IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

DAY 247  OOPS   I forgot to make the above post Bold and Red.... sorry!!

Excited about my new practice location....  :-)

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Day 173 - July 26, 2018 - Hit shots before the lessons began today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 8:

5+ minutes of mirror work. Focused on set up and took a few backswings/downswings with the right arm feeling more connected to the body. 

Day 20, 

played 9 holes. Short game and putting are coming around nicely. I need to work on more of a steadier head for full swings. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 2

Played 18 today at a course I've only played a few times. Greens were recovering from recent aerification. Otherwise in great shape.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/coachjimsc/round/2305127

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Day 54.  Why haven't I been posting the occasional home practice trying to get a feel at home with my net and mat?  Probably because I had bigger practices those days elsewhere.  I don't know.  Anyway, after working for a few days on a feeling slowly from evolvr lesson, I went to the range this afternoon.  Slow swings, trying to consciously move by head back a bit (as it was going forward in my swing when I thought I wasn't moving it).  So I'm back to key #1 work :-) 

30 balls, an hour or so, mostly slow swings.  About 24 were full swing practice, but then I hit six pitches because the tees were up so I had a 35 yard target and a 55 yard target.

Half an hour putting, no real drill, just drop balls within 10' and try to make them, then a few longer ones as I switched holes.  After being convinced earlier today that my putting isn't as bad as I thought it was (because I may have been looking at the wrong screen), I made what felt like more than my fair share.  I wish I had been keeping track!

Anyway, golf tomorrow + Saturday.  I need to do more two days in a row golf because club championship is coming up and that's (hopefully!) three days in a row.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 207. Right now I am in the 19th hole practicing on a plate of bisquits and gravy. Focus is on alignment, aim, a smooth wrist,  hand, and arm action, while maintaining the down hill lie, with the utensil, on my target line to the hole. (Mouth).  Larger muscles in my dominant right arm are getting a good work out. I am not sure what the (bite) par is, but feel I will finish well below that number. 

Earlier though, I practiced a little bit of everything. From full shots on the range to 5' foot putts. Even got in some uneven lies out of taller, unmowed grass shots. 

On the range I hit my clubs in a staggered fashion, one ball/club at a time. 3W/9I, 2I/8I, 3I/7I, and so on. Did this twice. Focus was simple; land the ball down range at my chosen landing area. Since I was alternating shots, this also meant using my address routine on every shot. (B+)

I moved from the range to the short game area. There I hit my wedges various distances, from various lies, to various targets. Focus again was on my set up, and landing the ball on/near my chosen target. I hit a few stinkers. (C)

Next up was chipping. Focus was on reads, and hitting my chosen landing areas. Idea was, that once on the green, having the ball roll close to, or into the cup. (B+)

Last was a stop at the putting green. On my walk there I saw the breakfast special sign. Focus there was on address, aim, and back stroke. Hit both long, and short putts. (A-)

It was cooler, and drier this morning (85* ) which allowed for a longer practice session. Took advantage, and made the best of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 18, 

played 18. Struggled off the tee. Irons for the most part were solid. Putting was a mixed bag. Short game was a C-. Got too much in my head with my short game. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 9:

10+ minutes of putting practice. Introduced myself to the 10 foot drill from every shot counts. Got to 10 points from two locations. Fun little drill. 

Day 22

Most of today was spent on focusing on keeping the head still on the back swing.  First at the mirror and then replicating it at the DR.  I will add this to my work routine until I feel it is rather predictable. 

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 248   Spent awhile on the putting green at The River Club.  Started by hitting putts off the Pelz Putting Tutor to check my skills in starting the ball on line.  Made 19/20 from the tightest configuration-- so felt good.  Then made 25 in a row from 3 feet.  Then attempted to hit 20 putts in a row into a 3 foot circle around the hole from 20, 30 and 45 feet.  Chose a downhill putt and was successful from 20 and 30 feet, just could not do it from 45 today.

Headed to the range using Feet together Drill, Finger down the shaft Drill, Wide Stance Drill and 4 0'clock Drill.  After about 100 balls then hit pitches to a target green where the pin was 31 yard away.

As the last part of my practice session... I played the front nine again.  This time I was only 2 over par.  Bad drive on Hole #1 and pulled approach shot on #6 resulted in bogies.  Yesterday I posted a picture of the par 3 8th hole.  Below is a picture of the par 3 2rd hole.  It played 175 yards into the win.  I hit a 5 wood on the green to 20 feet from the pin... but just missed the putt as it turned left away from the hole on its last turn.  You have to hit your target distance on this hole or bail out to the right, since the bunkers guard 2/3rds of the front of the green.  Love this challenge!!

RC#3.JPG

Day 55.  I am so freaking disgusted with myself.  Started par-par (GIR + 2 putts each), missed 3' bogey putt on hole 3 as the start of double-double-double.  Hole 3, missed green from 50 yards out on my birdie attempt, chipped to 3', missed. Hole 4, mediocre chip and then a terrible par attempt (went maybe halfway to hole), 3 putts for a double.  Hole 5, had 65 yards for GIR, missed, hit a terrible chip followed by a terrible putt, take a 6.  Then started playing well until hole 16 (nothing worse than bogey in that stretch, played holes 6-15 in a total of 3 over, a stretch that includes the #2 and #3 handicap holes), when I made a wonderful double bogey again.  Had an 8-iron to the par-3 17th, icing on the freaking cake with a triple on the last hole... nice drive, mediocre hybrid, missed green short, I don't know what the fourth shot was, mediocre chip, two putts.  

Oh, and the differential is .5 worse than my handicap.  Despite four doubles and a triple.  Six GIRs and 7 near GIRs too.  I think the blow up at 16 and 18 were, in part, hunger;  they happened after noon when I had had breakfast at 630 am and had only snacked after that.  I need to plan rounds that overlap a meal better, either by what I bring to eat, or eat before.

GameGolf link: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Shindig/round/2306384

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Day 174 - July 27, 2018 - http://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/2306695

Played the blue tees (@NatalieB mostly played the golds) today for a relaxing round. Played pretty well overall. Wasn't displeased. Could have easily been 3 lower, too, with a few shorter putts, but I made a good one on the 14th for par, so I can't complain. Still about 0.0 strokes gained against scratch for putting. If those are my "bad" days putting, so be it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 3

Right arm external rotation drill with impact ball. 3 sets of 5 holding position for 10 seconds. Used driver, 8 iron and lob wedge. Both left and right handed.

25 putts on plane board. 25 putts without.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Day 55, part 2.  Did SuperSpeed training this evening.  I'm not going to post numbers (here or in that thread) unless someone thinks I should, in which case I will.  Also went to the putting green to work on 4' putts, possibly as a form of penance.  At one point, I made 11 out of 12 from 4' around the clock.  Missed the 9th of the 12.  Still the closest I've come in a decade (in 2008 or so, I think I believed putting was the single thing that would take me from high teens to single digits.  Spoiler alert, it didn't, but I wonder if I was a better short putter then than I am now)

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 208

Hit pitch shots up to 60+/-  yards this morning. That's how far the pin was from where I was hitting the the balls. Some balls went past it, some dropped in front of it. It just depended on which club I was hitting those balls with.

Focus was on alignment, and a consistent swing tempo. I also had to be careful to not drop my rear shoulder at the start of my down swing. 

A good alignment sent the balls towards my target with minimal dispersion. 

A consistent swing tempo (speed) gave me decent yardage separation between the different clubs' lofts. 

Not lowering my right shoulder at the start of my down swing kept me from hitting fat shots, and helped with a good weight shift forward, and follow though. My follow through left me facing my target. I was hitting all these pitch shots with that (some what) no wrist hinge pitching swing. If I am not careful, when I stop my back swing, and immediately start my forward swing, I will drop my rear shoulder. 

Hit 70 of my own game balls that have been retired to my shag device. (B+)

Note for others who own a shag bag, that is old enough that the bag part is wearing out. Just remove the bag parts, reattach the handle, and you now have a 14 ball shag stick. Also to keep the balls in the pipe when not in use, drill a hole in the top of the pipe, just below the handle, and put a spring clip in it.

I wore out two shag bags, and decided not buy a new one. The idea of hitting 14 balls at a time seems to work better than hitting 50-65 balls which was what the bag held. My two metal shag sticks have lasted well over 20 years. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 23

Started with two points of focus: the hips and head steady & down.  The later focus is starting to feel a real groove, though both videos I took and general feel for this were good.  Hips primarily need concentration.  Did more than 10 minutes just focusing on movement during the swing.  As far as actually hitting went, it was a mixed bag, hybrids and 7i were solid, 8i  & 9i stayed in the bag today.  3w was on line but generally short, as was the big D.  Lift on the 3w and D was a bit underwhelming.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 249  Started on the putting green with my Pelz Tutor...again I made 19/20 through the tightest marble positions.  Then made 25 in a row from 3 feet.  Then did my distance drill.  Which is making 20 in a row from 20, 30 and 45 feet into a three foot circle around the hole.  Today I was able to accomplish it.

Then headed to the range using the Feet Together, and Finger Down the Shaft Drills.  Took about an hour.  

I have attached a picture of the visitors to the putting green.  Every day so far Sandhill Cranes have visited the green and the surrounding area.  They come around 8-10 in the morning... walk around, do some loud calling and then head off!!  

sandjujy28.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1