IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 169: Full swing mirror work today. Working ensuring I'm good in my takeaway and then that my head stays back in the downswing. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 452

Just some early morning range work. Same routine as yesterday, using my entire bag, and full swings. 

Focus was on sending balls to my chosen landing areas. Most balls flew pretty well for me. My misses were not too bad. Had a few real stinkers.  Most of my misses were with the longer clubs, while trying to swing faster than I normally do. 

what I was looking at was to see how my body movements, arms, and hands were working with regard to my club face control at ball impact. Balls that flew well told me my club face control was decent through impact. Most balls flew straight before tailing off a little left or right before touch down. 

After about 50 balls on the range, I cruised on over to the practice green, for some putting action. Focus there was on reads, and hitting straight putts, based on those reads..

Worked on putts in the 5' foot, to 25' foot ranges. 2 putts, or better, per pin,  were quite acceptable. 3 putts not so much. Had three of those. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 175, March 31

Went to the range to work on setup and start direction with driver, 7-9 iron and PW. Had a few pulls yesterday and a couple of hooks, so I wanted to correct that. Also worked on backswing path with in/out feel, deep hands in the backswing then transition to swing out. This is a feel I worked on with my instructor. 

Playing again Tuesday.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 263:

A much needed day of only concentrating on the basic body motions of my swing without a club or ball near me.  I focused on the lower body weight shifts, hip motion, and movement through the end of the swing.

All in all, about 30 minutes to focus on movement and motion. Some was mirror work, some was attention to minute actions, and some was a quick put it all together.

I even went through the motions with eyes closed.  This allowed me to really focus on keeping a sold balance.  If you doubt how this brought things into focus, try that yourself some time.

I was happy never to have been out of balance enough to have fallen over! :beer:

And the end, I took some swings with the Orange Whip® while concentrating on the full motion.

And, I still never fell over!:dance:

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 170: Continuing the full swing mirror work today. Checking my address position and A2 position. Then working on keeping the head back in the downswing. I really like how it's looking. Thinking I'll be able to get out to the range a couple of times this week to put it into practice.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

DAY 498    Spent an hour on the range working on my backswing (more sidebend at top of swing) and staying in posture through the downswing.  Then played 18 holes.... I was 1 over for the front nine, but tired on the back nine and was 6 over.   Oh well. Time for dinner and a good book and a  nap.  

Had my 7 iron reshafted after ths shaft broke at the hosel... now there is a rattle!! So I will start tomorrow back at Golf Galaxy to get it fixed.

• Administrator

Day 421 - March 31, 2019 - Had another long day downtown, so I was able to sneak in enough work to get to about ten minutes. The ball still feels like it's going to go so far right, and yet… it doesn't. 🙂 I KNOW why, it just doesn't feel like it should actually work. 😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 453

Out early this morning. Other things to do today. 

Worked on short, pitch shots. Actually they could be called longer chip shots I suppose. Bump and runs? Up to 25 yards off the green

This was a reminder routine practice for me. Anyone who knows my golf game, knows I chip using the Paul Runyon method. I set up to my chips, just like I set up for my putts. I grip down on the club, and stroke my chips just like my putts. There is little or no difference between the two set up, and strokes. 

What difference there is, is just between my putter, and what ever iron I using. Using an iron in this upright, set up (putting) position, raises the heel of the club, while lowering the toe of the club in relation to the ground. I chip the ball more off the toe of the club. The fact that the toe is below the heel has never been a problem with fat shots, since I grip down on the club. 

A few years ago, I tried, and succeeded in using this set up/stroke on shorter pitch shots. More carry, with less roll with some clubs. Less carry, with longer roll outs with other clubs. It took a while to learn, but once learned, it has been a consistent, short game stroke saver for me. 

I revisit this shot from time to time just to remind myself how far I can use it to hit pitch shots. 

For more info, Paul Runyon's chip/putt method can be found on You Tube. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

Day 176, April 1

Mirror work at the gym focusing on deep hand in the backswing to A4 then flattening in transition with pitch elbow to A6. Followed with SS Golf training, 105/108 with the green. I hope to do some drill work after work and film that.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 499   Spent well more than an hour around the chipping/pitching/bunker green.  Spent most of it hitting 15-25 yard pitch shots... working on technique and using my right arm more...   then spent 30 minutes chipping around the green using my 6 iron ala Paul Runyon (shout out to Patch!)      Then spent 30-45 minutes on the range hitting full shots with my 6 iron... doing drills and focusing on more sidebend at the top of my backswing and staying in posture through the swing.   Finally headed over to the putting green for QUITE a while.   Started with the Pelz Putting Tutor for feeback and training on starting the ball on line.  Then made 25 putts in a row from 3 feet, and then 20 in a row from 20, 30 and 45 feet inside the three foot circle.   Pretty rounded day, full swing, chipping, pitching and putting!!  

Tomorrow is Day 500 any suggestions?   

• Administrator

Day 422 - April 1, 2019 - Finishing up a web project so I only had time to putt a bit while watching a little TV during a break.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 264:

Chips and dips day.  Played shots from 6-10' off the green.  Can't complain, even though I only had 30 minutes to work and play.  The goal was never to finish the process, rather than play how I am going to play each of the shots to improve my lie on the green.  Most were not bad and left me a makable putt out, even though more than a handful would have nee 10' +.

I worked on really hitting my flop shots with and even greater flat face from my 60º.

Wish I would have had more time to finish with the putts.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 177, April 2

Playing my first 18 of the year today. It will be high 40s but sunny. Since we can't post the round, I will use it as a practice round. Focus will be on deep hands, extend through contact and hips to target in my pre-shot and my set up changes.

I am also using Game Golf for the first time, so it should be interesting.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 454

Worked on my full swing speed this morning. As I mentioned a few days ago, I am going to put more practice time in on my full swing tempo, and timing to see if I can gain some club head speed at impact, while still staying balanced through out my swing.

I am looking for a more usable, faster swing, with my longer clubs to help shorten my approach shots. This per yesteryear's players, and swing instructors. Yeah, I am old school.

I can swing faster, but the balance just isn't there to help control the club head into, and through ball impact.  With out club head control at impact, my ball flights suffer quite a bit. 

So basically I am just speeding things up a little from my feet, to my shoulders, and down my arms to my hands. Obviously I am also working on my lag and wrist release. 

While working on my full swing, club head speed, I will not neglect any of the aspects of my short game. My short game keeps my numbers low. 

Should be an interesting spring, summer, and fall practices. I am going to give myself 6 months to improve my swing speed. Longer if needed.

In My Bag:

Day 500  Made it to the big 500!!  Nothing special today.  Got out in the early afternoon due to rain in the morning hours.  Worked exclusively on Position 4 for 2 plus hours.   Which in the Gary Gilchrist terminology, is when you are half way down in your downswing... where the club is parallel to the ground.   Playing golf tomorrow with some friends from where I lived before I moved to Sarasota.  It will be fun reconnecting (I will keep this in mind as it is a 2 hour drive each way!! 

• Administrator

Day 423 - April 2, 2019 - Got out with @NatalieB and hit some shots with a 7-iron on the course. The shorter backswing shots are tough for awhile.

Day 265:

Did not make to to a long term practice.  I did some mirror work with  club and mainly looked to make sure everything flowed together.  Felt very good afterwords.

Day 455......reminds me of the big block GM motors.

Practiced chips & putts on a tiered green this morning. Straight up hill/down hill, and side hill. The side hill shots were were right to left/left to right, and up/down hill. 

Focuses were on reads for landing areas of the chips. Reads for the putts when the chips missed. Another focus was on leaving missed chips on the same level of the green the targeted pin was located. I really dislike having to roll the ball uphill twice on the same green. 

I used my preshot routine as far as set up, and using an intermediate target, when needed, for club face aim. 

I see these shots enough when playing to make them a part of my various practice routines. 

As I have stated before, my 14 or so, different practice routines involve actual shots I see when playing. By doing this, I have very few surprises when playing. Plus, practicing these actual shots make my practice sessions much less boring. 

In My Bag: