IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 333

Pretty wet conditions, after a couple of rain storms passed through the area. Figured the practice area would be well saturated, and the range a "mats only" affair. So, this morning was a just few swing drills. 

Warmed up doing mini, slow swings, and gradually worked up too full swings.

The mini swings were half way back, toe up, to a half way forward toe up half swing. Both with extended arms. From there I moved to complete full swings with my normal swing tempo, while staying in balance.

After I was warmed up, I went with my version of the step through drill.  Another simple drill, where on the down swing, I basically just follow the club head with my rear root, like I was taking a step towards my target. This drill helps me with a forward weight shift, which also helps wit a ball first, ground second impact sequence.  A divot in front of the ball if you want to look at it that way. I'm not much of a divot (dirt/turf) taker, but I do give the grass a bit of a  crew cut in front of the ball. 

Next I did several reps of the pump drill. This helps me to maintain my wrist cock (lag?) on the down swing. Simple drill. From the top of my swing, I bring my arms, and hands half way down, while maintaining my wrist cock. Then swing back up to the top.  I do this twice, without  stopping my swing movement. On the third swing down, I complete a full swing sequence. My release would happen in front of the imaginary ball position. A few times I also combined this drill with step through drill.

These are pretty common drills, and can easily be "searched" for more info on them. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Day 290 - November 30, 2018 - Spent a little time with the mirrors in the basement trying to get the elbow piece down. Made good progress.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 55, November 30

Just some putting in the basement today.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 12:

Last entry for this year on this challenge. Played 18 today. Shot 114 (with esc) on a par 65 course. 50+ differential. I’m done playing for awhile and probably done practicing for a bit. Just too frustrated. I’ll likely look for an instructor during my time off if I can afford somebody. I think I need someone in person to talk me through my flaws and watch me try to fix them in live action. 

Day 140

Started off with 10 minutes or so Orange Whipping.

It was followed with about 40 minutes of work with the 3h and 50º.  The wedge was good though a bit of fade.  Goos carry up to about 110 yards, which from is not too awful.  3h was straight and between 110-120.  Not sure what the spin or angle was, though the ball tended to stop  after minimal roll. I topped a few by not standing away enough.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Day 12:

Last entry for this year on this challenge.

Huh? It's only November.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 50: Mirror work on the full swing again today. Checking that my path was still okay and working on the wrist softening in transition.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 334

Hit 56, full swing wedges (PW-LW) this morning. Target was a palm tree, that I couldn't reach with any of the clubs I used. Probably 8i distance away. One of those wide trunk types of palms. 

Focus was on using my pre-shot routine for my area aim point, stepping into my stance, posture, body alignment, club face aim, and ball position in my stance. Probably some other stuff I wasn't really thinking about.

From my address position, it was a one piece take away to the top, a smoothe transition into the down swing, with my hands leading the club head at impact. After impact, there was a wrist cock release, and a smoothe finish to my "other" top of my swing. There was also a forward hip movement, but I was not focusing much on that, since I getting crisp contact, and wasn't hitting any fatties. My hips always finshed more, or less square, facing that targeted palm tree. I was happy with most of the ball flights, and ball landings. 

Glad I was not playing this morning. Frost on the greens is slowing up this morning's starting groups. Already some pissed off folks.....lol Probably already wrecked their early morning rounds.

In My Bag:

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Huh? It's only November.

I meant I felt like I needed to shut down my practice routine for awhile and step away for a month or so (at least full swing) because I was getting too frustrated and was worried too much about my swing on the course. But apparently that was just the frustration making me lie to myself.....because...

Day 13: 

Despite the lies I told myself yesterday, I couldn't stay away from trying to figure out how to stop my swing flaws. I spent awhile outside doing the following: 

Mirror work with 6 Iron: Focused yet again on the "Rickie Fowler Feel" that @iacas gave me awhile back and just essentially practiced bringing the club back more on plane. I then completed some downswing drills with a ball between my elbow trying to get the feel of them staying close together in the downswing. I think this was good focused practice, but I need to keep doing it like daily or dang near daily. I do think its best if I don't play for a little while (hopefully not lying to myself on that one either) until I get to where my swing is engrained enough to to take the feels to the course. 

Edited by HJJ003

Day 56, December 1

Bad cold, so only some putting. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 141

When It comes to my hybrids, I am not sure even a Faustian bargain would have helped today.

I went in planning a 5 shot through the bag day.

Wedges were quite good. All gave either excellent distance and loft or excellent loft on planned lob shots. 5-9i were good, with few shots I groaned about. 3w and Driver not have could have made me happier.

Then the cursed and afore mentioned hybrids. I topped at least 1 out of the 5 for every club. I shot a worm burner on every club. When I got loft, I got a hook, not unplayable, but a hook. They were so bad they drove me home.

But, in the words of Scarlet O'Hara: Tomorrow is another day!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 372  Rise and Grind....   Spent 2 3/4 hours on the range this morning.  The temperature was great the wind!!  Well 14-18 mph!!  Invested the time working on Kay #1 and Key #2.... with the drills I was given by my coach.  Investing more of the practice time on Key #2 than Key #1 since I have that one a little more under control.   And more improvement in ball striking will come from focusing on Key #2.

Day 1.  After not practicing for a bit over a week, I played today ... shot an 83, good for a 12.4 or so differential.  Nine GIRs, but several three-putts from those greens (and two birdies).  Only three really bad full swings, saved bogey in two cases but my par-3 7th tee shot I ended up with a 7. :-(  One of only two holes worse than a 5.  Played the par-5s in a total of even (two pars, a birdie, a bogey after missing short by not paying attention to wind).

2455438_YYDa7X9S.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 51: Mirror on the full swing today. Working on that softening wrist feel in transition again.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Day 291 - December 1, 2018 - Back was feeling like garbage after getting kneed at soccer last night, so just a little putting work.

Day 335

Just some putting practice this morning. Once warmed up, I went with one ball, and played the 6 hole practice green for 36 holes. (A par 72 game with in the practice.) I  was +5. 

Putted from various areas on the green, to different holes. I was trying to get as many different looks as possible. 

Focus was on reads, alignment, aim, and back stroke length for the distance required. I also used my preshot routine on all the putts, but the tap ins. First putts were all in the 10-20 foot range. 

In My Bag:

DAY 373   Spent a couple of hours on the range working on Key #1 and Key #2   ... and hit a lot of wedges to targets to begin the process of determining how to improve my wedge distance control. Also established a baseline of swing speed with my driver.  Using 5 swings and a SSR I averaged 95 mph. I am beginning a month long speed improvement program titled Mach 3 Speed Training.  

The went to the putting green to work on a drill focused on typical putts... from 3 to 20 feet, with goals for each distance.  If you make the goal you can move back, if not you have to stay at that distance until you complete it.  The distances are 3, 6, 10, 15 and 20 feet.

Then played 9 holes for the first time in almost two months.  I have been on the range and not on the course.  Started with a BIRDIE on the par 5 first hole!!  Putted well, struck the ball pretty well and ended up shooting 1 over par for the front nine.  I hit 7/9 GIR...  just did not get up and down on this two that I missed.  Then home for dinner!! 

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Day 142:

MUCH better to day with the hybrids (mainly hit the 3h).  Better loft, but rarely hit much above 20' or so.  Distance was around 150-160 yards.  Good results wi the 56º wedges as well.  Driver was the big happy maker.  Ball speed between 140-155 on all shots, nice draw on most, only one draw that was a bit much.  Distances were all about 200-225.  For me, that is about 5-10 yards beyond last concentration on the driver.

Not 100% sure what adjustments I made today that I missed yesterday.  I did slow everything down, especially the back-swings.  And I worked very hard to keep my head down as well as not bobbing my body up on the downswing.

Edited by DrMJG