4,976 posts / 237936 viewsLast Reply

Day 547. Got in some putting practice this morning. Went to the practice greens that I am not real familiar with.

Focuses were on reads, set up, and rolling the ball over an intermediate spot on my chosen line.

Goal was to make putts.

There was one practice pin which involved a double breaking putt. Spent some extra time on that pin. 

On multiple breaking putts, I just read the the putt backwards from the cup to find my second break spot. That spot is where I want my ball rolling over on my initial putt.

This particular practice green was larger, with 8 practice pins. Did 8 cw, 8 ccw, and 8 randomly chosen putts. Did this twice around,  for a par of 48. Had 40 putts, and no 3 putts. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

DAY 592    Some of you may be wondering when I am going to miss a few days and start all over again from Zero.   Well that will be when I reach Day 600.    So there are only 8 more days of my posting in this thread.

Today was another short day... hot and lots to do.  So I spent time with my shortened 7 iron and my Impact Ball working on connectedness of swing.  I also find when I use the Impact ball it helps with me my flexibility.   Tomorrow back out on the range and course.

Day 64.  I spent over an hour hitting half shots with my 50-degree wedge and my U-iron.  Real balls, off a mat, into a net, indoors.  I figure -- someone tell me if I'm off-base on this -- that if I get better at these shots mechanically, I'll be better able to use them on the course.  As it stands now, I'm hitting some just poorly, and have a larger variance in them than I expected -- although I'm not sure what a reasonable expectation from, say, 50 yards (about half swing with a 50-degree for me) is.

I plan to go to the course near me in a few minutes to do some evening putting (not to be confused with night putting).  I know I can't pre-say what I'm doing, but I'm including this for record purposes, having already hit the 5 minutes for the challenge for the day. 

DAY 366

Decided to start year 2 by renewing my basics.  Lots of mirror work checking positions from address to impact and follow through. Looked fairly good, especially from a stand point of not allowing the right elbow to become a wing for take off.  Club face remained in good position throughout the swing.

Day 548. Spent some time on the range this morning. Used my regular gamer bag of clubs. (D-7W, 5-LW)

Went through a basket of balls, using various swings, and shots. 

Normals focuses, and goals. Just trying to drop balls on or near my target line. 

DAY 593    Went to the range to prep for a scramble I am playing in next Thursday.   I worked on sharpening wedge game, hitting to targets in the 125-135 yard distance (since it seems all four of the par 3s are in this range) and working on my driving.  While working on my swing some, most of the work was on aiming and alignment... so when I do hit the ball the way I want.. it goes where I think I am aiming :-)

Then spent over an hour on the putting green working on two drills...   Making 25 in a row from three feet, then getting 20 in a row within this circle from 20 and 30 feet.  I did one group of 5 from 45 feet,.... but the green was too busy to do more.  Focused on reading the green, and aiming... my distance control is almost always good.

Day 65.  Played 18 with some friends.  My putting practice from last night seems to have paid off, although I still didn't putt to the 15 handicap benchmark.  But I wasn't that far off.  Short game was somehow great today;  two of my wedge shots resulted in tap-in par saves.

Somehow only 4 GIR, but 10 near-GIR.  Still not happy with either the GIR count nor the total, but some of that was on my driver today.

Approach was under the 10 handicap level, but just barely.  Still nice how often that happens :-) 

Day 367

30 minutes of hitting my 6i and 5h. Actually went very well considering I have not been spending any real time at a range due to the heat.

Day 549. My days posting in this thread are numbered. Lack of interest, and repetitiveness being the reasons. Not sure sure of my cut off date. I will continue my daily practices as always, but just not posting them in this thread. Truth be known, I have well over a 1500 days of some what continuous practice, and/or play, with very few hicups along the way. Very few.

Todays practice was on uneven lies. Side hill (2), down hill, and up hill lies. I used my trolley as a target since it was movable. 

Focuses were on weight distribution, ball in stance, shoulders matching the slope, club selection, and club face aim.

Goal was to land the ball on, or near my target line that extended past my target. 

It was good morning of practice.

DAY  594   My last week of posting in this thread.   Rainy on and off today... so I stayed in an took some swings in the garage standing on a couple of balance discs to help quiet my lower body and stay more centered.   Then some swings in my home office with my shortened 7-iron to work on positions throughout the swing.

Day 66.  Busy social schedule today meant I did a little bit of a cop-out;  medicine ball drill from LSW, both left and right handed versions.  Compared to all the playing I've done, or days where I spent an hour on a particular skill, this feels like a cop-out to only do about five minutes.  

Day 550. Just a little putting exercise, while waiting for a 10am tee time. 

Pretty much done with this thread. Too repetitive for me. Thanks to anyone who took the time. 

DAY 595   Went to the course today, ... due to all the recent and heavy rain, the range was closed, the course was cart path only for the back nine, and the front nine was being aerated.... so hung out on the putting green for well over an hour.  Worked on making 25 in a row from three feet, then getting 20 in a row into a three foot circle around the hole from 20, and 30 feet.  I started on 45 feet, made the first five into the circle and then the rains came!!!  I should say the torrential rains.  So will probably spend time this afternoon in my garage working on balance and staying centered, using a PVC pipe as a club while standing on a couple of balance discs.  This really helps with lower body stability... since if you sway in any direction you lose your balance.

Day 67.  Spent an hour on short putts (inside 15'), no particular drill, on a putting green at a course near the job I'm switching to, as I explore the area. 

If there seems like a lot of putting practice lately, yes there is.  It's a bit of low hanging fruit while I, of course, also maintain my full swing and work on gaining distance (and preparing to get video for evolvr), plus I sort of neglected it a bit, and it's hovering between "glaring weakness" and "you really suck at putting" territories, and I'd like to at least putt at a 15 handicap level consistently.   For contrast, my average over the past 10-12 rounds have had approach shots at a sub-10 handicap level, even the rounds with very few GIR.  And I think distance (again, something I'm working on, via speed sticks and the medicine ball) is what is keeping me back from better strokes gained off the tee (I hit way too many fairways for that to be the sticking point, with so few O.B./lost shots, albeit the fairway pokes are at a mere 205 yards out).  Anyway, just justifying why I'm lately on a bit of a "more than 15% practice time putting" binge. 

Day 368

30 minutes of mirror work, primarily focused on hips and follow through.  Felt good.

Then 15 minute of using the putting mat.  I adjusted the mat to have up hill and slightly high to left line.  I worked on 6' line and hit about 85% directly in.  Others I left for a tap in.

I will be doing such work as we hit a week of 110º+ days until start of next week, at least.

Stay hydrated, friends!