IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 238:

In my continuing quest to really play my hybrids to the best of my ability, I now have moved on to my 5h.  

I first did my warm up routine (see a few days earlier) and felt really ready to get at it! The very first shot was SO good I felt like saying "I got this covered" and calling the a day.  I forgave myself the moment of exuberant outburst and carried on. Most did well with only a very modest draw. Last time I played this club through a Top Tracker I was getting an average of 135.  Today would have made that the mean with a few yards less as average but with a huge number of much longer smacks.

I moved my aim point about and was fairly ok with making the changes.  When I first aimed quite a bit to my right, I did have my first, and only, push of the day.  In doing a quick "where the hell did that come from" I came to the conclusions that my left hand on the grip went from my normal "a little bit strong" to quite a bit too weak. Even thing seemed ok until I took a looked at the fact that I played the club face very un-square as well.  Next shot was about 90% of what I wanted, so correction made.

Unless I get called in, I plan on using the top tracker to give me a new reading of my hybrids on Friday.  I want to touch base with this one (5h) and add my Tours Edge 7 i/w, which I have been treating as a hybrid.  Saturday I will be putting all of these blasters to the test in a round where I will have NO long irons and no 6i in the bag.  

That will be as much getting me to have my brain decide which one when as anything else.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 145: Back to full swing mirror work today. Working on not rolling my wrists from A1 to A2. Also making sure my shoulders are closed at set up.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 151, March 7

Mirror work at the gym hitting foam balls. Same drills as yesterday but with a 3 wood.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 4: 

Speed practice on the practice green today. Did my usual "5 point" drill. Did it out to 40 feet uphill and downhill. I struggled with all 40 foot putts the most (go figure), and then 30 foot downhill putts after that (also not a surprise).

Day 428

Had the first tee time this morning. Played 18 holes with a an old friend who actually had the tee time. Shot an 82, to his 84.

I had 29 putts, which is not a big deal since I know these greens quite well. Plus, I didn't leave myself many long first putts due to some pretty good approach shots. 

Shot of the morning was his. He holed out from about 40 yards for the only birdy between the two of us. 

Focus was on just hitting the ball, and having a good time. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 474    I am still fighting the flu,, and it is still winning.  However, the day was beautiful, sunny and 75 so I decided I could at least get in some putting practice.   So I was out for about 90 minutes.  Started with a lot of practice putts using the Pelz Putting Tutor. I had let my grip get too much in my fingers so I wanted to make the adjustment and get in some practice.   Then hit 20 six foot putts setting up in a North-South- East - West configuration around the hole.  I hit 5 putts from each location... and ended up making 17/20 putts.  The goal for this drill is at least an 85% make rate, so I passed.  Then played a game of 21 from both 15 and 20 feet.   Enough for today.

Day 10 - Worked on backswing stuff using the patio window as a reference. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 239:

After my physical warm-ups, I went through my hybrids.

I started with my 7i/w.  Took a few swings to really get it going.  No wildly off of the expected shots left or right. Biggest problem was loft.  Most were fine, but a few barely got up to my shoulder height, so distance was not as good. By the end of this club's allotted shots, I was happy.

5h was not as fully operational either.  I even got one very wild right turn, but I am sure it was a combo of a bad set up.  Last three were very good and I have notated what went well so I can focus on that next time.

4h was solid from the get go. Distance fell within the expected range and most had a soft draw.

3h was solid though I was a bit short from my predictable range (5yds or so.) After I hit the allotted 15 shots for tis tool, I was ready to move on to take full account for the day.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 397 - March 7, 2019 - Spent a little time on the SkyTrak again, checking out the partial wedge mode. Felt pretty accurate, maybe a tiny bit longer than normal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 146: Full swing mirror work again today. Working on shoulders closed at set up, and not rolling the wrists from A1 to A2. Looking pretty good. Hoping to get to the range this weekend to film and hit some balls.

-- Daniel

Day "BOSS" 429

Just some range work with my longer clubs  this am. Followed that up with some approach shots over at the short game area. 

Focus was just on putting a good swing on the ball. No other swing thoughts. Just wanted to hit balls this morning. 

A little cool, and breezy. 

In My Bag:

Day 152, March 8

Mirror work at the gym with foam balls and driver. Worked on the same drills as the 6 iron. Filmed the some swings. 

Then I did SS training 103/101 with driver at 92. Follow with more golf specific resistance band work. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 475   I overdid it a little today, as I am still facing the lingering affects of the flu.  I was out a little more than 4 hours working on my game.  Spent about half of it working on my full swing.  On both my backswing and impact positions.   

Then headed over to the putting green, where I made 25 three foot putts in a row, with the tees set up in a star position around the hole, then 30 in a row inside this three foot circle from 20 and 30 feet.  Just did not have much success on doing the same from 45 feet.  I would make 3 then miss one, then make one...  or some ugly combination there of.   

During this time, I also spent about 15 minutes talking about putting with a guy who has conditional status on the PGA Latin America Tour.  Also he is prepping for Q-School for the McKenzie Tour which is in a couple of weeks (at least the site he is attending).  I hope Mark makes it on the McKenzie so he can do some choosing about locations and strategy to make it to the next level.  Now time for dinner.

• Administrator

Day 398 - March 8, 2019 - Ten minutes working on the transition move. It's an odd combination of things going in opposite directions. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 240:

Started with a run through of my wedges. 

50º got off to an inconsistent start.  Tended to play right much more than I expected.  Made sure I had a slightly stronger grip and was not over swinging to create a swing as opposed to making sure I set everything to let the club do most of the work.  I still undershot and got weird bounces after the landing, but the direction was much improved. My coach walked by and said much was do to the nature of often hit range balls.  Mental check showed my distance was about 5-10yds short and as to the bounce, I accept the beat up ball rationality.

The 56º did well from the get go in terms of distance and aim.  I took the club later to the sand area.  I hit nice lofts for the most part and the roll after landing was acceptable leaving me with 7--10' putts.  I did mis-hit and really plugged one into the lip of the trap.  Let's simply say recovery was UGLY! :w00t:

60º was nice high lobs, great direction but many were, simply short to the 55 yards to the cup by and average of 5 yards.

7i shots were OK at best and I had put far too many a bit high in terms of dealing with the right to left gusts of wing.  It was a bit odd that the only really interesting winds came while using this club.  Often pushed 10-20 feet off line and it was easy to see.

Ended the session with using my 4h.  Off the tee, I was getting many nice high shots of 160 yards with minimal roll after the landing.  Near wonderful placement for the courses I played.  Off the turf I was getting great distance but loft was a lot lower. 

Edited by DrMJG

Day 147: Just full swing mirror work again. Checking my shoulders at set up to make sure they're closed. Working on not rolling my wrists from A1 to A2. Range tomorrow, hopefully.

-- Daniel

Day 430

I saw something on FB the other day. The OP asked the question if the golfer would rather have a 15' straight uphill putt, or a 5' down hill putt, that had a 6" right to left break. I chose the the straight up hill putt. 

So, this morning I went the other course in the area, that had a practice green, where I could duplicate that scenario. The only difference being I had to settle for a 10' up hill putt. 

I hit 10 each, alternating between the two. I was right. The straight, up hill putt was the easier for me of the two.....lol

In My Bag:

Day 241:

After my usual warm-up physical, Orange Whip®, and PW, the decision was to work with only two clubs: 9i and 4h.

I had not been using the 9i a lot lately and needed to gain a bit more predicable mastery, as it now one of only two irons I am currently carrying (the other is my 7i).  As a result of some disuse, the first 5 or so strikes are best eternally blocked out of memory.  First aspect to return was loft.  Nice trajectory with a good solid landing. Second phase was distance.  With an average of 110 yards; and few wild outliers.   What took time to settle in was direction. Most were more than a bit to the left off my aim zone.  Over time I was able to make usable corrections.  

4h was a gem from the first swings, which were off the tee: nice loft, straight, and with solid distance.  So I move on to off the turf.  Biggest difference was the height of the trajectory; readily explained by the height of the tee.

Edited by DrMJG