IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 9.  Did not get to the range as I thought I would, but I did do the "club across the chest" drill as per evolvr lesson.  Weather this weekend doesn't look promising.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 376

I have been playing the past few days, which has taken care of my long game practice, so today it was just some easy going, short game work.

Pitches, chips, and putts. The short game area on this course (except on the greens) requires the golfer to use range balls. With alot golfers aiming at the same pins, my normal "practice like I play" routine was not going to happen. 

My focuses were on flying the ball over hazards (pitches) onto the green, near the pin. Hit a few flop, and punch shots too.  Chips were rolling the ball on my targeted line, up near the pins. Putts were to be two or less. 

Other focuses were on acquiring my long, and intermediate targets, club face aim, green reads, addressing the ball, club selection based on the lie. Probably a few other things that I do in my preshot routine without really thinking about them.

Just a nice easy morning, out of doors, hitting golf balls. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 98, January 12, 26F outside

I practiced outside hitting into my net set up. Worked with 7 iron mostly repeating the same priority piece items. Filmed my swing with Mirror vision, but the videos came out sideways. Not sure why it won’t record in the camera orientation.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 412    Went to the range after spending the late morning at an art festival in downtown Sarasota, FL... and the range was FULL!!!   So I headed to the putting green where I spent 2 hours.  Began with the STAR Putting Drill which focuses me on putts from 3 up to 10 feet.  Where I set up 5 tees around the hole.  Starting at 3 feet  I have to make a putt from each of the five locations... if I miss then I start over.  After going around the STAR once, I have to do it again. So in total I have to make 10 consecutive putts.   I did this from 3, 4, and 5 feet.  

Then I did a distance putting drill.  Begin by setting tees around the cup at 3 feet.   Then from 15 feet from the hole, you hit 10 putts with the goal of all 10 ending up either in the hole or inside the 3 foot circle of tees.   Then continue the same thing from 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39 and 42 feet--you end up hitting 100 total putts.  To make it more challenging... I would move around so that I varied both the distance and the amount of slope for each of the locations.  For example, from 36 feet, I had a sharply breaking, VERY downhill putt.  To get the ball in the circle I had to hit the ball 90 degrees away from the hole, and with only enough energy for the ball to roll 4 feet.  The ball took the break and kept rolling and rolling until it came to rest within the 3 foot circle.  This helps make the drill more challenging and more like situations you face on the course.    I was able to get 97/100 putts in the circle when doing this drill.

• Like 1

Day 12:

Just spent about 30 min after work putting. Just working on start line and good end over end roll. 

Edited by Melly9
Typo

Day 180:

Returned to the range in a great mood.  A good night's sleep does wonders.

Today was a general focus on non-motion parts of my swing with a hodgepodge of clubs: 50º, 60º, 6i, 7i, 9i and driver.  And they were played in no progressive oder nor plan. I suspect it was what club would I play next on a course.

Stance, blade set, eliminating tension, and alignment were my focus.  I did a pre-shot routine making sure I was a good distance of my body to ball, proper alignment to my feet, focus and address to make sure my club angle was such that the club was allowed rather than prevented for doing its work.

Often I would set up for a shot then walk away, perhaps sit and return, when I was not comfortable.  As a result, I hit only about 60 shots all morning.

I discovered this also helped make sure, say with the 7i and 9i, that I was hitting the small round object before even a hint of a divot, or with my driver letting the 12º of the face be the factor for the loft more than say an extra height of the tee or having my body try to cause lift by an unnatural lean in the torso.

My width of line narrowed a bit as result of this work, I still got some fade or draw; but the results off line were better.  I was somewhat shocked by the distance on the drives for whatever reason. I saw a mild yet consistent improvement on ball speed.

In short, getting myself out of the way of an improving stroke showed solid results.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 92: Mirror work on the swing again today. Worked on combining my soft wrist feel with a slightly closed face at transition. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Day 333 - January 12, 2019 - Full swings after rebuilding/improving a few of the PVC ball pushers. I make some nice ones with pivoting heads. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 10.  As is so often the case after an evolvr lesson, I obsess over it.  Not a bad thing.  Club across the chest drill, as per the lesson.  Several times, indoors, over the course of the day.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1/12 

Day 3

Dad & Husband day so minimal time but did 2 things about 5 minutes each.

1. Bounce ball drill. I tend to open the club face on takeaway so I get a bouncy ball and when my hands get to parallel in takeaway I bounce the ball. If my hands roll and open the club face I can't bounce the ball.

2. Club across chest arms folded. Shoulder, waist rotation and weight transfer during the swing.

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

Day 377

This morning I went through my bag(s) reviewing my carry yardages for each club. No,  I didn't check the carry yardage on my putter. 

Some clubs I hit both tee'd up, and off my diy springy synthetic turf gizmo, which simulates a fairway turf lie quite well. All shots were full swings, using my retired game balls. 

This practice routine also involves me having a consistent swing speed (tempo/timing) with each club. With a consistent swing speed, the club does most of the work, distance wise, while I am able to maintain my balance in my swing.

I do this routine using what Ma Nature provides in the form of  soft sand for landing area. The balls land in the soft sand with very little, or no roll out. Some even plug into the sand.

To utilize my time better, I will alternate hitting two clubs. A long club, and a shorter one to separate the carry the two clubs, and my swing  provides. Then with a GPS, and a lazer I walk to the balls, and record the yardages from the middle of the area where the 5 balls from each swing landed. This gives me a rough average of both the longer, and shorter carries. The GPS, and the lazer are always with in a yard, or two of each other. 

Later today, I will go over the data, tweak it a little, and make myself a quick look index card I can use as needed when playing for a score

When playing for a score, obviously there will be less than good, fairway lies to be considered. Their will also be both uphill, and down hill fairway shots to contend with. When pulling my chosen club, I might use that index card as a refernce. 

As for the roll after the carry, I will factor that in based on the course, and weather conditions I am playing that particlar round in. 

When playing, I see way too many golfers who don't know how far they carry their shots. For the most part, many assume they hit the ball much farther than they really do. This assumption leaves them short on most, if not all of their shots. Over the course of 18 holes, this poor assumption on their part, will add needless strokes to their score. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 13, 13 January

Played 18 holes at my course.

Scottish winter: gusty winds, some rain and prett soft underfoot.

i struggles off the tee but improved as the round went on.

Day 99, January 13, 23F outside

I practiced outside hitting into my net set up again. The only part of me that got cold was my fingers, so I was out about 30 minutes. Worked with 7 iron mostly repeating the same priority piece items.  Did not film as I have to take a glove off the start recording.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 413      Back at the range!!!   Spent 3 plus hours working through the drills from pages 170-73 of "Train For Golf Like An Olympian"    There are drills on improving our swing motion, positions in the swing, etc.  When I do these drills I vary the club between a 5,6, and 7 iron. 

Every once in a while I do a test to the nearest green.  The nearest green today was 118 yards, into a breeze.  So I pulled 10 balls and hit 3/4 8 irons at the pin.   My 8 iron is my 125-130 club, .... so I cut back a little and tried to keep the flight down.  I was able to get 8/10 within 15 feet of the hole,  So I was VERY happy.   

About 20 minutes into the session when I was thoroughly warmed up, I did the Starter Protocol from Super Speed Golf.   I will be doing this for 4 more weeks and then move to the next level.... all with the goal of increasing swing speed.

• Administrator

Day 334 - January 13, 2019 - SuperSpeed and a little more work besides that. Not much time today, very busy with students. Also did my workout, but that doesn't count.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 93: Same thing as yesterday. Mirror work on the full swing. Working on combining the soft wrists feel in transition with a more closed club face. Think it's looking pretty good right now.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 181

Today could be called putt-putt golf day.

Went to work today with a number of rounds of making putts from 3'-8'.  Moved back when I stopped making the putts.  It was far from perfect but shot with good speed, made the vast majority of attempts, and. I putted with confidence.

It was clear that I still need to work on putting past the hole.  Far too many shots, whenI missed, ended up short, turning far too many into 2 putts.

I have not been working on the  green skills nearly as much as I need to.  Tomorrow working out of green side bunkers and putts from wherever those shots land.  Preparation for a round on Wednesday.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).