IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 2.  After evening plans, did my drill, but with a medicine ball instead.  I also did the LSW medicine ball drill.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 449

Played 18 holes this morning. Carded an 82, with 28 putts. 

Just my normal playing routine. Smack the ball, go find it, and smack it again. 

Focuses were on set up, landing areas, and green reads. That's all the mental stuff I care to deal with when playing. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 495    Extremely windy (gusts over 20 mph) so I decided to spend time on and around the putting green.  Did my favorite set of putting drills.   Which are 25 putts in row from 3 feet, with tees set up at 5 points around the hole.  So you have to go around successfully 5 times to complete it.  So I did.   Then 20 in a row from 20 feet inside the three foot circle of tees that were set up for the short putt drill, then 20 in a row inside 3 feet from 30 feet.   And finally I tried 20 in a row inside the three foot circle from 45 feet.... NEVER did get it.

One thing I have learned about my ability to maintain focus is that there are 4 parts to this putting drills... the 3 footer, and then the 20, 30 and 45 footers.  If I start with the 3 footer, I do not have the present ability to maintain my focus when I get out to 45 feet.  If I start with the 20, 30 and 45 footers, then when I come to the 3 footer I am not able to complete it successfully. 

Then I did a lot of chipping around the green, with my 6 iron and then a wedge....

Day 172, March 28

Worked on a few things hitting into my net, centered hip turn, extending right arm through contact and hips to target at A4. A bit tired today for some reason.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 260:

It came together today with 3 different clubs: 7i, 3h and driver.

Of the 30 swipes I took today, only one became a true pull, no rash of hooks, mostly nice draws and even a few dead on straight. No slices or pushes either.

I did have a few that did not get either the loft or distance (especially true of the 3h). But it was always one or the other. The 3h hit a few that were acceptable on line and nice distance but they did not get much above shoulder height.  My moon shots came one each from the 7i and the Driver.

I laughed and shook my head and corrected it on the next wack. 

Tomorrow, I will see if I can take it out from the range with a round at a full course, which is not an impossible challenge, as the fairways tend to be wide enough to give me a good landing area.  And there are few green side traps and little water in vicious play.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 167: played in a 9 chipping and putting competition. Shot a 25, which I’m not too pleased with. To be fair, I was using borrowed, bad clubs. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Day 418 - March 28, 2019 - Did some drills to demonstrate things to students, but worked on my pieces while I was demonstrating them. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 3:

10-15 minutes outside this evening working on my takeaway and getting vertical on the backswing. Done right, I get off the heel easily. My misses are blocks. 

Day 173, March 29

Collected MEVO data on 7 - 4 iron, 3H and Driver. This time I used my Snell MTB Black and one ball only.

I playing tomorrow on real grass!!!!!!!!!

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 450

Worked on 50, 75, and 100 yard shots this morning. I have decided to spend some extra practice time to try and fine tune (for me) my club distances.

I worked on consistent swing speeds, using various clubs, and back swing lengths These were carry yardages I was working with. I was not trying to be exactly, on the money with these yardages, but feel that with a little more practice effort, I can get my carries a little more dialed in. Maybe save a stroke here, and there. 

As for the roll after the carry, I never worry about those rolling distances when practicing. My landing areas when practicing are not any where near the conditions I see when playing. The exceptions of course are chips to greens, and putts. However, even those conditions are not always the same as on the course. 

In My Bag:

DAY 496   Another day on the range at Legacy Golf Club..... spent more than 2 hours working on more sidebend in my backswing, initiating my downswing with my pelvis and improving my impact position.   As the saying goes another day of "rinse and repeat"   Hope to get my broken 7 iron back in the morning so I can play some golf this weekend.

• Administrator

Day 419 - March 29, 2019 - My dates and the counter was off yesterday, but now it's back on track.

Today I practiced for about 15 minutes with one rehearsal, lay it down (right wrist feel), pivot forward. Then a slow backswing with a near-regular-speed lay-down and downswing.

Hit a good number of solid balls.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 261;

After a 20 minute or so warm-up with driver and 4h, (which made me feel confident) I went for my round.  Had to change courses at the last minute due to some delays getting club group out, but that was ok.  Same place, different course (new to me). From the forward tees is was just about 6,200 6.9/118.

4 Par, 10 bogies, 2 doubles, 1 triple and one embarrassment of a 10... on a par 4 hole!!  2 into the water on the embarrassment! One other hole included my only OB: but a great wedge and a nice putt kept that one to just being a bogie!  

Final score 116, and, given many things, I am OK with that score.  But, I am already thinking of the next time I play the route!

Many of the holes, I could have played better from a club selection point of view.  Way too many were short and required that extra shot. (I do not have a range finder, and, I forgot my phone so no GPS!) 

The really bad hole might have been better with a bit more of laying up on both that drowned.  But, I was trying to make up from having too many hits being too safe. C'est la vie!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 451

Range work this morning, using my entire bag. 

Set up at the station nearest the property fence line. That fence was the right side of my fairway. Some might call it the "slice side"...

For the left side (hook side?) i used a couple of range flags. One was 100 yards, and the other was 175 yards. These flags were not my targets. They just defined the left side of my make shift fairway. The fairway I am guessing to be about 25-30  yards wide.  It seemed skinny. That fairway was my targeted landing area for every club I used. 

Today's routine went well, as I rotated one club at a time, short to long. Then, long, back to short

On all swings I  used my abbreviated preshot routine. On some swings I used a tee, on others just off the turf. 

Most balls landed in my fairway. Others missed by a little. On a few more, no one got hurt, and no property was damaged. 

I actually worked up a sweat today. 

In My Bag:

• Administrator

Day 420 - March 30, 2019 - Fifteen minutes today, not counting the three minute recording seen at:

Day 174, March 30

Play my first 9 of the year today. Mixed results. Had direction control issues with the driver, but irons were pretty good. Putting was really good. Playing again on Tuesday, so I will work on my misses the next two days.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 262:

9i, and hybrids were the focus after a good but not great warm-up using both the Orange Whip® and my 7i.  By not great, I mean that it took a few swacks to settle down to shots I would accept in a game.  Topped 4 of the first 5.  I then stopped, sat down, and got myself to think.  Next 5 were long, well lofted and where I aimed them.

It is amazing how much better you can play golf if you take time to think!

9i was ok, but I often got too little loft though acceptable distance.  Looked at my phone video to notice I was not drop my shoulder as I usually to so my swings became casting.  I will focus on this tomorrow when I take a day to work on the physical overmen through routines without hitting balls.

Hybrids were a wonderful surprise, one after the other, all were solid in line, loft and distance with the 4h being exceptional. It may have taken a full year of focus and practice but I am now confident to pick these up anytime. (Now that I said this, I expect an amazingly fat shot next time on the course! :~( :beer: .)

Edited by DrMJG

DAY 497   Long day.  Spent a couple of hours on the range working on my backswing (more sidebend) and initiating my downswing with my pelvis, and staying on plane through impact.

Then headed over to the putting green for another couple of hours.  Used the Pelz Putting Tutor to provide feedback and training on starting the ball on line.  Then made 25 in a row from 3 feet.  Then 20 in a row into a 3 foot circle around the hole from 20 and 30 feet.  Then helped a couple of guys improve thier green reading by teaching the basics of Aimpoint.

Then headed over to the River Club to play 18.   The back nine was slow, but I did get in 17 holes, and was 7 over at the time.   

These are a parent and child Sand Hill Crane who were hanging out on the 16th tee.

image.png