IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Day 341 - January 20, 2019 - Full swing work for five minutes, putting for ten. GE was pretty busy today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 100: Back to the mirror work today on my full swing. Working on the feel of softening my wrists in transition and closing my clubface at the same time. Liking how it's looking and feeling.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 107, January 21 Frickin’ freezing out! 😜

Mirror work at the gym and golf specific resistance band work. Focused on centered hip turn and pitch elbow on the down swing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 7: 

Range session today. Tried to hit some shots with the feel of proper forearm rotation in transition. Hit some better shots, but I have a long long way to go! Oddly enough, the driver was very solid with this feel today. 

Day 189

Went in to the range with my Whip and two red sticks with one major goal: to get back to a more in-out swing.  It had left In the Still of the Night and the result has been a wild arc of off line shots, as much as 15 yards off center.  I had already double checked stance and grip.  So the thing left to work on was in-out.  I reviewed a few lessons on this topic to be as ready as possible.

I set up one stick pointing towards my target.  Then I set up a stick for my feet.  When I was all finished, the direction stick was at about 10º from parallel to the foot alignment.  After a few practice swings, I opened the angle just a tad more.

I focused on a square set for the club (started with a 7i). Visually, I thought I was going to hit the ball along the directional stick.  The end results were consistent soft draws, as opposed to the overly off draws I had been hitting the last few weeks.  Through 50 whacks or so, 6i, 7i, 9i and 4h included, I got fairly good results.  Two shots when I did not hit the ball well gave my a solid slice.  3-4 shots were on line but basically threatened a few gophers.

Near the end of my session the wind kicked up quite a bit and one shot was clearly blown off course.  That one was fun to watch, great lift through the shot, outstanding distance and I could clearly see the effect of the wind.

The obvious task is to make this repeatable the next times at the range.  Finished a bit too early in the day to quaff one of my home-brews, so tonight I will toast this solid session.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 101: Spent about 45 minutes at the range. Trying to be really slow and specific, working on my feel in transition to close the face a bit along with keeping them soft. Was happy with how I stayed slow and didn't rush through my bucket for a change. Making some progress on my priority piece, too. Happy with that today.

-- Daniel

Day 385

Played 18 in windy conditions today shot an 89, which I am quite pleased with. It's been quite a while since I carded a score of 90, or more. The breaking 90 streak is still on going. 

No 6s today, but way too many 5s. 

With the wind, I drove a 230 yard green with my 7 wood. (+65 yards) At the other extreme was a 170 (-45 yards) yard drive into the wind. Most holes were either with, or against the wind. 

What really got me was my putting. Since this course was pretty wide open with few wind breaks, I had several putts blow off line. This, even though I tried to factor in the ground winds. Tough to watch an easy 3 footer, miss the hole by 6" inched due to the ground wind. 

Better weather, and better scores are  ahead for me. No worries. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 421   Spent 30 minutes on the putting green doing a short putt drill.   Set tees at four points around a hole at 3 feet from the hole.  Hit all four putts, then do the same at another hole, and another.....in all you do this to 9 different holes on the putting green.   Minimum is making 33/36.  If you do not make that number you have to do 100 crunches!!   Thank heavens I made 33, as this old guys dropping down and giving 100 next to the green would not be that much fun or look that great!!  And who would pick me up!!

I spent the afternoon working at a junior golf academy, and the above drill was the first one of the day for these kids. Then after warming up we went out to the course to play 9 holes.... where we set up a Point Game to help them better identify their strengths and weaknesses.   ... which would drive their focus in training for the next week.  And if also gave us another opportunity to see them in action.... and how the training was transferring.

• Administrator

Day 342 - January 21, 2019 - Cleaned the office, so I only had time to do a little putting in the living room while watching TV.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 386

Worked on various, shorter approach shots this morning. From 60 yards on in to my target.

Used 1/2-3/4 swings mostly. Flop (lob) shots, pitch shots, and chip shots. 

Focuses were on my set ups for these shots. Body, and club face alignments to get the ball fly/roll as near as possible to my intended target. 

On my flops,  my set up is a little different. I open my club face, while keeping it square to my target line. To offset the open club face, I also open my body stance aligning everything left of my target. (feet, knees, waist, torso)  Then it's just a matter of swinging club along my shoulder line, with an out to in swing in relation to my club face target line. The flops I use when I need the ball to drop and stop near my target. Also to clear a hazard protecting a tight target. I sometimes use what I call a "mini flop" when near the green, with the pin a few feet away, but protected by some sort irrigation parts. Something that would not allow me to putt.  The "flopper" is one of my favorite "goto" shots to use.  

My normal pitch shot club face aim, and body aim are pretty standard as far a normal instruction goes. Club face square to the target line, and my body paraellel to the club face. Club selection is important for the carry vs the roll required.

My chip shot set up is similar to my flop set up since I use Paul Runyon's chip/putt stroke. The more up right shaft, and hitting the ball more off the toe of the club face requires a slightly open stance. Then I just use my putting stroke. Very easy, and accurate for me. 

If this breeze dies down a little, I might play for a score later today. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 22, 22 January 

I didn’t think Inwould get much opportunity today but things changed and managed to find an hour hitting balls in my garage, using my SkyTrak.

instarted with my 8i, again working on my swing path and movement through the ball. I hit 35 balls.

I then moved on to my driver, same thing, but really focusing on rotating my shoulders to deliver the club to th ball in an upwards motion. I hit about 80 balls.

DAY 422    Got out before Noon to spend an hour on the putting green, working on technique using the Pelz Putting Tutor, and then a distance drill.  The distance drill had me draw a line 1 foot in front of the hole, and 2 feet behind.  You hit one ball starting at 15 feet and continuing in 5 foot increments back to 60 feet.   If the ball is between the front and rear line you earn a point, if it goes in you earn 3 points, if you are short of long, you lose a point.  The goal is to end up positive.... if you do not, you have to do the drill over again!!   Well then there is the 100 crunches for not completing it successfully.  :-)

Then went to the range for 90 minutes to work on keeping my head quieter on the backswing so I am not swaying off the ball, and moving into a better impact position.  I hit 5, 6 and 7 irons.  Then hit 8 drivers to a "fairway".  Finished with 20 wedges to a target 80 yards away.   Solid day of practice.

• Administrator

Day 343 - January 22, 2019 - SuperSpeed, but before that, a good 20 minutes of practice on the backswing and a little twist in transition. A good number of solid shots.

Day 8:

Played 18 holes. Shot somewhere around 120. Usual shanks and such. Only good thing was I played the replica course in Houston I have wanted to play for awhile and made par on the replica of Augusta’s #12. 

Day 102: Spent 5 minutes on full swing mirror work. Working on combining the soft wrist feel with a slightly more closed club face. I think it's coming along nicely.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

Day 190

Continued today with a focus on in-out swing path with an attention to my Driver.  With few exceptions, I seemed to retain the gains from yesterday.  

Once again, I used my red sticks and the Orange Whip to get used to the path I wanted to use. After a good 20 minutes or so, I felt warmed up for the task at hand.  One aspect I have thought of for the last day or so: in order to feel I have warmed up for a focus on swing path, I need to really concentrate as the weighted weapon requires that to burn a correct feel into the mind and muscles. That process keeps the whip from knocking me off of balance with my physical limitations. When all goes well, I feel a good rhythm of the swing.

I decided to take my time; I ended up taking only 50 whacks at the small ball.

I was happy with the results.  This focus allowed me to increase the ball speed to some of the highest and consistently higher rates in quite some time.  Given that and a good AoA from a better drive, distance was a greatly improved number.  Lately I was lucky to go 175 yards with another 5 os so roll.  I added another 10-15 in flight and ended up, according to Top Tracker on average 195-225.  While those numbers will never win a long drive contest, for me it marked a yardage that usually will take more than a few strokes off of my scores.

I still had some deviation from my aiming line, but, it was narrower than it had been from some time.  Given my usual courses, that has the potential to save, perhaps a stroke or two, depending on the hole in question.

While it still needs to become a focused part of my warm-ups in the future, I feel these have been some of my best overall best range days in some time.

Tomorrow will be 9 at the executive course and I shall be working on not allowing the fact that I am playing a round with scorecard in hand deter me from transferring the skill from the range to the holes before me.  As with many of my fellow hackers, this is a psychologically wrought problem to gain progress upon.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).