IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

5/14/19:

Day Twenty:

Feels like winter. Continued working on my weight shift drills today too cold and flooded to go outside and practice. Maybe tomorrow with some luck I'll get out to practice.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 13.  Is it healthy to practice half swings this much?  I don't know why I enjoy it as much as I do.  I hit 42 today (so far), half swings, PW, in my golf room (indoors, real balls, off a mat, into a net). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 306

Finally had some time to use a top tracker set up at my usual range.  I have been wanting to really look at my irons (less wedges) as by bare eye is not all the perfect. I did two rounds and averaged them.  I also did them in order 9i, 8i, 7i, 6i.  10 smacks with each club

I was looking at 3 specific items: distance, loft, and % off of a line to the fairway. Here are the results!

9i: good loft and a consistent 110-115 yards.  Most finished with a slight draw, though a mis-hit one finished with a mirror image fade.

8i: solid 125-135 yard consistency. Usually on target with a slight fade.  Getting a solid loft from the club is still a matter to work on.  Many of the shots got to about 8' at highest point.  Truth be told, I had had serious fat shot problems with this club in the past.  No fat shots today; still looking for a better consistency on the loft part.

7i: While the whacks were between 135-145, this club was the most off line.  5 -10% left with most though I did have a push shot of about 10%, but only one of them.  Lofts were solid and usually the ball ended with a most acceptable rolls.  Need to go through the address set up, alignment, grip on this club to eliminate the pull.

6i: Really earned its keep! 145-170 in yardage. Good loft which I have learned to better get results here in terms of height of loft in relation to roll.

Tomorrow: Hybrids and 2 off the tee!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 466 - May 14, 2019 - 20 minutes with the full swing waiting for Dave to show up for some First Tee/LSW work this morning.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 541    I decided I needed to add some regular fitness training into my golf improvement efforts.  So I attended an hour long, "Flexibility for Athletes" session today at the fitness center at our country club.  I enjoyed it, felt it was worthwhile, and will make it a Tuesday event every week I am in town.   Then headed to the range, I was warmed up!!   Spent 90 minutes on the range working through drills to improve my pivot (stay in posture, etc. etc.)

Then headed out to play nine holes.  I was 2 over par... hit 7/9 GIR, but had 1 three putt!! I have rationalized the three putt, since the initial putt was almost 100 feet.  I was on the front of the green and the pin was in the back!!  I mis-read it and was pin high but 9 feet left of the pin.  The wind was strong again today.  On the par 5 Fifth hole which is 518 yards, I was less than 50 yards for my third shot, but on the par 4 Ninth Hole which is 397 yards, I was 50 yards short of the green... and I hit both the tee shot and the 3-wood as well as I did on the Fifth hole.

Day 25: Spent an hour at the range. Hit balls for about half an hour, working on my priority piece of feeling like I'm coming off the ball a bit when I start my swing. That piece looked good on video; contact was so-so, but that's okay. Then went and worked on my short game for half an hour. Worked with my 60 degree quite a bit, trying to get a bit more comfortable using it when I need to. Then worked on standard chips and pitches with 56 degree as well. Good session.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 497

Played 9 holes this morning. Carded a 38 for my effort. Pretty pleased with that number. 7 pars, and 4 one putts.

just no time for the second 9 today.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 215, May 15

Mirror work at the gym hitting foam balls. Focused on more hip and shoulder rotation at A6 through impact with slow swings and mapping. Did 6 iron and driver. Will do short game work later on the way home.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5/15/19:

Day Twenty-one:

Got outside today hit some balls while focusing on my weight shift. Some of my swings were only waist high to waist high, but the focus remains getting the weight over to the right side.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

DAY 542   Spent an hour on the range working on my downswing sequence (including my pivot). It is getting better.

Then I went to a re-do of my driver fitting.  Last week, we found that my present driver - Callaway EPIC outperformed any other combination of head and shaft from Callaway, Mizuno or Ping.   Except, an EvenFlo shaft seemed to provide me with 7 yards more in distance using the head of my present Callaway EPIC.  So we did a re-trial today to see if the EvenFlo put in my present Callaway driver performed better than its existing shaft.  It did not!!!  We tried a couple more combinations of shafts and my present Epic head and even the EPIC flash.   Nothing beat my present Callaway EPIC.   The ONLY time the Flash performed better was when I mis-hit my driver, as it is more forgiving.... but not $529 worth.   

Then headed to the putting green for 90 minutes working on two drills.  The first is setting 5 tees around the hole at 3 feet.  I have to go around the circle twice to complete it successfully.  I did that from 3, 4, and 5 feet.  Then re-set the tees at 3 feet around the hole, and stepped off 20 feet.  I have to put 20 putts in a row inside the three foot circle to complete it successfully.  I did, then was also successful at 30 feet.  In both cases I did it on one try.  However, from 45 feet, I was not able to complete the drill...the most I got was 10 in a row.   DRATS!!  

Day 307

As advertised, it was hybrid day! (But got too hot to continue with driver and GX-7),  I hit off of a mat rated as second cut and that is primarily when I go to my hybrids. 15 whacks each

3h:  Good loft over all with average ball speed of 105 and average distance of 135-140. Loft did not have one standard height.  As with all hybrids, it tended to be a bit more draw then I usually.  I worked ambit to 
aim it out of the results.  But, as these are clubs I tend to hope to land on a fairway or get back to the fairway, being off 5%-10% makes minimal interruptions for my game.

4h: Best of the group today. 95-110 ball speeds 125-140 in terms of distance with great loft and a draw under control. The 15 strokes all landed well in the fairway and made me feel really good.

5h:  This was the most inconsistent of the hybrids.  No really pushed or pulled shots but loft and distances were all over the place. I ended up taking 25 shots with this weapon over two sessions. After the first group, I took focus on ball placement in relation to my feet and noticed I was playing the ball position way too far forward.  Adjustment corrected the flaw so I now I was hitting 85-95 ball speed capped with 90 - 120 distance.  This left no  overlap between 4h and 5h.  I will take time to get this club more predictable.

71/w:  I play this club with a "hybrid" mindset. Experience has allowed me to feel comfortable even in slightly deeper rough.  I had excellent loft on every shot, distances were 95 -125, and I was able to get excellent roll after the shot.  Ball speed averaged 85-100.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 26: Worked on my putting for a little bit. Mostly working on my stroke, along with a little bead work. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 14.  After work, pre-social plans, found half an hour to work on putting at my home course's practice green.  I should have done the ESC drill for this, but didn't (didn't occur to me until after), but I worked on 10-15' putts, partly also on making sure I get them to or past the hole (but not too far past). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 216, May 16

Playing 18 today, 9 as a pre-league round and then the league round. Nice day out for a change.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 498

Same as yesterday. Played 9 holes for 40. 

Maybe more later. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 543    Spent 90 minutes on the range continuing to work on my pivot and staying in posture throughout the swing.   Then to the chipping area for 45 minutes to work on improving contact with the ball.   Felt like I have been making progress on the former and not much on the latter.

Then headed over to River Club to spend time with my coach.   Hit several 6 irons well, and then was told to continue to work on my pivot, since that is the clue for my continued ball striking improvement.  And that I was making excellent progress.  And my swing was getting very solid.  Then hit pitch shots from 15-25 yards.  I need to work on more rotation through the ball.  We did a couple of drills, then I hit 30 shots as a test, to see if I am improving... and glad to say that all 30 landed on the green and within 15 feet of the hole.  I got feedback and coaching on each swing, and made lots of solid contact and proper motion.   So the coach was pleased and I was pleased.

Now back to the practice facility in the morning to do MORE reps, so I can continue to improve.  

Day 308:

And now, the wedges.  I was able to manipulate all of them to do basically what I hoped they could do:

50º: I tend to work this as both a pitching wedge and shots where I need a loft for a punch out.  As a PW, I readily get 110 yards with a good loft .  Aim is still a bit of a problem as I tend to have that play right problem for all my wedges.  Working on a correction with my aim.  The main goal of this club is to get the ball on the green so the next shot is with my putter. If it gets very close to the hole, it is a blessing.

56º: Primarily used as my Sand Wedge.  Works especially well in that role for fairway traps.  Today, I just hit off mats to register ball speed and distance. When I hit it well I get a solid pop, and excellent loft which ends in a good roll.  Ball speed today was about 85-90, 90 yards with a 5 yard roll. Again, I think get it on the green, or if a trap I have the thought to get it back on a fairway.

60º: This is my get it close to the gopher hole club.  I was hitting at such a variety of ball speeds and club angles that I need to talk more about type of shot.  I am able to play a high loft from 60 - 70 yards out and have not more than a 5-8 foot roll. (Today I did overpower a shot that Rolled Merrily Along for about 8 yards!).  I then change to a half swing and am able to drop one well up to 40 yards with a very minimal roll.  Finally today I hit a number of "Phil Lofts" that are not only high but stop nearly with no loll, 3' tops.  For that I really angle the club to nearly flat and think more that I am serving the ball off a platter (ok, my mental image).  After my 5th "Phil" I was happy when the man next to me asked "how the hell do you do that".  I did take time to show him.

Chipper: For sake of using all weapons I own, I did take time on a putting green for this one.  I use it only as a just off the lip of the green club when I am playing a par three or one executive course I know.  I was able to control the speed after the tap with some skill today.

BTW, the play to the right that I tend to have with my wedges is not so great that I cringe.  Just something to work on.

Edited by DrMJG