBs" allowed me to take a 3/4 swing with a very limited flight of the simulated ball. Just wanted to get some real swings in to losen up. 

For those who don't know what "Birdie Balls" are, the look like a short piece of 1-1/4 " (?) PVC pipe with beveled ends. They are representative of one's ball flight after being struck by the club. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 32

Quick basket of 25 and then off to play  18 with a friend from teaching.  Shot 96.  Three sand traps (one not deep, two into deep sand) and I got out of them ok.  Putting was not bad and most were 2 strokes or better.  Did not eat my Wheaties this AM as many off my longer drives and second shots simply fell short.  It was a longer course than usual by about 450 yards and I did not correctly adjust some of my club choices. Signs my game IS getting better, some needs for work pointed out.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 257   Got a late start since we are building a new home AND there were errands like meeting with the Construction Supt to discuss location of downspouts, wattage of LED lights, then to a store to order two ceiling fans, ... I won't bore you -- but in six weeks we will be in our new home.

So headed to the range to work on the drills that I was assigned last week - did that for an hour than headed out to play nine holes.   Shot even par hitting 7/9 GIR and successfully getting up and down on the two I missed.  All the work I have been doing on my putting paid off -- started by missing the first green and sinking an 11 footer for par... not the best pitch shot... but it was still a par!  :-)  The link below takes you to the round.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/JuanTheGolfer/round/2324434

Day 19: 

20+ minutes of range time. Focused on Driver and 3 wood today. Made some set up adjustments and started hitting some pretty good drives. Misses are slight pulls, and push fades. 

• Administrator

Day 184 - August 6, 2018 - Putting while helping "the girls" out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 64.  Three days of practice remain before the club championship after today.  I hit 30 balls at the range today;  only the first 10 can really be called "practice," in the sense of improving my swing, working on the latest evolvr lesson, which I now know (since the session) that I'm not exaggerating enough to change the picture.   Since I am hitting the ball fine in the meantime, I am going to wait until after the tournament to make this change.  The other 20 balls were four each with the five longest clubs (5-iron, two hybrids, fairway metal, driver), as I expect to be hitting them quite a bit coming up.  I didn't really realize this until recently, but wow do I not have a lot of short approach shots on my home course.  Actually I probably knew that quite a bit.

As I'm in tournament preparation mode, what I do to practice in the coming days may not match what I'll be doing next week as then I'll be back to general improvement not cramming.

I also did two around-the-clock drills from 9'.  This is the course with the tough putting green, but I can't quite put my finger on why I think this particular practice putting green is harder than the others.  Anyway, I made 4/12 on both iterations, three-putting none of them (but unlike the 10' drill with one ball, I didn't hit them all to the hole, even though I really shouldn't be leaving 9' putts short).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 13

Hit Driver, 7 iron and LW at the range.

Practiced chipping technique with LW from 10-20 yards out onto the putting green.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Day 33

Started to focus on 5SK #3 (with refreshing #1, #1 SKs). Still working on a somewhat straight and steady hand at moment of impact; something I kew needed some practice for some time.  Not perfect today but some progress.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 218

Hit some more 1/2 & 3/4 easy swing "Birdie Balls" this morning. These were not normal speed swings. 

Focus was on sending the BB's to a couple of laundry baskets my wife let me borrow. I think the baskets needed to be bigger, with wider openings. Near misses are still misses. Went 10 for 60.

Big plus is, that most of the soreness is gone from last week's golfing marathon. Nothing physically weird left over anyways. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 258   Spent an hour on the range using a couple of the drills I was assigned last week to help me with my swing motion.  Then went to the putting green for 45 minutes working through 3-6 feet on a putting drill which is designed to  put stress on each putt.