IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

#13.  Hit wedge shot at a 50 and a 60 yard pin.  Goal was to hit 3 in a row inside 10 ft before switching targets.  Did it twice at 50 and once at 60.  Lots of 2 in a row, and even holed out one from 60.  3 in a row is tough but its a drill I like.

Day 2: 

18 Holes of short game golf. Hit some decent wedge shots today (and some really bad ones :)). Finished -1 Bogey Golf so about average. 4 pars and 3 Doubles. I blame my cold putter...I almost made 3-4 more par putts. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 73, December 18

Mirror work at the gym. Same as yesterday for about 30 minutes. followed with a golf specific resistance workout.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Will this be continuing for 2019? Want to start this but with just a couple of weeks left in the year I want to make sure I can get in on this. Thank you in advance.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Day 157:

Finally forced myself to do some green side trap work.  My local range has good sized green with a somewhat deep trap inhabited with deep soft sand.  Before I did a lot to improve my overall wedge work, this often went unpracticed, as my inability to get enough loft from the silicon made this my nightmare shot.

I use my 56º as my sand wedge. Prior to the last two practices or so, I simply did not take enough sand as part of the shot, so I tended to simply hit the ball forward directly to a new spot in the sand or, when I did take some sand, I basically over hit the shot wildly over the green.  In short, I had not practiced the shot enough to have a good feel for it, at all.

So today was a "follow what you know" practice.  It took a while to feel fairly comfortable and almost confident that the odds were tipping towards my favor.  My shots were not always  pretty.  I caught the lip of the trap more than once and still played a few shots too fast on the green.  I would say I got about 80% of the trap shots to the point where my next shot was a putt.  I was getting a high enough loft to allow for a close stop after it went from the Sahara desert the to the oasis with enough spin to minimize too much roll. The 20%  hated were in the early stages of today's practice.

Point of note:  Of all of the rounds I have played the year, I had a total number of zero sand trap shots from green side bunkers and only 2 from fairway.  The fairway traps I dealt with were somewhat typical on many AZ courses; they were somewhat shallow and harder packed.  Used an iron both times and it was about the same as hitting a basic punch shot.

I will add this to my monthly rotation for 20 or so minutes to keep this in repertoire; but I sill have enough off the turf stuff to keep me occupied.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• iacas changed the title to "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge 2018-19
  • Administrator

Day 308 - December 18, 2018 - Hit a number of balls downtown while getting my golf bag, because it's supposed to be nice enough to play outside the next two days.

1 hour ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Will this be continuing for 2019? Want to start this but with just a couple of weeks left in the year I want to make sure I can get in on this. Thank you in advance.

Look at the title. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 388   Third day in a row of the 25 Day Challenge.  Began by spending an hour on the putting green - first with the Pelz Putting Tutor to insure I am starting the ball on line, then gate drills, prayer grip drills and lots of one handed putts.  

Had lunch, met with my coach, and then headed to the practice range for a lengthy four hour session.  Worked through the drill on pages 176-179 in the book, "Train for Golf Like an Olympian".   Spent extra reps with one drill called the Sumo Squat 3-wood, where you are really working on your pivot since you get very little from our legs. It also is great for stability. 

Feel great about how my swing is progressing... but my legs are tired and the muscles in my rib area ache!! Getting old LOL!!

Day 67: Still with the mirror work. Did a little bit of checking my set up and making sure I don't get lazy there. Then worked on my soft wrists feel in transition some more.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 352

After yesterday's 36 hole marathon, which started out to be 27 holes,  I decided to take it easy this morning.

Just some easy chipping, and  putting on my home course's practice greens. 

Focuses were on reads, and club face aim. Played to 20, or so practice pins. No real effort involved. 

One thing that came to my mind yesterday, was reenforcement of how important a preshot routine can be. I was a bit wore out after 27 holes, when the decision was made (by others) to play another 9 holes. I relied heavily on my preshot routine to hit decent shots on that last 9 holes. (164 total strokes for 36 holes)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 74, December 19

Mirror work at the gym hitting foam balls into a small net. Worked on pitch elbow feel from the A4 doing slow partial swings. I want to get my elbow to not lag behind may arms and torso as it turns. This helps my priority piece of lower hands at A4.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 389   I was at the range for 2 1/2 hours before the rain was too much and drove me in.  Continuing to work through the drills in the book, "Train for Golf Like and Olympian"  Today I started with the drills on page 171.  They were different than the ones I had been using starting on page 175/76.   This difference was good, but it was also frustrating, since initially I did not hit the ball as well.  :-(

I also continued to use the JetStick as a tool to help me improve my swing speed.

Today on the range were the usual mini-tour players -- Colton from Canada, John from Colorado and the two guys from the Czech Republic. All of them grinding to prep for the upcoming LA Q-school.   There were other young guys with the same intentions, that I have not met. 

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Day 1.  Sigh.  I had fully expected December to be much better than this.  This is usually when I have among the most free time, not the least.  Anyway, I got to play today -- 86 from the tips of a 6800 yard course (but only slope rating 120).  Putted amazingly well, short game was awful.  GG round: 

2463911_xn06sNGE.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 68: Mirror work on that softening wrists feel in transition again. Feel like I'm making really good progress.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Day 309 - December 19, 2018 - Mirror work with the focus on the trail elbow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 158

Started out with 10-15 minutes with my Orange Whip.  Primarily concentrating on the hips.  Lately I have been over turning quickly with the down swing, before first shifting weight.  Used well, this helps with the sense of first moving the weight before turning.  Felt good.  Then I wanted to put the feel to work.

Before hitting the round small objects, I did a few warm-ups with my 6i.  I started with a mild exercise to get the swing going by keeping my feet together and then simply hitting 1/2 swings to concentrate on swing path and base swings.  Did this for 6 balls, then took my normal 6i stance and then hitting 6 whacks fairly full.  Results were good as they were on line and good distance.  Now on to the the roll call.

Decided to practice primarily with my 5i-7i.  I had become uncomfortable with them and even saw more of a return of a return of a big slice lately.  I am not saying the Orange Whip and closed foot exercise solved the problem, but, I hit no slices today with these irons. Most had a nice soft draw, and most had great height and distance.  I did have one good sized left turn and a few slightly fuller draws.  I took care to make sure nothing I was doing was an over correction.  Everything got better as I went along.  I was shocked, however, that my 5i was the best of the lot. Both the 6i and 7i were good, but the 5i was the one with the least deviation from the line.

As I am playing a quick 9 on an executive course tomorrow, I needed to hit a few off the tee.  My 3w (GX-7) will be needed for two of the holes and my Driver will be used for two as well, time to take a few shots with both.  Great and fairly predictable distance, with the Driver being longer, of course.  What was of interest, however, was that the GX-7  tended to finish with a fade and the Driver (Ping G5) ended with a draw. Both the draw and the fade were a bit more than I would have liked.  Knowing the course and the holes I would use them on, I should not be in any trouble. Just an interesting observation at this time.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 353

Out early today. Have Grand Daughter shopping stuff to do. 

Did some mirror work this AM. 7 of the 10 hair strands on my head were out of place. (Just a joke. Not my intention to offend anyone. )

No, just some easy pitching over a bunker, and the burm behind it. Target was a practice pin behind the burm. Short pitches of about 20 yards, or so. 

Some (good) soreness set in after Tuesday's extended play. Just taking it easy with my practice. 

Focuses as always was on stepping into  my set up, body aim, and club face aim.  

I also used a few different clubs. I just manipolated the club face opened/closed, and shortened/lengthened my back swing accordingly. Just for reenforcement on blall flights, and what to expect from different situations.. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer: