IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

DAY 167 Stuck in the house all day as we were preparing for an having an Open House in an attempt to sell our home.  So I worked with my Impact Ball and short club working on backswing (particularly focused on proper movement of my right arm and shoulder).    Boring but necessary to get better or get beaten.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5/6/18:

Day 401: (*I goofed yesterday*)

Mostly still working on A6 to A7 with my lead arm only. It's a damn mess right now.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Time to start this up and focus on improving. I've got a no-handicapped match against a .8 handicapper at the end of the month, and I want to give him a run for his money.

Day 1: Spent about 10 minutes doing mirror work at home. Worked on closing my shoulders in my setup. Also worked on my hand path in the backswing, trying to keep my hands from moving away from my body in the takeaway.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 5:

5 minutes of mirror work. Downswing elbow position. Today felt better than it has felt in awhile albeit a very short practice session. 

Day 127

Stopped off at the course after my morning taxi school run for my Grand Daughters. I am at the course right now waiting on my breakfast. 

Started out with my pump/step through drill. It's a combo of two separate drills 

The pump drill is where I take the club to the top of my swing, start down, but stop half way while holding my wrist cock. Then back to the top, and then my complete down swing and follow through. This drill helps me retain my wrist cock, and helps to prevent casting the club. 

The step through drill is where I take my stance. I then move my lead foot back to my rear foot, then swing the club to the top. During my down swing, I move my lead foot back to it's original position, while stepping through with my rear foot. This drill helps with my forward weight shift, and getting a crisp contact on the ball. 

Both of these drills can be found on You Tube for a better understanding. 

After the drills I hit a few 50 yard shots to a practice pin. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 39 - Mirror work at the gym. Focused on priority piece. Will hit the range on the way home for a short amount of work too. Playing 18 tomorrow.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5/7/18:

Day 402:

So after working 28 hours in two days and improvising with whisks and spatulas and such, I hit a few chippy 6-irons, that probably went no more than about 75 yards, focus was impact and weight forward.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 6:

20+ minutes of putting practice. Made 25 (26 actually) 4 footers trying to see how many I could string together...and the answer was a measly 6. Every putt was at a different location around various pins in our short game area. Lastly, I did the "clock" drill on three different pins using 8 golf balls each from 3 feet. Made 7/8 from first pin, 8/8 from second, and 7/8 from last. 22 of 24 total. 91%. pros make 95% of their 3 footers so there is a little room for improvement there, but I think my 4-6 foot range is where the most separation is. I counted up  my 4 footer makes vs misses and it was about 70% made. That extra foot took away 21%!! the Pros only drop 10% or so to the 85/86% number. I need to practice more from 4-6 feet. 

Count me out for now @iacas

I hate not finishing something but I'm injured. I'll jump back on once I can do anything again. I reached for a baseball at the game I was coaching while warming up a kid the other day and felt a "pop" in my back right calf. It hurt but didn't think much of it. Finished up coaching the double header and then coached my tball team. Leg was sore but no biggie. When I got home and was changing my pants, I noticed my right leg was about 2x the size of my left. Got into the doc today and he's not 100% sure what happened but thinks I either tore a muscle or I have a partially ruptured Achilles. The good news is he didn't feel anything bunched up so it's not fully ruptured nor are any muscles detached. 

The bad news is I'm sidelined for a while. It's still swollen to heck and there's no way I can swing a club. I'll get back into this starting over at day 1 once I can. Dangit! 

DAY 168   Back at the range for another 2 1/2 hour session doing the Feet Together Drill... it is a great drill and in doing it I am continually reminded what I do well and what I need to improve on.  Lots still to improve on.   Then went out on the course to play 6 holes.   Hit lots of extra shots (full wedges, chips, 5 irons, ..... )    Then made my way to the putting green.  Hit 40 putts with the Pelz Putting Tutor  which provides me with excellent feedback on my starting the ball on line.  Then 40 putts around the clock from 6 feet.  Trying to make 32/40 or 80%.  Somedays I can, and today I only made 30.  Always work to do to get better.  :-)

• Administrator

Day 93 - May 7, 2018 - Practiced pitching with a college student after their round earlier today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 2: 5 minutes of mirror work, working on my setup and takeaway.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

9 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

Count me out for now @iacas

I hate not finishing something but I'm injured. I'll jump back on once I can do anything again. I reached for a baseball at the game I was coaching while warming up a kid the other day and felt a "pop" in my back right calf. It hurt but didn't think much of it. Finished up coaching the double header and then coached my tball team. Leg was sore but no biggie. When I got home and was changing my pants, I noticed my right leg was about 2x the size of my left. Got into the doc today and he's not 100% sure what happened but thinks I either tore a muscle or I have a partially ruptured Achilles. The good news is he didn't feel anything bunched up so it's not fully ruptured nor are any muscles detached. 

The bad news is I'm sidelined for a while. It's still swollen to heck and there's no way I can swing a club. I'll get back into this starting over at day 1 once I can. Dangit! 

Best thing about an injury is just focus on putting for 2 months. It can vastly improve your game.

5/8/18:

Day 403:

Practice my set-up for a bit today. It was actually about 10 minutes of in the mirror. It surprises me that I still set-up with open shoulders at times.

128/128 this year.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Day 7:

30 minutes on the range today. worked on hitting my 3 wood off the tee into my shot zone. I am really struggling with a push/slice on these shots for some reason just the last two weeks. A few feels/images helped but I really need to figure out what I am doing here. I have some video on my swing thread so any advice is appreciated!

Day 128

Played 9 holes today. First time back playing in several weeks. Felt good just being out on the course. Golfed with a new friend named George. 

I set my target number at 44. I would have been happy with anything under 50. As it turned out, I shot a 43. 

Had a couple of pars. Rest were bogey, and a little worse. Made some really nice putts, and one of pars was a chip in from about 10' off the green. 30' (?) overall. George was impressed. 

I am feeling some sensation in my shoulder, but not anything I might deem serious. 

All things considered, I am grading myself a solid (B). 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 169    Spent 75 minutes on the putting green.  First with the Pelz Putting Tutor - hitting 40 balls from various distances to the cup to provide feedback on the extent to which I start the ball on line.  I use it at various distances 25 to 3 feet, since I learned that I can be a little quick at 3 feet with my tempo while way smoother at 25.  So it is a constant and positive check.  Then hit 10 putts from each of four locations around the hole at 9 feet.  The goal is to make 60% or 24/40 or better.  Today I made 22.   Then to the range for an hour and then played 18 holes.  Shot 75... could have done better :-)

• Administrator

Day 94 - May 8, 2018 - Hit some pitch shots on the range with a golfer's Edel wedges (52°, 58°) and then hit a few shots lefty. On the course, hit a single driver (piped it) but my ankle injury from soccer last Friday acted up, so I stuck to smaller shots after that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets