IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 137

Started off today with a new toy: The Orange Whip®.  Purchase suggested by my pro.

After 20 or so pre-range work, I could feel muscles I never knew were golf muscles!  I found my swing plane was consistent and it reinforced a lag; hands must move well before orange ball moves!  I am sure it will help ALL of my muscles improve.

The hit the little ball works showed something.  Few shots wildly off line (I only worked 5 clubs: 3h, 4h, 3w, Dr and 50º). Each felt so much more relaxed.  Got good distances as well, though the 3w was long but not very high off the turf.

I also did another exercise to work on true balance to keep my body I one position and not twisting about: took 5 shots with each club with feet together.  Amazingly I had no mishits when I did that, though distance was way off.  When I then took my normal stance, I topped no shots and got both good lunch and good distance.

I will go through the same routine for the remainder of the week and see how it goes.  So far The Orange Whip® really seems worth it.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Day 287 - November 27, 2018 - Bought a $20 putting thing from some guy whose last name is like Harry's, and was thoroughly disappointed at how little was included.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 47: Tried out two 3-woods at Golf Galaxy. Hit about 20 balls with them. Not really impressed with either one.  But I was hitting them well without a tee, which is something I can struggle with. So that's nice!

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 331

I like early morning golf game practices. They are just a great way to help start the day. I am a 5am early riser most days of the year, Doing something with a golf club is just part of my morning routine. 

Another plus is that alot of golf folks are still in bed, making the practice area less crowded.

Today, for about 30 minutes, I worked on uneven lies. Side hill, uphill, and down hill stuff. I can make good contact on all these lie conditions. I just do them to remind myself of the different ball flights, how to grip the club, and ball position in my stance. Some fly left. Some fly right. Some fly higher, and some fly lower. Four different situations, and four different ball flights. Knowing this information is an enormous help with club selection for the yardage needed. 

My trolley/bag did double duty as a target, which I moved around from place to place. The hill side I was using was too far away from any natural (pins) targets. Got to have a target to hit at, or it's not real practice. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 53, November 28

30 minutes mirror work at the gym. Focused on the same as yesterday but also added taking some easy swing to finish, A10. I have a tendency to finish short.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 369  Got out got for a couple of hours today to work exclusively on my putting... since a muscle in my back is aggravated, not allowing me full swings.   Worked on distance drills the entire time... and then 9 holes varying in length from 20-50 feet.  I was able to two putt each of them.  

Day 10:

First range session in a few weeks where I mostly hit balls at full speed. Felt good. Need to keep working on stuff slowly but I found the center of the clubface a lot more today, and remembered how much my hips need to slide to toward the target to get the club to the ball properly. It was fun. I may try and play 18 tomorrow. 

Day 138

Schedule changed at the last moment so my practice consisted of 20 minutes with an orange whip and putting on a mat.

Better than a day without focus on my golfing needs.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 48: Mirror work today while watching the UNC-Michigan game. Working on getting a feel for softening the wrists in transition. Think I'm making some progress.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

• Administrator

Day 288 - November 28, 2018 - Mirror work and laser work on the downstairs putting green.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 332

Some long club (D-4i) practice on the range this morning. I hit 4 metal woods, and 3 irons. 

A few focuses to deal with. One piece take away was the main one. This to keep me from taking the club back too far inside. I have found on these longer clubs (especially my driver) that if I take the club back inside too much,  it promotes a major league fade, aka a slice. My "opta" also helps me develope my wrist cock in a more natural way. 

Another focus was using my preshot routine for proper aim, and alignment. 

Since I was on the range, it was easy to set up a target (180+/-flag)  in the center of two more flags, which gave me a some what narrow faiway. The idea was to stay inside the two fairway flags, and as close to the target flag as possible. I used the target flag for my preshot routine aim point. 

Since the target flag was around 180 +/- yards down range, depending on which club I used, some balls would be short of the flag, while others would go past the flag. Some balls stayed on my target (relative) line, while others went left or right of the target flag. I wasn't picky. Some balls stayed in the fairway. Some just missed the fairway, and few would have left me with some tough next shots. A couple I may not have found. 

I hit balls from both off a tee, and off the turf. Bought a large basket of around 80 balls. Used 20 or so for warming up.

Cooler, windy, wet weather is supposed to move through the area. Glad I got out early. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 370   Warmer weather in the late morning so I went out for three hours..  Spent the first two hours on the range with the JetStick Drill, and LOTS of drills to work on my backswing (trying to keep a steady head and turn into my right hip).  I have been working on this for a while and can feel the progress.  Then headed over to the putting green to work for an hour on distance control... one drill was that I had to put 20 putts in a row inside a 3 foot circle around the hole from 20 feet, then 30 feet and then 45 feet.  I was REALLY pleased that I was able to do this on the first try!!!    Home for an early snack, then heading over to the Fitness Center to meet with my coach where I will be getting my first set of workouts to help me improve in areas that were deficient based on the TPI screening method.

Day 54, November 29

Spent 30 minutes at an outdoor range trying to warm! Worked through the bag focusing on shoulder turn feel. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 11:

bummed about today. Thought I was gonna get to play 18 and the weather just wouldn’t cooperate. It’s been the story for much of my year just too dang wet! Oh well. 5+ minutes of mirror work today on key #4. 

Day 139

Lots of 6' putts today from various positions. Was able to sink most of them.

Also, proceeded with 15 minutes of orange whip. 

• Administrator

Day 289 - November 29, 2018 - Beat a few of my students/kids in a putting contest. Handily. 🙂

Day 49: More mirror work today on softening the wrists in transition.

-- Daniel

DAY 371   Spent an hour on the range working through drills to help with my backswing and downswing (Key #1 and Key #2).  Then had my weekly lesson.  We could see the progress both on video, ball contact, and on BodiTrak.   So just keep working the same drills and one was added to further help with getting more pressure on my left side at impact.