IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 54, opposite of yesterday:  early start, late finish at work today, but I got to practice putting for half an hour afterward on my way home.  I did around-the-world from 4', truly trying to make every putt and see.  Rather than go until I made all 12 (let's face it, I figured it wasn't going to happen before the course closed for the night, plus I have an early tee time tomorrow), I did five iterations and counted how many I made.  7, 7, 8, 8, 11 -- and on that last iteration, I made the first ten in a row.  Hitting the last few, I don't think I wanted putts to drop that much in some recent tournaments (that might have been the problem there).  

That 11 in particular was very confidence building, even though it could have been familiarity.  Next time I should switch holes between iterations so I'm not putting from familiarity or something.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 538. Just some putting practice this morning. My putting game seemed to be getting a little tired, and ragged. 

Had the practice green to myself. Used all 6 practice pins. Went 6 clockwise, 6 counter clockwise, and 6 randoms. Did this round robin thing twice. 

Focuses were on green reads, set up alignment, club face aim, back stroke length, and forward follow through.

Goal was 2 putts or less for each of the 36 practice pins. All first putts were in the 6-12 range. Went 30/32 for 36 pins. 

Had 4 three putts, all on the same hole. It was an uphill, two foot break, with the pin cut tight to the shoulder. Miss it, and the ball rolls back down hill. One of those risk/reward type situations. I chose 4 risky approaches.......lol. If I were actually playing for a score, I would have tried to have left myself, a much straighter, up hill putt. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 257, June 26

Worked on my PP with driver and 7 iron. Filmed it. This one is going to take a while.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 583  Spent 20 minutes on the range working on staying in my posture, during the downswing..   Then went out to play 9 holes on a new course.... thank goodness I had a yardage book,  shot 3 over for the front 9. 

Felt pretty good about my ball striking.... considering it was very windy.  Hole #1 was a great example, even though the tee shot was downhill, I still needed a 3 wood to the 391 yard green.  Amazingly, for me, I hit it to 8 feet and started with a birdie.  In comparison when hitting with the wind, I hit to 3 woods, to 10 yards short of the green on a very uphill 523 yard par 5.

Resting since I am playing 27 holes tomorrow, 9 at one course and 18 at the other!!

Day 17:

Really rainy day here. Played around with my new irons. Mainly just set up position and the takeaway as I didn’t have a lot of room indoors:) 

Day 55.  Played 18 today with some friends.  Shot an 83, my best round in a long time.  My putting felt great -- I stood over every putt inside 15' believing I could make it, and I made several.  Only two sixes.  A boatload of pars on par-4s and even one on a long par 3.  Played the par-5s in one over.  

Sadly, a terrible drive on #18 (122 yards almost straight up) dipped my driving average under 200 for the round, ending a streak of many rounds of at least 200 yard driver average. :-( 

2647225_Er5zaorX.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Edited by Shindig
formatting

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 358

Another "get out before it gets too hot" day.

As mentioned, worked a lot with the 56º wedge.  Loft and distance were almost spot on, but took a lot of work before I was happy with direction.  More accurately, how close to target I was with my line.  Eventually, I got good, but it took about 10 smacks before I felt as if I were I control.

I mentioned yesterday that I needed to go back with my 50º to simply solidify what was worked on yesterday.  I did and it went well, better line and better loft even when I employed a full swing.

Tomorrow, solidifying the 56º and adding the 60º.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 539. Worked a little on 20-100 yard shots this morning. This, to sort of get ready for a 9:30 tee time. 

Focuses were basically the same as always. Preshot routine, club face alignment, one piece take away, and weight shift forward to avoid fat shots. 

Goal was to land the ball as close as possible to my targeted flag pin. 

All shots were hit off the turf. I hit regular shots, flop shots, and punch shots. 

In My Bag:

Day 18: 

Spent some time hitting pitches and chips working on the proper technique. Really coming around nicely. Only got about 10 minutes or so in before the rain came. 

Day 258, June 27

Played 18 today in hot weather. Played ok, but got tired at the end.

Scott

My Swing Thread

DAY 584  Played nine holes at a lovely member owned golf course in a small community.  Shot 3 over par.....   because it was a little slow at times, I practicing my chipping on several holes.   Working on an idea from Adam Young about chipping that removes the focus on the ball.  It seemed to be helpful in getting me out of my chipping YIPS.   Then did some indoor practice working on posture and rotation through the ball instead of lunging.

Day 56.  Played 18 today in a tournament.  Took second net, shooting an 84 -- good for a lower differential (12.1) than my personal best handicap ever (12.2).  No sixes on the first ten holes.  Between yesterday and today, only a total of five sixes (and nothing worse than a six).

Made a birdie at #17, my second birdie of the month, both times a one foot putt on a par-5. :-) 

Played the par-5s in cumulative even, third time doing so this year.  Two previous times were pars for all.  I had an 11' putt on the last hole (a par-5, the one where Arnold Palmer once made a 12) where, had I made it, I'd have played the par-5s in a cumulative one under, something I've never done.

I missed far more than my share of short putts today and still shot well, but my putting has become a glaring weakness again.  Did some practice (see previous entries) and will continue to do so. 

2648126_p4uTgq96.png

(Debating going to a night-lit range right now to do some putting practice and some speed sticks, the latter I haven't done in a while).

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 259

Today was 60º day and specifically "master the Phil loft" day.

I do fairly well on this to begin with.  So 25 high risers to targets at 20 yards and 10 yards out..  

I still get a tinge too much roll and sometimes play a little bit too right, but thy day was god and dropped about 8 pitches 1 foot or less of the flags.

Swing was usually about 1/4 swing so not to punch it too much.  Maybe an almost 1/2 swing for the longer shots.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day  259, June 28

Played an early 9 hoping to beat the heat. Humidity was still there and sweat my b**ls off. Driver was erratic but recovered well. Had to put on the rain gloves mid-round. Finally parred the 9th too!

2648440_k0sisiID.png

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 540. Worked with my 4 wedges this morning, using 1/2 & 3/4 swings. Actually I worked more with my PW, and SW, since those are the two I use the most when plaing. 

My AW, and LW I use sparingly when playing. Still practice with them though. They have their place in my game. 

Focuses were on set up, club face aim, an abbreviated one piece take away,  ball first impact, and an easy follow through.. 

Goal was to get a smooth swing into the ball, with my hips turning with the swing. These are easy swings I use for approach shots. 

Spent about 45 minutes with these clubs, and retired game balls.

In My Bag:

Day 19: 

Hit a small bucket of balls at the range today with my new irons. Hit the ball pretty well for the most part. Got a bit flat in the middle of the set. My 4 iron may be one of my new favorite clubs...

DAY 585   Spent a couple of hours on the putting green.  Worked on putts from 6 feet and in...   but spent most of the time coaching a player with a 6.1 HCP Index on improving her short putting.  Distance control on long putts is good, however, when she is in the 5-9 foot range her percentage make is poor.... 45 rounds of stats show that it is hurting her up/down percentage.   She left with being a lot more confident, and better performance, as well as two drills to work on....  We agreed to follow up in a couple of days.

Most times when I teach I think I learn as much as the student... or at least remind myself of the concepts and keys to success.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer
  • Like 1

Day 57.  Spent an hour at the practice area.  I did an iteration of Speed Sticks, getting some good numbers, and then spent the rest putting (fourball finals on Sunday).  In that practice, I did three iterations of around-the-clock from 4', the version where I see how many I make.  I made 8 (out of 12), then 7, then 6... wisely choosing to stop because I didn't want to end up making negative putts.  Kidding, half.  Also have evening plans I have to make it to.  

-- Michael | My swing!