IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

14/1/18 - Range session this morning in the freezing cold, working on the priority piece again. The swing is definitely changing and looks miles better at A4 than it ever has done. I just wanted to check up on a few points, so have uploaded to evolvr to get Preston's advice. Path is a bit more out-to-in than I'd like at the moment, so that's something to work on as well.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

@Lihu it only measures launch. The rest is math.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

@Lihu it only measures launch. The rest is math.

Thanks. Flight scope optimizer confirmed that. Might be the spin numbers are off due to the Amazon stickers. I’ll dig in a little more. Possible that it’s my swing too, made some changes that might be occluding the initial contact path.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Day 14 January 14   Another indoor day, working with the Impact Ball to build width in the backswing and keep my right/trail arm in front of my body!!   Getting a little better each day!!

1/14/17:

Worked on my path drill with water bottles before work this morning. Did my short swing to 1/4 swing to 1/2 swing to 3/4 swing progression with my 7-iron. Did this four or five times. Increasing my speed through each set until I got to full speed.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 14

I actually got to get outside today for a little full swing work. I made a few takeaways focusing on wrist hinge/set. A few slow complete backswings and transition focusing on hip/weight shift at start of transition.  

I hit a couple of balls; one from a held position at the top with a slow hip shift then unwinding, and one reduced speed but cotinuous swing. One had good height and one was a little low, but both had a draw ball flight.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Day 15...I think :hmm:

My pump drill was my drill of choice today. That, after warming up for a few minutes with my Kallassy club.

My pump drill helps with holding my wrist cock longer on my down swing. Or, if you wish, helps prevent an early release in the down swing. 

What I do is swing the club to the top, and start down. At about half way down, maybe a little less, I stop my swing, while still holding my wrist cock. At that point, I swing back to the top, start down again through the impact area, and into my follow through. I duplicate this sequence several times. If room is available, I will even hit balls with this drill. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 1/14/2018 at 8:06 AM, Lihu said:

More practice swing accelerating at or after A6 to see if I can get a whip in a methodical fashion rather than so "random". The trigger point is likely closer to A5 then my body reacts somewhere after A6. Using the swing speed radar and Mevo together with my golf net. Cleaned out my golf net area. Need to get some new balls for it.

More practice swing accelerating at or after A6 to see if I can get a whip in a methodical fashion rather than so "random". Getting more whip by slowing down the transition.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Day 15 January 15   What fantastic weather this afternoon.  I spent 2 hours on the range using 4 drills to improve turning into my right hip and staying over the ball (keeping the head more centered).   Then played 4 holes (the course was too busy to waste time waiting).  So I headed over to the putting green and made 100 putts from each of 3 and 4 feet.  Working on seeing the ball go into the hole and improving confidence on short putts.  Great day.  Can't wait until tomorrow as the weather will be nice again.

15/1/18 - Not much time today, but I managed 5 minutes putting on the mat, still working on tempo. Distance control is getting better, but I think it'll be more about getting used to it on the course, particularly with longer putts. Will try to make the range for a little bit tomorrow and maybe get a putt in there as well.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1/15/17:

Worked on my path drill with water bottles before work this morning. Did my short swing to 1/4 swing to 1/2 swing to 3/4 swing progression with my 6-iron. Did this four or five times. Increasing my speed through each set until I got to full speed. I am getting to the point where I may only catch the bottle once or twice per session. Usually I start from the set over from short swing and do it a couple times until I'm comfortable with moving to a longer swing... Golf is hard.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

21 hours ago, Lihu said:

More practice swing accelerating at or after A6 to see if I can get a whip in a methodical fashion rather than so "random". Getting more whip by slowing down the transition.

30 reps of this with extra “practice swing” in between.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Day 15

I did the practice late yesterday evening on day 15, but just posting today. I will do another post for today's practice. If this isn't "legal", let me know.

10 minutes of putting practice at 5-6 feet.  I understand this is only SV2, but for me I would say cost me at least 2 strokes per round last year, or maybe 1.5. I am good enough that my golf buddy usually offers to give me 3 footers, but I putt them anyway, especially this year as I am renewing into the GHIN system. Still, when I look back at scorecards, I would say I lost 1.5-2 strokes, if not on 3-6 footers, then on three putts in general. Since one of my 2018 goals is to move from 14.9 to below 11, this represents 25% of the goal. My overall goal for the short game is to get all shots around the green, whether approach putt or chip to within 3 feet, and to be 100% from 3 feet. I guess no one is 100%, but that is the goal.

I spent a few minutes reading LSW sections on SV4 practice, especially approach shots, and thinking about this information and relation to 5 keys. I know I need improvement in all 5, to say the least.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Day 16. Finally made it back to reasonable weather.

I was finally able to hit pitch shots again today. Off real turf that wasn't frozen. Such a deal.  Worked with my AW on 30-40 yard shots. Target was a plastic milk crate. 

Focus was hitting shots on a line to the crate. I focused on hitting some short, and others longer the my actual target'distance. Even mixed in a few chips. Again, not looking for distance, but staying on, or near my line. (accuracy)

Part of my practiced involved me keeping my eyes on a spot just barely in front of the ball, untill after impact, and the ball was gone. This helps me with crisp ball impact. I like hearing that ball/club "click" at impact. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1/16/18:

291 Days and counting.

Had my indoor lesson today. We touched on what I have been working on with the path drill. The scary thing is, we used some impact tape to detect where my strike pattern is. At my first lesson it was a sporadic. Now it's pretty centralized. Pre drill my 7-iron for instance was a weak 150 yard fade. Now it's carrying 165 yards with a beautiful 3 yard draw, no more outside-in swing, just inside-out. I did gain 2 mph in clubhead speed with the driver (strikes were better with that as well). The carry on that went from 245 to 260. (Namely quality of strike and drawing the ball).

We talked a bit at the end about going from a 45.5" driver to 44". He said he wished more people would go shorter with the driver. The loss of distance would be negligible and the contact would be better. He personally plays a 44.25" driver and he's 6'2" so he knows what I mean.

Sorry for the rambling. So he gave me a new drill to work on today. It's a variation of the bottle drill, but this time it's with all 4 bottles instead of two.  This is for my wedge issues. So next time, we're going to work more with fuller wedge shots and such. He thinks if I keep working on it, by summer the scratch players will be paying me a lot of money in skins games.

He thinks the 260 carry may become 270 or so, if I keep working on getting my speed up.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

16/1/18 - Managed a short range session today (20 minutes or so) before the freezing cold got the better of me. Did some work with feels and limiting the left knee flex and still struggling to make it work with direction. Will get back to the position work tomorrow and keep committing to the process.

DAY ONE!  I stopped at the practice area and worked on my lag putts for about 20 minutes. Trying to get them all the way to the hole, because I kept leaving them short yesterday.  My first 5 or so tries stayed short, then I blasted a bunch well past the hole, then I finally started getting many of them past but within a couple feet.  Then I played a little par 18 game with myself (9 medium to long putts), and shot a 14, with no 3-putts.

Does warming up before a round count as practice, if it's concentrated?

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

Day 16 January 16.  I am participating in a 10,000 putt challenge -- which is being done by the Bellevue University women's golf team.  The challenge is 200 made putts every day.  I follow the team, know some of its players, and coach.  Today the distances were 3 and 5 feet.  So I made 100 from each distance. This is my second day working on this challenge.

Then I spent a couple of hours on the range, working on turning into my right hip and keeping my head more centered and still.  And last but, not least, I played 9 holes of golf to see how the work is translating to the course. Now time for dinner.