IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 75: Just mirror work again today. Working on that softening wrist feel in transition.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DAY 396   Wonderful weather and the range was open.  So I spent 2 1/2 hours on the range working through drill from page 171 to 173 of the book, "Train for Golf Like an Olympian."  The focus was first on positions in the swing and then the swing motion.  I stopped a little earlier than I had hoped when the head of my 5 iron snapped off and flew into the range....after getting lots of people's attention I went out to pick it up.  The shaft snapped on my downswing.

So I pulled out my driver and hit about 20 shots.  My practice partner, who is a PGA Pro, noticed I had let the ball creep back in my stance and I was struggling with pushes, and hanging back.  So we moved it forward and I was smashing them straight and with a little draw.  Darn who would have thought this simple adjustment would make all the difference in the world!!

Also worked with my JetStick as part of my program to improve my swing speed.

Then headed to Golf Galaxy to have 10 clubs re-gripped, and a new shaft and grip for my 5 iron.  The bad news was that they did not think the shaft would be in for a couple of weeks, since the factory was closed at Christmas and New Years time.   AND the clubs could not be re-gripped until tomorrow.  However, I will spend tomorrow working on my swing with my 48 degree wedge, my 5 hybrid and my putter!!  Gotta made Lemons out of Lemonade.

• Administrator

Day 316 - December 26, 2018 - Hit about 30 balls downtown (which, if you know the rate at which I practice, took quite awhile). Then worked out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 7.  Got to the range this morning.  The nice one near my folks.  Putting green is closed, chipped on grass to grass for a few minutes, then shared a bucket with mom.  Hit various shots, and even got video which I need to import for evolvr.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 21.

I added half a degree of loft to my driver last night and wanted to test that out today.  So - went to the range and hit a small bucket of balls.  I only hit a dozen drives, and loved the results.   I warmed up like normal, with wedge, then 9, then 7 and 5 irons before hitting the driver.   The back of the range is 270, and I carried three of the first 4 balls out, 7 in all.  Little to no spray, probably less than 20 yards left to right from each other.  I hit a pretty straight ball and the added loft didn't change that. 

Between practicing more than ever in my life, losing 33 pounds and doing cardio 3-5 times a week, I feel like I've never struck the ball better than I am right now.  My HC isn't showing it yet, but I believe it will.  I'll be in Alabama for work for 7 weeks in Jan/Feb and plan to continue the practice routine and get out and play as much as possible on weekends.  Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.

Day 360

Range work on this cool, clear, windless morning. Windless being the key word.  It was actually a pleasent morning even though the vehicle thermometer was reading 35*F ambient on the way over. 

Actually used the range for it's worth. That being target golf. From my practice position, I lazered the different flags, picked the appropriate distance club, and aimed for the flag. I am still using my Ironwood Club bag. 

It mattered little if the ball was long, even, or short of the target. These were cold range balls I was hitting. What mattered was if the ball stayed reasonably on line to the target. Most did, while some didn't.

I also hit longer chips,  pitches, and flops to some of the closer target pins. I actually call those longer chips "skip and run" shots.  

I hit shots from off the turf, and tee'd up. Pretty sure the tee'd up shots went just a tad bit farther. Not by much though.

Focus was on my preshot routine's parts, and my one piece take away. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 397   Out by 10 a.m. with my three clubs.  Spent 2 1/2 plus hours on the range working through lots of drills to help with Impact .... in doing this I only hit my 3 hybrid and sand wedge.  Alternating between the two on every 2nd or 3rd shot.  Also used my Impact Snap and Orange Whip training aids, AND also my JetStick to work on improving my swing speed.  I left the session feeling really good about the progress I am making on my swing.

Then headed to the putting green for 90 minutes..... used the Pelz Putting Tutor a lot, trying to hit 5 in a row through the narrowest gate.  I did it initially then had difficulty... before finally doing it again.  To make the practice more variable, after every 5 balls I hit using the PPT, I hit 4-5 balls to a hole working on green reading, and distance control.   Now waiting until 6 p.m. so I can head to Golf Galaxy to pick up 10 of my clubs that were being re-gripped.

Day 82, December 27

Cold day at the range. Focused first on A4 position and transition with pitch right elbow and finishing turn through impact. Then I played an imaginary round with tee shots and approach shots. Finished with pitching and partial wedge shots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 165

Worked today, after orange ball warm-up, with 9i-6i, to attempt to work out a return of my slice.  I went through my "typical" pre-shot routine.  Aim, start grip setting, put club down to square up the attack, set feet comfortably, and, take a few practice swings. Then, when all seems right and ready, trust myself and swing.  It was a good day. ~ 90% of my shots ended up in my "very acceptable" range: good distance based on club used, nice clean loft.

In general, I would have like a tad more ball speed; I will work to add that next time.

Keeping the club square, strong grip but not clenched hands, head steady with good aiming at a target not far at all, something I need to focus upon a bit more. Not sure which of what I kept in mind preparing for and executing was the strongest thing to putting it together but, to quote from Sunday in the Park with George, it is done "bit by bit". 

Then, home to watch the Wisconsin Badgers at the Pinstripe Bowl.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 11:

Dang being sick sucks. Upper respiratory infection keeping me from doing much Golf related. 5 minutes of mirror work just working on set up position. Hope to be back to myself in the next day or two this has dragged on long enough. 

Day 76: Just mirror work again today. Working on that softening wrist feel in transition still.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Day 317 - December 27, 2018 - Hit about ten balls working on my piece(s) and then had a 15-minute putting match with @NatalieB.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 361

Long club (3W-5I) range work this extra layer,  cold,  morning. Small basket of balls. 

Same as yesterday. Target golf using the various range flags. From my hitting station, using the various flags means I have to start my preshot routine (today's focus)  over, after each shot, since the aim points are different each time. 

I hit everything off very low tees. On some swings I did give the turf a little trim in front of the ball. 

As long as the ball flight went towards my target reasonsbly well, I was happy with the shot. Distance to flag did not matter. The club provided what ever distance my swing delivered on these cold range balls. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 82, December 28

Shoulder turn work and stretching. Rainy day, so no range work.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 398   Started by getting my re-gripped clubs back from Golf Galaxy -- aah the feel of new grips!! :-)

Spent almost 5 hours on the range today...  I am exhausted.  Did the drills starting on page 170 from the book "Train for Golf Like an Olympian."   Each drill involves practice swings, area of focus and hitting 8 actual shots using the ideas in the drill.  For example, to help with rotation and being more stable, you take 3 practice swings then hit a ball with your feet together.

Also, checked my swing speed.  As I mentioned in post 373 I am starting a swing speed improvement program titled, "Mach 3"   I looked at my notes, and my average driver swing speed in December 2nd was 93.4 mph (I wrote in error it was 95).   I re-tested today and my average driver swing speed was 96.6 mph.   So I picked up a little over 3 miles per hour.   I will be continuing with this program through at least the end of June.   So we shall see how my average speed changes, when it plateaus, etc.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Day 166:

Perhaps my last range day of the year, so I did a quick once through the bag, less putter. Irons were somewhat surprisingly good. A few draws that were a bit more than I liked, most of which were the obvious results of a somewhat solid breeze to my left.  I found it easier to correct with my hybrids and shifting to more of a punch swing.  I would gladly, in a round, give up 5-10 yards for a shot that was more on target. Both the 3w and Driver were a mixed bag.  Got much better results when I stopped trying to murder the round white object.

I was aware that I had more palm than fingers in my grip with my 7i.  Could have creeped in with other irons, but this flaw on this iron was obvious as it happened a few times.  I had a few of the type of slices I really do not want to talk about too much.  When I mentally go through my checklist on gripping the club, the awful shot was corrected on the next shot.  I need to slowdown the pre-shot process and then not hesitate when I checked off all points.

It is this part of my game that has become a bit of a true flaw.  I don't wish to become one of those old geezer types people always complain are too slow.  I finish my rounds well under 3.5 hours on all of the full length courses I play.  Rarely get asked if they can play through. I did a timing of my pre-swing routine and if I breath and not rush myself;f, I am adding only 20 seconds to when I rush, roughly 6 minutes per round. As my PGA pro friend said when he played with me. "We pay the same as that trio behind us.  If they want to play through let them ask politely.  But you are allowing them to rush your shots with you wondering if you are too slow".

That will be what I carry through to 2019.  I have gone from a true hacker to sometimes quite good.  Yes, I know   would like practice more to start getting to the point where I can pick up 2-6 shots per round and perhaps my rushing myself has kept me from too many pars or even a birdie or two.

Ended today with some good, not great wedge work.  Only the 60º was off line. On the green well from 60-80 yards, but usually off line left. @iacas has me, through his writing, first hitting to the green and then thinking about the pin. Now, I want to narrow the gap. Even if only 5-10 feet less distance to cup.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 318 - December 28, 2018 - 15 minutes on the full swing and testing out the MirrorVision app. I kept looking back at the mirror behind me, forgetting that I had a nice view right by the golf ball. Then played two putting competitions, including 18-hole draw-back and a game of 21.