IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 395

And, on it goes... Day 5 of the focus on the 6i

Today, after warm-up, I took all of the shots as somewhat gentle yet full swings, mainly to keep comfortable with all of the aspects the swing, from address and aim through follow-through.

None were topped and for the most part they went in the direction aimed.  I hit two worm burners with no loft.  Sat down and went through the process, good loft after that.  It did feel far more comfortable and, for lack of another word, normal.

Tomorrow, I will speed up the down swing and go for more distances.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 99.  Played;  despite only hitting 2 GIR + 1 fringe, my strokes gained approach is a half stroke better than the 10 handicap level.

If I had been given a mulligan instead of penalty when I hit my driver OB, my driver play would be pretty close to the 10 handicap level too.   But that isn't what happened.

I also didn't make a putt outside of 2' today.  I know Saturday of club championship has some tough positions, but that's ridiculous for me to make none.  Had some good chips to 6-8', didn't convert any. 

Shot 93, ESC 92.  Felt hungover for the first nine holes, despite not having had any alcohol since Sunday.  Wondering if I didn't properly rehydrate after yesterday's round. 

So I'm back to having a glaring issue which I will focus next week's practice time on.  Tomorrow is round 3, at least I made the cut. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 396

Day 6 of the 6i Rebuild!

Today was a learning day.

After my usual pattern of physical warm-ups, it was on to fuller and fuller shots.

I decided todays target was my usual "fairway" at the range.  I 20 yard wide area that goes from my hitting area directly back 285 to the fence.  I kw anything I hit there will be an acceptable shot.  AS well, I can adjust my target either left or right and shoot towards a free, 140 to the left and 160 to the right.  But today I was working on finally adding some distance to the 6i.

I did not start off hitting for distance.  It was for direction and loft.  Started off fine, but I ended up will a pull when I started adding for more distance. Ok, I went back to a slower swing, and direction got better.

I now now I was so focused on how far, I ended up over hitting the ball by trying to gain too much speed.  SO tomorrow I need to take a step or two back to regain control.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 302, August 11

Chipping and pitching in yard after mowing! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 6: Played 18 holes.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 100.  Round three of my club championship.  I was on buffer duty, which when I told my mom this over the phone, she thought I meant I was on "duffer duty."  That too, mom.

Anyway, over the three rounds, I averaged about 10 handicap level approach, a little worse than 15 handicap driving (thanks in part to an OB and some shots into the trees), and made a mess of the bed short game and putting.  Except today, I only had like 1.2 shots lost short game.  Yay for me. 

I don't know how I managed to get near a 10 handicap level strokes gained approach despite hitting only an average of 3 GIR per day, and four of those (the same hole all three days, plus one more today) were hit with a short-game shot.  If I can articulate a better form of this question, I might ask.

BTW, yes, I didn't manage a par until hole ten, and I managed to par #15 too.  Those are usually my two worst holes in the second nine at this course.  

2727931_1R8e2QXA.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 387

Yesterday had to be taken as a "mulligan"

The pain which has bothered my right leg for the last month and a half ended up for me getting an MRI and seeing an orthopedic doctor. Yes, pain, no major injury). So far, I am to be off that leg for yesterday and today, so I spent yesterday going grip work, as there are a number of things I am to avoid until Wednesday.

I am taking over the counter pain meds for now. and re-reading LSW.

Day 304, August 13. Not sure where my post from yesterday went.

Played 18 on a new course today. Pretty tough course. Had a few good holes, but the bugs were making me crazy. No wind, light rain, sweating a lot and gnats in my face. Shot in the 90s. Did not use Game Golf.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 8: Range session. Spent 30 minutes on my swing - working on a soft wrists in transition feel and some weight shift off the ball from address to A1. Then went and worked on putting for 45 minutes. Working on my stroke to ensure the ball doesn't bounce off the face. Seeing some really good results there.

-- Daniel

Day 1

8/13/19

An hour on the range with my instructor.

I warmed up with my PW and focused on the path from the top of the swing through the downswing.

Continued to work on the turn with my lower body still.

4,6,7,9 irons

Reviewed photos showing the top of my swing.

I got the driver out and hit around 15 balls with it.

I was hitting the ball better more of the time today and it was an improvement from my last trip to the range.

Played holes 1,3 and 4.

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: XR-16 Driver 10.5° :callaway: Epic Flash 3W, Big Bertha Steelhead 5W

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

Day 101.   I missed yesterday, my previous miss was July 17, so I'm safe as far as the contest goes (previous miss to that was in May).

Today, putting drill on the ruler.  Of course it came out fine.  But I putted horribly at club championship, need to diagnose, practice, and then get back to my full swing work.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 388

Got approval to do slower swings from ortho doc.

This ended up with swings with 80 ball speed and distances of 130 on averages.  Many times I get some nice results when I don't try hard to "get results".

Concentrated on a forward finish. 

Day 305, August 14

Mirror work at the gym. Focused on tempo and my PP.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 2

8/14/19

Dry swings with my 4 iron

Focused on tempo from the top of the backswing to the downswing.

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: XR-16 Driver 10.5° :callaway: Epic Flash 3W, Big Bertha Steelhead 5W

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

Day 9: Did some full swing mirror work. Working on soft wrists in transition and little move off the ball before A1.

-- Daniel

Day 102.  Almost didn't get to practice today:  I was doing some writing and realized it was 8:00.  So I didn't do a full range session when I got there.

What I did do:  3' around the world.  Unlike the normal drill, I did each putt until I made them, using about 17 total putts to sink 12.  Not great, especially when I had multiple misses from the same spot in a row.  Then I did this at 6', then back to 3'.  

Then I did speed sticks, protocol 2.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 306, August 15

Really good range session today. I wish I brought my tripod. I focused on tempo, tempo, tempo with the whole bag for full, partial swing and short game. I have a bad habit of rushing on the course and I need to cure that.

So I worked with my PP (a bit of palmar flexion from A4) but with the feel of smooth backswing, smooth transition then accelerate through impact and keep focus on the ball through impact. Felt great and made really good contact consistently. I started with PW with 3/4 swings for a couple balls, then full for 2. Then 8, 6, 4, 4w, driver, 3H, 5, 7, 9, GW, SW, LW. Same routine and feel. Took breaks.

Then onto sand. My set up is key, wide stance, sit back a bit, soft arms, low hands, weight a bit on the left side and focus on the ball. 

Finished with pitches and chips with the SW and LW. 

I did notice my PW head coming loose, so I need to repair that. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 399

As with yesterday, 20 shots with the 6i.

When I try not to blast the shot, my results are really better.  

I have had good ball speeds, for me, consistently in the upper 90's. Distances today were averaging 160 and direction was fairly good, with one not too bad hook.

By saying "not blasting", I mean not trying to add more raw force and sheer muscle to my actions.  I also accept that the numbers above as what will be my normal full shot for the club.  Yes, many get greater distances but for me, an older duffer, having a very consistent result allows me plan for when and how I am using the club.

Tomorrow will be the end of the make the 6i usable and this weekend, I will be having the club joined by one in each direction: my 5h and 7i.  And, if I can find a cooler morning, I will take it to the course.

To my readers, thanks for putting up with this project!

Edited by DrMJG