IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 237

A very quick 9 holes: it was hot 83 at tee time, 97 by fourth hole

45 with 2 birdies (both Par 3 with one one shot to the flat green part) 5 bogies and 2 triple.  One was due to  a spectacular drive of about 235 yards but, alas, at least 5 yards OB and the other was a bit of a poor yardage drive, then a hybrid followed by 7i and a really awkward chip that left me with 3 putts.  It was the purest hole of the day and left me to practice my 7i and close chips.  The first putt was very long and I left myself with maybe 5' to hole. Rimmed out the next one and I was able to tap the 4" into the gopher hole. Left feeling afore mentioned gophers were laughing at me.

No excuses, given that I payed from one tee back from the Senior, I was ok with the results.  

Given a few missed putts and the one garbage hole I was happy. With one penalty and two well executed hybrids off the tee on the par 3s, I shot better than usual.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 234, June 3

Really good practice today. Worked on partial shots with 9-LW on real grass for a change. Focused contact and trying to lower launch a bit. It was really windy, so it was tough to gage distance and I didn’t have enough room for the MEVO. Contact was really good. Did 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 with the wedges and 3/4 with the 9 iron.

Then did a few 7 irons and 4 irons. Finished with one shot with each club.

Moved on to short game, first with chips to 4 different flags with PW, 50, 54 and 58. Then worked a bit on sand shots with the 58. Worked on the setup from my Evolvr lesson with the feel of the right hand skipping a stone through contact. Finished with pitches over the trap.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 561   Spent 15 minutes practicing, after warming up... and then played 18!!  I played pretty well in the conditions, "Cart Path Only" since the course was very, and it also was windy.  Shot 78  which is 6 over par, with a triple on one hole making up half of that!!!!$%#.   

Continued my trek of playing courses on Golfweek Magazine List of Top Courses You Can Play.  Yesterday and today I played one of the courses... and each was cart path only, my buddy has a fitbit, and told me that we walked almost 6 miles each day,  That is more than 9,000 yards.  Heck cart path only is killing me, and I will play another course tomorrow where it will be cart path only, winds 10-15 mph, and a high temperature of 57!!

Day 45: Did some full swing mirror work. Working on the same feels to keep my club outside my hands at A2 and a little bit of weight shift off the ball.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 1:

Back to starting this over. Played 18 holes today. Usual back nine breakdown. Hit the ball well off the tee, around the greens, and putted my butt off. But too many second shot penalties (occasional shanks on back nine).

Day 32.  Got my evolvr lesson about an hour and a half ago and just went into my golf practice room (indoors, off a mat, into a net, real balls) and hit for a while, focusing on the piece from the lesson.  Practice swings and real swings were S-L-O-W to emphasize a move that doesn't feel right... but that's the feeling I should be looking for in a change.  That and the sheer number that found the center of the clubface were nice too! :-)  Did five swings each side with a medicine ball too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

6/3/19:

Day 40:

Worked on some lower body drills before work today. I'm looking forward to getting out this weekend. I have to figure out a few things in my swing. Just hit the ball Shane.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 516 Worked on pitch shots this morning. Specifically on different trejectories. Sometimes I need a lower, or higher shot to help with the roll after the carry. Higher shots roll less than lower shots. 

These shots come in handy when I have uphill, level, or downhill terrain to my target. 

Focus this morning was on ball placement in my stance. Normal, center position for normal carry/roll shots. Forward of center for higher, less roll shots, and back of center, for lower, more roll shots.

Rest of my swing stays the same as long as other conditions of the shot are what I view as normal, short grass lies.   

Goal was to see a difference in flight trejectories, and/or in roll out after the carry. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 235, June 4

Played 9 today then played a Par 3 course twice after for 27 total. I wanted to work on the par 3 tee shots as I have been struggling with distance control.

I think I was teeing it up too much because if I just hit off turf, I got my normal distance. The second 9 on the par 3 distance control was much better. I put the tee almost all the way down.  I took the opportunity to hit from more than one tee box because the course was not full. I also did sand and other short game shots if I had to wait on the tee. 

Good work today. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 328

(n.b. I had mis-numbered a few of the days last week, this is the true count, mea culpa)

I felt good today, despite some early AM heat, 84 at start 91 at finish, start 8:15.  I decided to run through my irons and wedges.

All gave me acceptable loft, though 9i may have given me a tad too much.  I felt ok with distances though I enjoyed the fact that a broken tracer (not top tracer) said I was getting, for example, ball speeds around 160+ with distances of 290+ with my 50º wedge, woo hoo!

My 6i was the most inconstant weapon with say 5 really good whacks interspersed with 4 "eh" examples. Accuracy of direction was not the problem, and for the most part even basic distance.  I found my loft suffering primarily with a few swings where I came down too much on the ball.  Know that my video made that clear, I will address that tomorrow.

Wedges were solid and a bit less off-target than usual.  I stopped trying to muscle the shots by taking the grip pressure down and simply allowing a solid in-out swing with proper aiming in the stance. Again, I will work to solidify this tomorrow.

I have decided to bring the re-entry to my bag of an 8i to another halt.  This is the oldest club I own.  Its place as the weapon of my only ace is secure, but an older type blade has had me very uncomfortable, even though my videos seem ok, though not perfect, in the mechanics. It will retire now to a place on the wall and will be replaced with a  Ping G400 8i which will match the the Ping irons I use.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 562   Practiced this morning at the range for 30 minutes.... working on rotating and not swaying!

Then played 18 holes on a fantastic course.  Hilly, small-fast-undulating greens, ...but no rain, high of 60 and we could drive the carts on the golf course, -- for the first time on this trip.  The course was listed in Golfweek Magazine's List of Top Courses You Can Play.  I will do a trip report on Thursday if I have the chance.

Highlights of the day included 2 birdies, and an eagle!!  The eagle came on a 254 yard par 4 that was downwind.  I hit the green and made the putt from 10 feet.  First time I ever made an eagle this way.   With a slope rating of 130 from the White Tees, it was a tough course, with LOTS of elevation and side hill lies and water.

• Administrator

Day 487 - June 4, 2019 - Went to Whispering Woods to use the range for about 90 minutes today. No rush, good pacing. Did some three-step drills. Hit a few 3I. 3W. Hybrids. Drivers. 9I, 8I, 5I. Worked on the short game and some pitches/chips, as well as some distance wedges. Good 90 minutes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 46: Did some full swing mirror work again. Working on keeping the club outside or even with my hands at A2.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 33.  Went to the practice facilities today.  Hit some chips with my newly regripped 50 degree.  Feels so much better than the old grip.

Then went to the range.  Hit shots with my 7-iron (old grip) and 6-iron (new grip), also practicing my new priority piece from evolvr.  All my misses were the same way, regardless of which grip, so that's a good sign.  Also with this new shift, I'm really learning the value of the "swing slowly when practicing," probably my biggest fault in practice.  I also hit some drives and 3-hybrids.   A few bad shots in there, not a surprise given that I have a new priority piece I'm practicing. 

I closed with some putting;  for better or worse, the places this course puts the cups on their practice green require aiming outside the hole even at 6' at some angles.  I have trouble on the course convincing myself to do so, but between last visit and today, seeing many 6' putts go in when aimed outside the hole is going to be good for me long-term. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

6/4/19:

Day 41:

Hit 10 balls today. But those ten shots had a purpose. I have been working on this weight transfer thing for a while. I decided to try something a little different today. I tried to consciously swing a little bit harder. (Trying to get more distance, while keeping my balance) Let me say something. KBS Max shafts are straight shit. My spin numbers are way too high. On my CBX Blades, they're a bit lower, but I figured out the culprit to why I'm losing distance with my irons. Those 10 7-iron (with the loft of a 5 1/2 iron) shots proved one thing. My shafts are shit for my game. I need a lower spinning shaft, something like a Project X or C-Taper. (I like graphite shafts in irons for some reason though)… My shafts are shit for my game so I'm going to go get a set custom-built for me. Shit I may do it myself.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 329:

I decided I needed to focus physically on a pair of my swing activities that, after looking at my swing in slow motion video, were creeping in:

I was having a habit of bopping up during the swing. It was obviously there when I looked in slo-mo but not as clear to see at normal speed.  

As well, I was not keeping the left arm straight when need be in the swing.  Not off a lot and again not really all that obvious at regular speed.

I took a good pre-swing position. Ball located between feet per club need, good aim position, great foot spacing, club square.  I could not figure out what was causing the problem in about 20% of my shots.  Primarily topping the ball.

The bopping up was well removed through 2 points: weight a bit more forward and not to jerk    knees up at MOI. 

For the left arm is was thinking of how it looked through the positions as I did a lot of mirror work yesterday, after practice.

1: Loft ended up being what I should expect from each club.  So my 3h got a lot more loft and my 5h lowered the loft a bit. 

2: Ball speed and resulting distance was quite good,

3: Accuracy of line to target was where I saw the most happy results.

Day 236, June 5

Mirror work today. Focused on setup with a little more shaft lean at address. This seem to help yesterday on the par 3 tees with both aim and launch. Then did easy swings from this setup.

Scott

My Swing Thread