IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 1: 

Got away from posting here for a few days. But I have practiced every day. Today spent about 5 minutes on my priority piece. Hit some foam balls with the feeling. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 16, 16 January

An early start today, so far over 30 minutes of putting. From 5ft and 6ft, working on taking the patter back on a straight line then a steady stroke through. My challenge is to get 5 in a row before a short break. I have achieved this on a number of occasions, with 10-in-a-Row being the max score.

I also spent 10 mins with my 6 iron, hitting shots into an impact screen, working on the same principles as I did with the putter: bringing the club back in plane, followed by a steady stroke through the ball.

Posted  now but I will continue when I get the opportunity later this evening.

Day 1

Put up a hitting net in back yard yesterday and worked on my takeaway. Trying to get the club back a little more square and a little slower. Trying to increase my arc. Gonna take some practice to get that grooved. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Day 380

Foggy (low clouds?) and still wet outside, so another morning of indoor putting. 

I tried that " hip slide" (?) putting method that is being discussed in another thread on here. Well I think I tried based on the info shared by the OP. It's doable, and I will leave it at that. 

Using my normal putting stroke, I was hitting my 8' "skinny" targets on a better than regular basis this morning. More of the misses would have still dropped in the cup. Of course I was putting on bssically level, perfect conditions. 

The take away from this putting practice is, I was aligning myself correctly, and I was rolling straight putts. All I could ask for. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 102, January 16

Mirror work at the gym focusing on head position at set up. Hope to do Super Speed later if the weather holds. 

Edit: I did get to do SS training after work. 98/96 were my top speeds with the green before and after. Followed with pitching in the yard then about 10 swings working on my priority piece at about 60%. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 2: 

Shortish Range session due to rain rolling in. Got a little wet. Worked on my priority piece. I will keep working on it. Also talked to a possible instructor about a lesson. Not sure yet about pulling the trigger but I am leaning towards it. 

Day 194:

My 5 minutes off practice was simple. 15 Minutes with Orange Wand® prior to hitting 15 or so shots prior to a round. Felt really well hedding to first tee.

Last of the nearby courses.  Longer than I have played to date by ~600 yards,  but not an overly problematic course.  More dog legs than I have encountered to date, a good deal many more fairway bunkers, none of them deep, and easily played out of.  Some water comes into play, but can be avoided.  A  narrower fairways in places, they will become more avoidable if I play this a bit more often. 

105 for the round today, most problematic was leaving myself with 20'+ putts and a few longer second shots due to tee shots off my expected line.  

Need to hit my chips and wedges more to the middle of the green as opposed to being happy I simply got it to the green. I am getting fantastic lift and the no roll that comes with it.

If you would have told me 18 months ago I would feel a bit disappointed with a 105, I would have chuckled loudly. My frustration is I can with regularity break 100.  Heck, on a fantastic day in the last 6 months, I have broken 90.  But, my disappointment was tempered on a clear, warm day by the overall fun I had.  I no longer am happy with how a shot came out but by the results I know should happen. But I still had the joy of playing.

Tomorrow will be a work day and reading the parts of LSW on planning for the course.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 416  Cold day in South Florida... the high was 60 but the feels like was lower.  So at 1 pm when I thought it was as warm as it was going to get... I headed over to the range to work through several drills to help with my backswing and staying in posture on the downswing.  90 minutes later I was tired of doing the drills and wanted to see about my progress on the course versus on the range.

So I headed over to River Club to play 9 holes... well the course was jammed with 9 holers... So I drove to the 10th tee and no one was on the back 9.  Even though it was windy now, and the clouds were blocking any sun, so it was getting colder, I still was determined.   I shot 1 over par from the White Tees (3000 yards)... but only hit 3 GIR (usually I would have hit 6 in normal weather conditions).  While very pleased with the score... I froze out there.  Temperature dropped to below 55 and the winds got up so that into the wind it was a 2 club wind plus.  The best example of that was the 16th hole which is 355 yards.  The green is surrounded by water in front and around to the back.  Normally this is a drive and 7-iron.  Today it was a drive and 3 wood!!! And two putts later I left with a par.  The 18th hole was another example, I was 102 out after putting the ball in the fairway off the tee... normally this would be a wedge... I hit a full 8-iron that barely made it on the green.  My hands were cold... well enough whining.  Glad I got out and played and glad my work has been paying off.  Hoping for warmer weather SOON!!  After all it is Florida. :-)

• Administrator

Day 337 - January 16, 2019 - A short session today a lot like yesterday's. Good hits.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 96: Full swing mirror work again today. Still working on combining the soft wrist feel with a more closed clubface. Really liking my progress there. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 17, 17 January

An early start, pre-heading out to work, to maintain the momentum.

Hitting into a net for 10 minutes, with 9i and 6i, working on takeaway on plane and position at the top of a backswing. I saw some footage of a nice swing on Twitter and it resonated with what i am working on, so I had that visual in my mind and it helped.

Also, carpet putting from 6ft. Building on recent focus on bringing the putter back on a straight line with a steady stroke through, I was focusing on th distance of the takeaway. I minimised this to help gain control and I sunk 24 consecutive putts.

Day 381

Still pretty wet, with more rain anticipated. 

Just spent a few minutes chipping using my putting stroke. I adopted Paul Runyon's (YouTube). chip/putt stroke a long time ago. I chip balls using my putting set up, and stroke. Easy, and quite accurate for me. 

I stroked the balls off my (diy) strike pad with synthetic turf glued to it. It simulates lies around the green really well. I also use it to simulate full swings from fairway lies. It allows me to hit the ball first, then the fake turf in a normal, smoothe swing motion. 

Focus was on my address position, up right (putting) posture, ball in my stance, club selection, club face angle, and landind the ball on, or near some targets. Targets represented landing areas, about 2' feet on the green if I were actually practicing chips on a real green. I placed the targets different distances from my chipping spot to simulate different chipping distances to greens. 

Hopefully we will start drying out around here in a day, or two. Weather guy says this should be the last storm for a while.  I want to get back out on the course for some play, and practice. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 3: 

Man good practice today. I am still working on my priority piece (shallowing club), but I used a different feel today. I tried to keep my trail forearm rotating too soon, and keep it more "supinated" through the downswing before I delivered the clubbed to the ball.  Weird feeling, had to go slow at first but as able to hit some nice full shots with it too. It feels so weird but the results were great. I am gonna investigate this feel more. 

Day 103, January 17

Mirror work at the gym. I bought a better stance mat to stand on to hit foam balls. Focused on centered hip turn and pitch elbow to A6.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 417   Headed over to River Club to practice and warm-up before my lesson.  Hit balls for about an hour, working on backswing (staying more centered over the ball) and downswing (moving past the ball after impact rather than hanging back).   Spent an hour with my coach, working through a Blueprint for Improvement this coming Quarter.  Set up 3 things to focus on during all my full swing practice.  

Then headed to the course near my home to practice... however, with the 70 degree weather the range was a "mob scene" so I went out to the putting green near the first hole and worked on 3-4 foot putts using a hole with a LOT OF BREAK. After an hour of work on these short putts, I finished by having a putting contest with a friend who played in  PGA tournaments in his younger days.   

Day 185 (yesterday, I accidentally posted as day 194!)

Sort of a double up practice.  I went to the Top Tracer to take a serious look at my irons 5-9 to get a solid read of what I can expect to hit.  They all were bracketed by 7-10 yards.  That seems to be in line with what I thought I was getting from each club.  And, I was having a good day with direction, nothing beyond a slight draw.  I printed out the results and will use this as a guide for the next round. 

When I found I had time in the afternoon for a second stop off at the range, I decided to take my tracer results from earlier and direct shots at various spots on the course that I know are roughly x distance from the tees.  The goal was not to be overly short of my targets in any significant way as I was yesterday in my round. And get a better sense of "which club when"!

I did not hit at the same target for two strokes in a row.  I rarely hit very short, I found I had to simply rethink the yardage for each club.  Best results were from the 7 iron and the 5 often was short.  I made sure I was doing everything as well as I can with the address through stroke. 

I will continue to make sure I am set for improving ball speed without simply trying to overpower. One thing I have noticed is that my stance has somehow closed up the feet a lot.  I have a session with my coach tomorrow and he already knows I would like to gain 5 mph at least.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 338 - January 17, 2019 - Just a little putting work after a workout.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 97: Full swing mirror work again today. Working on closing the club face a bit in transition with my soft wrists feel.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint: