IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 25, 25 January

30 minutes hitting balls into a net with my 8i. I was working on my swing plane and not attacking the ball at too steep an angle. I’ll probably return to work on this later on this evening.

Haven’t reported my progress for a while now. I tried to compare results from a prototype speed gain club as compared to the SS.

Did my usual daily practice today...generally about 15-20 minutes, but I’m focusing on my wrist and pressure shift because I’m attempting to activily put “speed” with my arms. Doing that at first lead to 20 degree dead pulls. Then I adjusted the swing feel to a push and ended up pushing 10 degrees or so.

For now, I’ll make them “feel” more passive through the swing. Just experimenting.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Day 346 - January 25, 2019 - Fifteen minutes working on the backswing piece. I feel pretty good about it and will transition to mostly the transition/downswing soon. My daughter recorded a video FO/DL, but Hudl app crashes when I try to export it for now, and one is rotated 90° from where it should be… and neither are very horizontal. 🙂 You get what you pay for… 😄 

Forgot to add too that I did SuperSpeed. First one of week four.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 424    Cold and windy, so practice was with my shortened 5 iron, moving into positions throughout the swing.  And a little work with my Impact Ball to help with keeping my arms together.  Looks like it will be indoors for a few days.

Also, attended a planning meeting with the Chairs of the upcoming LECOM Suncoast Golf Class (a Web.com tour event) here in Sarasota.  I will be the Chair for the Volunteer Headquarters.  I have done this before at the LPGA Coates Championship for a couple of years before moving to Sarasota. ... along with working at the Outback Steakhouse Pro-Am in Tampa for 8 years. 

However, the best part of the day, was learning that one of the guys that has been practicing at the range where I practice.. .just earned conditional status on the Latin American PGA Tour.   Unfortunately two others did not.  It will be interesting to talk with them in a week or so, as they continue working in preparation for going to Q School for the MacKenzie Tour (which is the pro tour in Canada).   

Day 105: Did some full swing mirror work. Working on softening my wrists and closing the face a bit in transition.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 11: 

yesterday was my second missed day. I spent 20 minutes or so today working on my backswing being on plane and hit some foam balls with the feel. 

Day 193

Played a few putting drills from 4', 6' and 8' in the practice green at the local course.  I seem to be getting  better sense of putting distance and for the first time since my new butter entered the bag, I feel as if I am beginning to own it.  IF I miss, it is now a bit long as opposed to short and most of my 2 putts seemed to be tap ins.  I was only able to work for 30 minutes or so before being off to an appointment, so I really do not have a lot of detail to add.  I read the breaks fairly well and in that regards was never wildly off.  Seem to be ready for a round on Monday!   Tomorrow working with my hybrids and driver.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 390 

Just another morning hitting balls on the range. More for exercise than working on my swing focuses. My swing is what it is, and what it will be from here on out. 

I had a target  about 120 yards away. Using different clubs, the ball would either fly over the target, land near the target, or fall short of the target. As long as the ball was traveling on a line near that target, that was all I was looking for. 

Hit balls both tee'd up, and off the turf.

The routine went like this; put a ball down,  pick a club, step into my stance, hit the ball, watch the ball flight, then pick another club. 

I don't normally play on weekends, but the weather is pretty much perfect to play in for this time of year. Going tp make an exception after this morning's meal. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 112, January 26, 28F

worked on head position and shoulder turn with slower swings. Filmed a few. Then did SS training, 98/102 with the greens. It is hard to get warm when it’s 28 degrees out. 

Finished with 1/4 wedge shots with the 50 GW.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 26, 26 January

Well it’s Saturday so I took advantage of the downtime. I had four sessions:

1. Carpet putting from 10ft working on a consistent stroke through the ball.

2. In my practise studio, using skytrak, I was focusing on swing plane with a wide stroke through the ball with my shoulders rotating, using 8i, 4 hybrid and driver.

I’m seeing progress.

Probably did almost 2 hours today.

Day 12:

More backswing work. Better takeaway and trying to “hit out to right field” in the downswing led to some better looking shots today. 

Day 194:

Well, the results of not doing any full swings for a few day manifested itself in a longer warm up than normal.  It took about 20 shots before I was able to recapture a good line of the downswing as well as a sense simply letting the club do its work.  I found myself getting frustrated with the early results and began tensing up followed by over swinging.

The nice thing today was that I was able to go for a short walk around, took a cool drink of water and start over.  Soon I was hitting fairly staring, long strikes with good loft.  So after I used the 5i, 6i, 7i and 7i/w and was happy with the results, I went home happy, though wondering what I can do to get both physically and mentally into it all with less lag time.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 347 - January 26, 2019 - Just got in the five minutes today with some full swing work. Hudl confirmed the bug… but people have been complaining of this bug for months now, so… I'm not hopeful. I'll just record more video in slow motion with the camera here soon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 425    Just 10 minutes of indoor practice using my shortened club to try an duplicate the feelings I had when I did the RoboGolfPro swing yesterday.  It is a very centered swing in that when I did it I stayed more over the ball and less sway.  I am sure it is a better swing and one that reinforces what I have been working on...

Day 106: Did full swing mirror work again today. Working on softening the wrists in transition along with closing the face a bit.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 391

Hit 15-60-80 yards (gps) shots this morning. Just a repeats of one of my regular, dozen, or so practice routines when the short game area is not crowded.. 

The 80 yard shot was to a flag next to a hill. The idea was land the ball on the hill, left of the flag, and have it bounce/roll down to the flag. Too far left, and the ball would be OB in an a drainage ditch

The 60 yard shot was where I needed to carry a bunker, and a 4' foot hill behind it. The flag is located about 15' feet past the far side bottom of the hill. The idea being to land the ball on the far side of hill, for the ball to bounce/roll to the flag. Too short of a carry, and the ball would wind up in the bunker. Too long of a carry might mean missing some greens.

The carry was important with these shots, since the landing areas, and flags were in semi roungh, which prevented much roll. 

Finished up with some short pitch shots to varius pins on a practice green. Idea was to have the ball finish in, or atleast near the targeted pin. I was looking for easy one putts. 

All three of these shots were accomplished using my normal pre-shot routine, and using retired game balls. 

Weather is great, which means I might just play for real, later on today. After the morning rush of weekend warriors clears out.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 27, 27 January

45 minutes in my garage studio using SkyTrak, again working on swing plane and rotation through the ball.

I warmed-up with a 8i then moved to the driver. Starting to see good progress with the big stick.

Day 195

For all my winter bound friends: I drove up to the range tan 10:30 AM, temp was low 70's, bright sun, no wind that would matter. Go ahead, use your voodoo dolls. I deserve it!

As well, as I was getting to the tee, a gentleman was leaving, telling me he had to rush to get to his tee time, handed me the rest of his supply (about 45 balls).  So before I even smacked my first whack of the day, it was wonderful!

I am not sure how much was due to my good mood, how much was the lack of wind to deal with, how much was retaining what I have been focusing on the last two+ weeks, but, with only a few exceptions, I got loft distance, roll (or non--roll), and expected direction for each of the clubs (putter today was sleeping in).

Big things were a more in-out swing path, making sure I use the built in loft of the club to do its own thing, making sure I employ my feet to help me use a smooth weight shift and hip action, good foot position, keeping head rather still and elbows not ready to do the chicken dance.

Before anyone suggest that is a hell of a lot to remember and check on, I have focused not only on each item, but worked lot in making them all work together.  I used my experience as a performer to think in terms of choreography.One does learn and often practices one step at a time.  And, one moves on to the pairing of one step with the next.  But to do well, one needs to put a whole longer set of actions together.

I am working on that in my golf.  I have also taken one other performance mind set with me.

In the performance, mistakes can and will happen. With that in mind, when a mistake is made you do not have a chance to re-do the missed step, or as an opera singer, a missed note.  

I don't use mulligans; and even hitting a 3 off a tee is a new shot, not a redo of the last.  So I no longer worry during the round.  I can readily put such things out of mind.  However, when I am done swinging the sticks, I go concentrate on my missed moments.  I decide first if the moment were a fluke, the result of being human.  If not, I write it down (yes, I use a note pad) to know what item(s) to focus on at my next golf "rehearsal".

Results today were wonderful as they showed me, and my coach, that I/we are on the right path (and, he was very interested in my Opera singer rehearsal/practice mind set). So, I danced off to my home, happier than I have been in quite some timeline terms golf.