IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 11:  at the risk of sounding like a broken mp3, club across the chest drill from my latest evolvr lesson. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 4

1/13

Driving range. Loving the solid contact and reasonable consistency with the 7 iron. Not loving that I still can't get my hands inside and still hitting a slice with my 5iron+

Putted for nearly an hour. 3' / 6' / 9' game on LSW - didn't make all 3 from 9' more work to be done. Worked on distance control from 25'. Putted 9 holes from 10+ on each. 18 putts.

Going to have to be creative as rain is coming this week and outside practice isn't likely to happen.

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

Day 378

Just some out door putting practice this morning. 

Thought I would have a little fun, and work on a particular putt, that is highly unmakeable. 

The cup is cut on a shoulder of a tiered portion of the green. Putting from another cup  below the shouldered cup, I would have a right to left break. The best miss on this putt would be to have the ball stop a few inches on the other side of the cup. This would leave an easy tap in. If I went to make the putt, a miss would roll the ball off the green. Too far away from the cup, on the second tier,  a missed putt would roll down hill, and off the green. A putt short of the cup, would still wind up off the green 15' away. I didn't make any of the 20 putts I rolled at this cup placement. 

This particular practice cup is for practicing uphill, straight putts. If on the course, playing for a score, a golfer familiar with this type of cup position, would try to place their approach shot, or first putt directly below, giving them a straight, up hill putt. Just like fairways, some greens have preferred landing areas in reference the cup. 

After working with  that tough putt, I took one game ball, and putted to 6 other practice cups, three times. 6 clockwise. 6 counter clockwise, and 6 from where ever. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 100, January 14, 30F

Super Speed training, starter protocol, day 1. Followed with pitching in the yard with PW, 54 and 58 wedges.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 414    Very late start!! :-(   I did not get to the course until 2:15 in the afternoon, at that time both the range and the chipping/bunker green were very busy, so I headed for the putting green.  Two plus hours later I headed home.  I worked A LOT with the Pelz Putting Tutor to get feedback and train on my skill in starting the ball on line.   Then I did the STAR drill again today, however, I only completed it from 3 and 4 feet.    Then I hit 20 putts from distances of 15-35 feet with a focus on distance control.   Of the 20, those that did not go into the cup, they all finished within 2 feet of the cup.   Distance control is one of my best putting skills!! :-)

Day 36.  Played Cypress Tree at Maxwell AFB.  1st time here, walked and really enjoyed it even though it was a tad chilly.  Holed out from 127 on #7 for my 1st Eagle of the New Year.  Shot 87, with only 27 putts, so I obviously missed a lot of greens.  Will work on irons rest of week.

DAY 182

Wonderful day to play LSW putting games.  (OK, not games, per se, but with focus, I still had a good bit of fun doing so.  I approached it without stress of doing it too worried.)

Decided I needed to spend a good part of day doing these before my Wednesday attack of a course.  It took me a long time, again, today to finish up to 9'.  I still tend to finish my putts a bit short.  So, I took a break for much needed coffee!  

When I came back to the effort, I did what was needed to  visualize and putt to a point 2' beyond the cup.  While I did clunk a few, my "drop in one rate" increased greatly. I simply need to add a bit more speed, as line and line of break was good.  I have always been able to read greek fairly well. I am not sure why I cannot seem to get my head around this matter of ball speed. Ok, it is a somewhat new to me putter, heavier than my 45 year old tapper, but still.

As well, I spent about 1/2 hour on trap work. Most, but not all had good loft up to the green, though I did send a few  beyond the practice green and needed to chip back on.  I need to do this in my practice more often. I used my 56º for my sand wedge and I am getting fairly solid on taking sand though the whole shot. I thought more of a continuous motion as opposed to hitting the ball a la lob!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 335 - January 14, 2019 - Really good practice session today. Did a lot of backswing to transition work. Moved the big mirror to the front of me, so I could see without much distortion (versus the curved mirrors we have).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 94: Worked on pitching today. Working on making sure I hit my spot by keeping my head more steady. Definitely something that I can help a lot with just a few minutes of practices.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 5
1/14/19

5 minutes - combo "ball bounce" to prevent club face opening in takeaway (A2) + Club across chest and shoulder/waist rotation.

60+ minutes - how to shallow out swing thread + videos + looking at my swing videos trying to understand why my right shoulder seems to be the 1st thing that moves in the downswing and why does it move forward (towards the ball) creaing a serious OTT swing.

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

Day 379

After last night's rain I am pretty sure the two practice areas I frequent are a mess. 

So it was a few.minutes of carpet putting this morning. Nothing fancy. Targets were various pieces of furniture, and their legs. I was putting on pergo carpet, so it was hard to miss my targets by more than a normal golf cup width. 

Perhaps later, if it dries up a little, I will make the 5 minute drive to the short game practice area. I have been thinking about spending a few practice days on just the basics of my own game. A general focus on everything, so to speak. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 15, 15 January

Working on swing plane, with focus on takeaway and position at the top of my backswing. Also working on pace / rhythm. Used 8i. 15 mins.

5 mins putting from 6-7ft.

DAY 415    Short day at the golf course.... spent 90 minutes hitting chips with my 7 iron and my 52 degree wedge.  I am hitting them SO much better than a month ago...  even I was impressed.  Do I have a LONG way to go YES!!   But my ball contact is  lot better which is how I judged the session.   Still my MACH 3 workout to do, and some work with my Impact Snap...some time today!!

Day 183:

Well now, 1/2 year on this quest.  Made wonderful strides forward and looking forward to continued lower scores and improved techniques!

Today I focused with both my 6i and driver on something the has appeared in my latest photos.  I seem to be doing a bit of the chicken dance with my elbows, especially on the downswing.  And, as a result I suspect that is why I have gained a bit of a hook or slice in my shots as of late.

I need to not allow the elbows to bound to far ahead of where they should be, especially as I actually hit the small sphere.  So I spent today doing some exercises that I found on line which allows me to create a sense of not letting a weird sense of allowing arms to lose their straight aspects too soon.  I spent about 45 minutes and this and did little more than do the exercise and about 30 swings.

Again, I am not looking for a dead center line, just both narrowing the divergence as well as predicting where it will land.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 101, January 15

Mirror work at then gym at lunch followed by some golf specific resistance work. Then in the PM, worked on my priority piece hitting into my net. filmed it with Mirror Vison.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Day 336 - January 15, 2019 - SuperSpeed plus putted for awhile against one of the college kids. Stroke was good after awhile, and I made three of the last four to beat him three up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 95: Worked on the full swing with mirror work today. Working on the right feel for combining soft wrists in transition along with a more slightly closed clubface. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint: