IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 33

Had to squeeze in about ten minutes of slow motion takeaway drills with the weighted club, followed by twenty five full speed swings.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did not have much time (was at work from about 730 am until 730pm), but a nearby course is open until 9pm and I didn't have golf clothes with me (note to self: put a dri-fit shirt in the car). 

Day 139.  A round of 6' putts and another of 4' putts.  Did until I made one from each station.  I found a golf course whose practice green has some spots with good slope on them.  Good for practice, not so good for ego.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day- IDK, but well over 600 continous practice, or play days since this new thread started. Posting every day became too repetitive for me. 

This morning, and for the next few weeks I will be putting in alot of practice time with my 5W. This is the one club in my bag, I have the least confidence in. My problem is I tend to top balls with when hitting them of the turf. A very annoying situation for me. 

Since the local courses I frequent are over seeding, I will have alot of practice time available. 

Today's practice was a small basket of balls. After a good warm up period, I hit the next bunch of the balls, off a short, 1/4" tee, using my 5W. I use the shorter tees to help mimic off the turf lies. Since they are over seeding the driving range as well, the shorter tees off the mats work quite well. 

I also utilized my metal yard sticks, using the numbers to compare various stance alignments, widths, and ball placements. I am looking for the right combination. 

I hit some quality 5W shots, but I still have work to do, as far as a confidence builder. Off the turf hits are a couple weeks away. 

Before leaving the range, I hit a few other clubs to make sure my 5W swing search didn't mess any other clubs up. 

From there I went to the practice putting green. Being Saturday morning, it was crowded. I used an open area with no hole(s) cut to "roll" putts. I used two "birdie balls" set on their ends for targets. A few guys wanted to chat about this set up. I didn't mind the interuptions.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 34

Walked in the Suwanee Fall Parade this morning with my kids and their school, so I missed an opportunity to play with a friend of mine who was in town.  However, when we got home, I was able to get out and hit some balls into the net.  I worked through all of the clubs, working on my pre-shot routine and BTT... FTT swing-thought. 

I didn't hit the ball as well as I have been, and I could tell when I was distracted (the kids were being their extra-selves... including a fist-fight and bloody nose) that I didn't stay in the swing all the way through to my finish.  I need to go in for another lesson soon.

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Day 432

30 minutes with the putter, primarily working on hitting the ball squarely and through the putt.  Have too much of a habit of not continuing through.

Greens were a bit difficult for me today, the course changed the locations of the holes on the practice green and I could not simply trust memory.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 140 -- you know you're serious about the 5 minute daily challenge when you bring your 12 lb medicine ball to a hotel so you don't risk missing a day.  Did that drill this evening.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 35

Went out to the backyard and worked on my alignment and pre-shot routine, and then hit full shots while focusing on my BTT... FTT swing-thought.  My results were much better than yesterday, with a bunch of well-struck shots.  I really tried to focus on picking out a target in the trees beyond the net and hitting shots toward that.

Day 433

5 shots each trough the bag; session was filmed.

One of my biggest problems started to make itself manifest: rising up as I finish my swing.  After feeling it and then confirming it on the video, I was able to mitigate it to a good extent.

Clubs were within expectation for range and I was able to keep direction within expected range so that I think, on the course scheduled for tomorrow, I would have not (probably) hit any OB.

Ready as I can expect to be given this old frame of mine.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 141.  I wanted to go to the range and do full swing + speed stix.  But out of about FIVE DOZEN BAYS, they were all taken.  I putted for a bit, but I couldn't do drills either because the green was largely occupied.  Still got something in at least.  Need to find out the practice areas in my new home.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 1, Sept 23

Missed three days due to family issues. Did mirror work today focusing on keeping the hands from rolling through impact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 36

Worked on takeaway positions with my weighted club for five minutes, and then made twenty slow motion full swings.  Finally, I made twenty full speed swings.

Day 434

Well, I did get about 25 minutes in, but conditions were, shall we say interesting.

My round was washed out due to storms moving through the area.  A few hours later the weather cleared enough for me to go to the range.

Decided to work on feeling one with my 7i with its new grip.  It does not taper as much as the older grip and that is good for my very arthritic right had

It is staring to feel very solid and I have been getting good results.

However, just as I was getting going, we started having very high winds. They even got strong enough to have the matts on the upper deck go flying. So, I took it as a sign for me to call it a day.  

Not sure if Pooh would have liked this blustery day!

Day 142.  Picked a different range this time, a bit further away, but near a friend I was going to watch MNF with.  Hit a small bucket, over the course of an hour.  I can feel that I have been neglecting long game.  Hopefully I get plenty of practice in (but tomorrow will not be that day, sadly). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 2, Sept 24

Mirror work at the gym with the driver. Focused on hands not rolling through impact, set up and smooth transition.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 143.  I knew I wouldn't have time tonight, so I went to a putting green on the way to work.  4', breaking putts, trying to make all 12 (still on the "eventually" phase).  Only made 5 first pass and only two on second pass.  That's very not good.  I think I got spoiled by the smaller break in the practice green near my old house.

I'm not super happy that I'm spending so much of my practice time on the least important thing to practice, but I figure it's still better than not practicing and getting better at putting isn't bad and it's not like I can go to the range and hit five balls (unless I want to pay for a small bucket and only hit the few I'd have time for). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 37

Got home early enough to go outside and hit balls into my net for about 30 minutes.  I worked on my impact position, with mixed results.  Some shots were crisp, and felt like they were shot out of a rifle, while others were a little fat, and a few others were thin.  I need to get out more often, but I know that tomorrow and Thursday are going to be no-gos because of professional development classes, but it looks like this weekend may be wide open.

Day 435

Round rescheduled for tomorrow!!

So, a quick quasi through the bag employing my driver, 6i, 7i, 4h, 5h, and the wedges.

I was happy with about 80-85% for the whacks and most of the others, save 2 slices out of nowhere (or so it seemed) would not have been so off as to add an extra a stroke or 2 to recover.

So my delay from Monday now becomes a match on Wednesday. Range work is helping me develop muscle memory to join up to my brain.

Should be fun in he AM!!!

Okay, I'm going to give this another shot.

Day 1:

I was at the range today for about an hour and a half. I set up 3 stations one to hit driver, one to alternate between 3 wood and hybrid, one to alternate between 8 iron and 6 iron. 30 balls in each station. 

Hit driver, move to station 2 and hit either 3 wood or hybrid, move to station 3 and hit either 8 iron or 6 iron. Repeated that for all 30 balls in each station. 

During the process I focused on balance, having a complete finish and holding that finish until the ball landed. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.