IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 78.  I was hoping to do something more exciting today, but stretching and medicine ball drill were all I had time for.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 377

Schedule ended up not allowing me to get to the range.

So I did a lot of work on my hip movement from backswing through to the swing.  I concentrated moving the left hip towards to target before any rotation from the right side. Reconfirmed the motion through both a mirror and a video.  I had been not doing the first motion from my hip to the target with just the slightest of rotations first over the last few times I played; and, that had me finishing too far from a fade into a hook.

Not sure where or when it slipped, but today felt good.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 281, July 21

Worked on my PP and added a bit more palmar flexion per my latest Evolvr lesson. Very hot and sweat a lot. Kept it to 30 minutes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 378

A somewhat cool AM, so out to the range for some full work.

10 each with my 3 wedges to start after the usual warm-ups. All were solid on distance and the 50º was exceptionally good on the direction, solid drop and stop with the 60º.

Worked the 6i and 7i quite a bit, about 20 each.  6i was giving me the most iffy shots for the first 6 or so. That was in part to my playing the ball ever so slightly forward that I was ever so slightly topping the smack.  After a mild cursing myself out, shots were good for distance, aim, and loft. No hooks or slices in the lot.

Perhaps because I played my 6i first, the 7i behaved well. Ball speed was consistent and the loft was not too high. I was averaging right where I should be for my distance.

10 shots next with my 3h (19º). Nice feel as they gave me all I was asking for. 155 yard average, nice loft without commemorating the lift off to the moon.  Ball speed was about 95.

Finished off with 6 from the driver.  A bit off as I had not used it in some time. Distance was not bad, averaging 200 but accuracy was a bit of a crap shoot.  Usually a soft fade or draw, but one really off and running slice told me it is time to spend a day with just this club.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 79.  I should have done more than the bare minimum 5-10 minutes the last several days.  I played today and... it was my first round since my first-ever sub-80 round last week.  And whoo boy did I get my comeuppance.  I didn't make a par until #13.  I hit three GIR all day.  It was awful.  At least I'm remotivated for my future practice.

(Today's event:  played 18... although that might be a generous description of what I did today).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 282, July 22

Spent 1 1/2 at the range followed by nine holes at a local muni. Focused on more palmar flexion from A4 to impact and not rolling the forearms over per my latest lesson. Ball flight for irons was high slight draw. Woods were similar except driver. Still a bit of a fade with the driver. Also did a lot of short game work and sand.

Shot a 42 in the round. Irons were good, as were wedges. Driver was a bit erratic and needs more work.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 379

30 minutes with my driver at the range to try to improve the accuracy.

Worked on my address process.  Made sure I took time to aim, set the feet well, make sure I set my grip well, keep the body from tensing up and not grounding the driver prior to the swing.

Results were fairly good. Ball speed was about 103-109, range was a consistent 190+, and more importantly, I was getting a very solid slight draws.  Nothing was wildly off.  I can readily live with today's results.  Will see tomorrow if I can make it good for two days in a row.

Day 80.  Slow, half swings with a gap wedge, indoors, off a mat, into a net.  Felt satisfying to feel good contact again after yesterday. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

Everyone gets a free pass here for posts made on July 23. Free day for all. Server (RAID) trouble(s).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 284, July 24

Mirror work at the gym focusing on palmar flextion and keeping the arms from rolling over through impact. This is my new PP to work on from Evolvr. I hope to hit balls later and film.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 380

Solid warm-up before the round.

I warmed up with 3 clubs: my driver, my 6i, and my 54º wedge.    

I did them in reverse order from listed above. All got me ready for the round.  The 54º was a good club to start with and I felt good about range and loft. Still a bit off in terms of direction, but not so off that I felt worried.

My 6i was the best of the 3 warm-ups.  Solid with nice carry.

Driver was at best good.  Good range, loft was a bit high at times and I tended to have a strong pull.

Round info: 5828  69.1/122

92 for the round, 1 par, no birdies, 14 bogies, 3 double bogies, 12 FIR but only 1 GIR, 3 OB penalties, 5 sand traps. Many drives finished to the right, including all OB. Came close to drowning 4 shots, but the result was a poor lie for the next shot rather than a wet one.

Perfection was not even in the same zip code, but I was quite happy with the round as it represents a -6 from the last time I was there.

Day 82 (81 was lost with the RAID, but I did practice and post!).  Ten minutes indoors, mix of real and foam balls, swings with the 9-iron, off a mat, into a net.  Felt good contact again, will be comfortable going outside tomorrow!

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 285, July 25

Played 18 today. Started as a single but joined up with a group in front of me after playing through a Dad and son and a really slow foursome. Played well. Shot an 81. Had a birdie.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 380

Solid warm-up before the round.

I warmed up with 3 clubs: my driver, my 6i, and my 54º wedge.    

I did them in reverse order from listed above. All got me ready for the round.  The 54º was a good club to start with and I felt good about range and loft. Still a bit off in terms of direction, but not so off that I felt worried.

My 6i was the best of the 3 warm-ups.  Solid with nice carry.

Driver was at best good.  Good range, loft was a bit high at times and I tended to have a strong pull.

Round info: 5828  69.1/122

92 for the round, 1 par, no birdies, 14 bogies, 3 double bogies, 12 FIR but only 1 GIR, 3 OB penalties, 5 sand traps. Many drives finished to the right, including all OB. Came close to drowning 4 shots, but the result was a poor lie for the next shot rather than a wet one.

Perfection was not even in the same zip code, but I was quite happy with the round as it represents a -6 from the last time I was there.

Day 83.  Hoped to get to the range this morning, didn't make it.  Did get ten minutes after work in at my indoor practice room:  slow swings, 9-iron, real balls, into a net, off a mat. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 84.  Managed to sneak in a dozen balls (indoors, off a mat, into a net, 9-iron flight) in my practice room before heading out to work today. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 286, July 26

Worked on my PP hitting into my net. Mostly slow swings working on the palmar flexion feel and not rolling the forearms. Filmed it.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 381

Just noticed I posted 30 twice, same content even. From a technical stand point, I have no idea how the heck I did that! So, I am not taking credit for the day.

Today was a 40 shot day with my Driver.  I am now primarily working to get a hook out of about 10% of my drives.  Practice was a measured program of going through the whole process.  Mainly made sure today that the path of the shot was more inside out and that club face at contact was square.

As the practice went on, the results gt better.  New round on Monday.  Feeling better about the big weapon.

Edited by DrMJG