IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

DAY 516  Rise and Grind.... 2 hours plus on the range this morning... working on the same things....   Turning versus Swaying in my backswing, starting my downswing with pelvic rotation and staying in posture through the shot.   Did one of my favorite drills to work on my pivot (rotate versus sway).  It is the Sumo-squat 3-wood drill.  Tee up a ball, Take your stance with your 3 wood.  Then widen your stance considerably and bend more at the knees.  This way you are hitting the ball with your pivot and hands...and a quiet lower body.  If you sway back or through it will show up immediately in the quality of your strike.   Also if you have a tendency to more backwards or forward toward the ball in your swing.. again you will get immediate feedback.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 193, April 18

Mirror work at the gym. Really focused on pitch elbow feel from A4 to A6. I filmed yesterday afternoon and noticed it has slipped a bit. I hope to hit and film more later if the rain hold up.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 471

Worked on punch shots this morning. Weather is great, so an early start was an easy decision. 

Using various clubs, placing ball a little more back in my stance, and using a 1/2-3/4 swing, I paid close attention to the ball flights. I was looking for lower carries, and longer roll outs. (Roll outs were a bit "iffy" due to longer grasses)

Focuses were the same as always. Target acquisition, intermediate target for club face aim, setup/stance to the ball, posture, one piece take away, and a smooth, unhurried swing into the ball.

i really like punch shots. They are an easy, more ball controlling shot to pull off. A good shot to have when my full swing shots are not going well for me.  

Probably will play 18 holes later.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Time to restart this. Lost my last streak when I got a stomach bug and then had a concert and missed 3 days. Then I took 2 weeks off, just to give myself a break. But the season is officially here, so time to start back up!

Day 1: Spent about an hour practicing. 40 minutes hitting balls, focusing on my takeaway and keeping my head back in the downswing. Then went a worked on putting for 20 minutes. Worked on lag putts and then finished with working on some short putts.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 193, April 19

Worked on my PP hitting into my net. Really windy out. Then finished with chips and pitches. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 281 and 282

Day 281 ended up being a barely 5 minutes day.  I was still feeling the weakness from the hypoglycemic day on Wednesday, and, aside from 5 or so minutes of carpet putting, I spent the day more focused on getting consistently stable numbers.  As well, other matters simply made me fall asleep prior to posting yesterday, so a quasi break-in my run.

Day 282 as just the opposite.  Felt great and decided go to the range very early to beat the heat of the projected high 90s.

Did a basic once through the bag.  The wedges gave the most grief, mainly because my aim was off.  Only the 56º had lofts that were not really all that good.  Nothing terrible, but not great either. I also, for fun, practiced with the chipper I own.  Got nice loft with runs along the green.  

The core irons, 6i, 7i and 9i, all performed quite well with only a fat shot with the 6i being the exception. 9i was really the best I have ever hit with it in practice,

Hybrids were feeling good, though I got a bit more draw than I would have liked.  The 3h was the best of the bunch.  I took care to make sure the loft of the club was attended to in the address. Ended up with, for me, a solid  165 yard shot with good loft.  I have never felt that comfortable at times with that weapon.  But after 10 swacks, it seemed solid.  4h and 5h performed as expected with a solid 10 yard gap.

It was at this time that I decided to try out one of the drivers I am considering.  A Ping G400, 12º, Altus B55 senior shaft, SFT.  It was the first time I have ever tried this out.  First 2 shots were not all that great.  After a few thoughts, I was getting good hits in the sweet spot (yes, I had tape on the face), though more than a few were a bit higher on the face, twenty out of the 25 were nice.  Averaged 190 yards with a nice ball speed, according to tracker.  Not sure what my final thoughts are.  I like the Altus Red 65 shaft so much more, but it cannot be put on this club.   Will reacquaint myself with the G410plus at the end of next week and then about a week later, I will compare both with my swing on a top tracker.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 283

An "off the tee" morning, after the usual physical warm-up and the Orange Whip® smoothie.

Started out with the 7i off of the tee. 168 yard average with ice high loft.  Perfect for 3 par 3s that I know.  So off to a happy start.

The 3h off the small post was good, though I would have love a little more height.  170 with a bit of a draw that I wish I could have a little less of. 

The big two came next.  The GX-7 was not tooted, though I would have loved a more centered aim.  Nothing too wild, but 10 or so yards either side of center, with no seeming predictability indicates to me that I was simply neglecting this club. 18-190 off the tee was good, but would like a narrower landing area.

My Ping G5 manifested itself in many good and quite a few not so good ways.

Starting with loft, I got the high launch one might expect from a 12º driver.  And more than a few hits had a higher than desired take-off.  As a result, I did not always get the distance I was capable of getting from my driver.  Took time to choke up a bit to feel as if I had a touch more control.  I ended up with only so so results.

Nothing was super awful, and, I would have had a wonderful day, for the most part, on the course.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 472

Spent an hour or so hitting short shots off of uneven lies. Uphill/down hill, and ball above/below my feet on side hill lies. 

Focuses were on posture, weight distribution (heel/toe) areas on my feet, shoulders matching the slope, ball position in my stance, club selection, gripping the club up/down, target acquiring, club face aim, putting a good swing on the ball, and adjusting my aim point to how the ball will fly left/right to keep the ball heading towards my actual target. Due to practices, all this stuff is pretty automatic for me. Still alot of things to think about. 

i see alot of these uneven lies on a weekly basis. Some are not so noticeable, while others could be considered cliff dwellers. 

In My Bag:

Day 194, April 20

Pitching and chipping in the backyard in between rain showers. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Day 441 - April 20, 2019 - Putted with the Inside-Down-the-Line training aid while catching up on some work and television… after the kid fell asleep 15 minutes into the ANWA. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 517   Yes, I skipped yesterday!!   Today I started late, then spent two hours on the range working through drills from "Train For Golf LIke an Olympian" focusing on improving my turn, improving my sequencing in the downswing and staying in posture.  Then another couple of hours around the chipping green... chipping with my left hand, then right hand, then with both hands on the club.  What I am learning is that my pivot is THE ISSUE!!!   This is an exaggeration, however, I sway back and sway forward so my contact is inconsistent, and then I lunge at the ball with my arms.   As my pivot improved I was hitting the ball way more consistently.   We will see tomorrow, how this learning holds up.

Day 2: 

2560838_0hxIgzKR.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

and 

2560839_u48STrTw.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

-- Daniel

Day 473

This was to be my dry lake day. The day, and place where I check my carry yardages on all my clubs using a full swing. Had to shelve that idea.

Yesterday at our senior club golf get together, I won a raffle that was for a set (5I-GW) of Cobra, F9, single length clubs. These irons all the same (7I)  length. These are "R" flex, steel shafted clubs, which I assume are standard lie 

So, this morning I went to the range to give them a try out. 

Obviously, these not being my normal, fitted gamers, they were a little awkward, but were some what playable after a grip adjustment to get a better lie angle on them. 

I hit a small basket with them, using my full swing. 

i came a way a bit intrigued with them. Yardages between clubs were noticeable, and ball contact felt good with them. However, not being fitted, there is not much confidence in using them. They won't replace my gamers.

I didn't want to hit too many balls with these new clubs, for fear of messing up my swing when using my gamers.

I am chalking up today's practice session as just physical swing work out. 

In My Bag:

DAY 518      Short day today.  I spent at least 10 minutes working on my pivot using the door jamb.  My right foot against the door jamb, hands across my chest, and practicing turning/rotating in the backswing and then change to my left foot against the door jamb to focus on my follow-through.  

• Administrator

Day 442 - April 21, 2019 - Chipping/pitching practice (so that Natalie could hit some putts) downtown this evening. Watching the ANWA with the kiddo right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 3: Mirror work today. Working on ensuring my head is still staying back in transition and on the downswing.

-- Daniel

Day 284:

A few moments today in the early morning for some attempts at hitting my hybrids.  15 shots each with 3h, 4h, and 5h.  

First some warm-ups with my 7i, felt good, and then, off to the hybrids.

If I had tomblike with the results on a course, I would have been ok. Loft was good for all 3 and the 3h and 5h had good distance. Same could have been said about the 4h, except I tended to have a bit more of a pull.  All the shot ended up in my imagined fairway, though may felt as if I would have played from the rough.  I made a few aim adjustments and at least ended up where I wanted it to go.