IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 6

8/6/19

Bump and runs with an 8 iron. It was a mixed bag of shots and I was fairly consistent with my distance control.

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: XR-16 Driver 10.5° :callaway: Epic Flash 3W, Big Bertha Steelhead 5W

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 95.  Practice facility day, the one with the grass range.  I used their short game area first, and hit about 20 pitch and chip shots.  Unfortunately, their "green" isn't really mown to anything, or if it was, it certainly isn't cut like a green.  But at least I can practice the form of the shots and look for direction, height, and general distance in the area. 

Then to the range to hit a bucket of 30 real range balls off of grass into the wild yonder.  My practice bag had 8-iron, which I hit flight shots, 6-iron (flight and full), 3H, 4W, and driver.  That took about an hour, a little more.  

Lastly, I tried to putt but their putting green hasn't been cut in what looks like over a week.  Not sure what's up with that.  It was slower than putting in a fairway, so I stopped.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Got about a month to my club championship, and I'm playing a lot of golf in the next month. Time to start this back up.

Day 1: Went to the range for a longer session today. Spent about 45 minutes on my long game, working on getting that feel of soft wrists in transition. Then went and did about 15 minutes of short game, just making sure my feel is where I want it to be. Then worked on my putting for about 45 minutes. Working on getting further away from the ball in set up and getting the shaft to align with my forearms. From there, doing a little bit of work on my stroke so I'm not bouncing the ball. Good start.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 391

Day 1 of "20 days and 20 shots/day" with the 6i only.

Got started with 15 planned 1/2 shots to make sure all was lining up well, from address through all positions up to and including the follow through.  

Actually, those shots felt good, even when inconsistencies were noted, mainly in terms of where the face of the club needed to be at every point.  When all was good, the basic loft and direction was more than simply solid.

It was a brain difficult day.  I had not spent over an hour with just one club before as I did today.  I kept my video running, stopping to review when something went bad or when something went really well, making both mental and physical notes.

Final 5 were attempts at fuller shots. There were four I was almost thrilled about, but one was pulled too much.

Tomorrow will be a repeat of this day especially if I get up a bit early to beat the heat.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 2: Spent 5 minutes working on my putting. Did the yardstick drill, but focused on set up. A little further away from the ball, and then shaft lining up with my forearms.

-- Daniel

Day 7

8/7/19

A lesson on the range with my instructor Jerry Bowers. I warmed up with a PW hitting full swings.  

Switched to a 5 iron and recorded video for a swing evaluation. Reviewed with my instructor and found a few things to work on:

Too much leg movement

Adding a little more shoulder rotation

Weight shift forward and following through after impact 

I concentrated on these changes and hit range balls with my 4,5,6 and 9 irons. Working on my swing flaws felt strange and shots were very inconsistent (some terrible), but the good ones sailed high and long with straighter divots. 

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

Day 392

Day 2 of my "learn to play a 6i" project

A repeat of yesterday to continue to to gain a good control of my most inconsistent club.

I started off with a number less than full swing thoughts.

Today began with 5 left arm only to make sure I was not some how flipping at contact and to make sure I am not simply losing control.  All were good fine and on to 1/2 swings. I was happy with the line of flight after the contact.  No shots were so far off line as to have even been a small concern.  I felt good with the face of the club through the back swing and follow through.

I finished with fuller swings. Loft was good and distance was fine, though I was not trying to hit the ball very hard.  Ball speed on the last 5 averaged about 90 and all finished with a slight draw.

Tomorrow I will extend the number of full swings to 8.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 96.  Trying to not overdo it leading into Friday's start of the club championship, today I did the medicine ball drill from LSW

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 299, August 8

Playing 18 today with my league. Will focus on the palmar flexion feel in pre-shot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 393

Day 3 of The "6i Quest!"

As I was planning tohlit some "longer" shots this morning, I began with a full set of physical warmups including 10 wings with the Orange Whip®. Arms and shoulders felt really good with no tension.

As with the  other days, I started with 5 shots going only to a 4 O'clock position on the back swing.  I do this to make sure the address points of good ligning up, face position, natural angles, and the like are all accounted for. 

In this respect, what pleased me the most, other than the good feel, was the nice sound I got as feed back indicating a nice connect at impact.  Loft was looking better and all the shots were very well placed on line.

Moved up for the next 15 to a 3/4 swing. The goal here was to keep everything as it "should" be with a slightly fuller swing.  I was concentrating mostly with club face position and head and shoulder activity.  I was OK with this grouping.  I did top one primarily as I had the ball a bit back in my stance, oops!

Again, good sound for most of them and with the exception of one fairly bad pull left, I was able to see some very nice alignment results.  I will spend some time this evening looking at the video to  study  my head and shoulders.  While they felt good, I want to make sure my mechanics were as good as they felt.

Edited by DrMJG

Day 3: Worked on putting again. Doing the yardstick drill, but focused more on my set up at this point. Looking better.

-- Daniel

Day 8

8/8/19

Full dry swings with a 6 iron. Worked on the same issues from yesterday and concentrated on keeping the club head square at impact.

-Craig-

In my bag:

Day 97.  Ruler drill, indoors, on carpet (well, the ruler on carpet), real balls.  

I wanted to go to the course and do something, but the day got away from me, and then the course that's open evenings had blocked everything off and any parking anywhere nearby was occupied.  No way to go!  Not sure what was happening.  I'm not happy with how today + yesterday's practice came out, but at least I did something.  Club championship starts tomorrow. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 394

Day 4 for My 6i redux 

I took all of the shots today as "full swing" but much slower tempo.  

The first 10 were slower that the last 10.  I wanted to make sure all went well through all of the positions of the swing.  Seemed a bit awkward at times; but, I sped up the actions to about 50% of what I usually take, I felt how it was all coming together.  

Topped 2 badly today in the first 5 but corrected.  

It was great seeing the ball loft well and take off rather straight.

I am working hard at not jumping the gun on this slow build of the club.  While I am chomping at the bit, I am working towards a long term ability to hit this club as needed.

Day 98, I'm a moron.

I played today, shot 88, not terrible, had a birdie, had also two triples and two doubles.  

I'm a moron because I felt all day like I was hitting my hybrids the wrong distance each time.  Guess what?  Somehow the shots that should be 3H were tagged as 4 and vice versa.  I somehow reversed my hybrids!  The only way I generally tell them apart is the tag in the end, glued in (gorilla glue), and the cover.  I guess I put them in the wrong pockets or something of the bag.  AAAGH!  I had a few great strikes with what turned out to be my 4H that came up just short. 

2725059_VsJxaAjC.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 4: Worked on putting again. Yardstick drill, focused on set up.

-- Daniel

Day 301, August 10

Chipping and pitching work. Focused more on short delicate ones as I have been over shooting the target with these.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 5: Went to the range for a long practice session. Worked on short game for a little over an hour. Putted for a while, working on speed mostly. Then when to the range and hit balls for about an hour. Systems are full go for a tournament tomorrow!

-- Daniel