4,903 posts / 228730 viewsLast Reply

Context:  I went to a course near me and got a range key.  $100 for $120 worth of credit, which I like because their small buckets (size I use) are $6 at their place, and that works out to $5/bucket with the range key (20 buckets for $100).  But I found out that in the morning they're only $4 if you use a key, so I extend it even further.  This makes it better than the other course that has a monthly fee of $44 but has a "free" large per day, but I wouldn't use that many balls and there are never stalls free when I stop by anyway (I tried a few times).

Day 144.  Hit a small bucket, and I think my priority piece is in place OR I'm omitting it, and I think it's the former.   Outdoors, off a mat, range balls.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Day 2: 

I did my SuperSpeed Golf swing speed exercises over lunch break. I'm still in the first phase for the rest of this week. Which means 6 sets (3 righty, 3 lefty) of standard swings and 6 sets (3 righty, 3 lefty) of step drill swings, then one final set of standard swings. Next week I get to move on to phase 2. 

Incidentally, my swing speed does seem to have increased. But it appears as though I've had some other ramifications. 

Day 38

Late night, so I worked on takeaway positions with the weighted club.  Then worked on my release.

Day 436

Had a chance put in some range work prior to driving a short distance to my round.

Started off with a fine spray, in terms of direction.  Much of that was due to trying to hard to warm up.  Sat down and took another draw or 5 of the coffee I brought along. Then went up concentrating on only two physical actions: head steady and in-out actions.  

Results were much better. Used my 7i, 4h, wedges and driver only in the warmups. Distance and lift-off was really good.  I just need to not over hit if I really want to limit the ball off the club!

Now, off to battle!!

Day 3.

I spent a lot of time at the range with the launch monitor. I'm striving for 16.5 to 17 degree launch angle. That gives my best driver distance. 

I've been working with super speed golf sticks and its improved my swing speed. My launch angle has dropped, however. Often down in the single digits. So I'm trying to maintain my new found swing speed, but get my launch angle back up to maximize my distance with the driver. 

Day 39

Another late night... another session with the weighted club.  Really focused on good takeaway positions, and turning my shoulders at the top.

Dat 437

Light work to after round yesterday.

Worked on not over powering my 71.  Mainly a lot of "think before you swing". Much better in terms of line, Speed was down about 5mph but it wasn't that much of yardage lost.

Last night, I went to a seminar hosted by a nearby golf fitness place.  I was on their mailing list because they are affiliated with the place that fit me for my Edel putter a few years ago.  At that event last night, they gave some suggested stretches, some of which involve a stretchy band.  

Day 145.  Did the stretching exercises described above.  I also went to the gym this morning and my primary reason for wanting strength is golf, but I don't think that counts as practice for this.

Day 6, Sept 27

Went to play today but the course I went too was crowded and it looked to be playing slow. So I went to a range and worked on things for about 1.5 hours. Full swing focused on set up and not allowing hands to roll. With irons, I want to come a little steeper into the ball. Driver, I moved the position a bit forward, ball of left foot, and it seemed to help flight out a lot. 

Moved on the sand and short game. Sand has gotten better recently focusing on set up. I worked on some tough pitch shots from tight lies on sandy ground behind the trap. Boy was that hard. 

Day 4,

Again, spent time working on my launch angle. It's really interesting how big a difference that can make. I need to put together a post just talking about that. 

I also did my overspeed training with my SuperSpeed Golf Sticks. Only one more session to go and I'll be moving on to the Second Block of SuperSpeed Training. 

Day 40

Went to Peachtree Golf Center after work today.  It is a par 3 with lights that is open until 10:00 PM, and it has a good variety of holes, from a little over 100 yards, to 190 over water.  For all of the practice I've been getting in, I really forgot to do a lot of the things I've been working on.  When I remembered my "BTT... FTT" mantra/swingthought, I hit good, solid shots.  When I didn't, I hit shots that ballooned to the right.  I still need to work on my release, and getting my hips open through impact.

Edited by bwdial

Day 438

Had some spare time today so I took time to really hit my 7i.  

I have begun to feel comfortable with the new grip. That took longer than I thought it would.  

I out the same grip on my 4h and felt it was perfect by the second swing. I changed to a Golf Pride with a bit less tapering because of a need for my right hand. Seemed to work well for the hybrid.

Still feels a bit off on the 7i, so worked to get a better handle on it. (Pun intended, sorry.) Made the club feel heavier even though the weight of the club did not change.  Now the older grip was showing serious wear, so it might be simply getting back to "normal"

After 25 whacks, I began getting the loft, distance and direction better in order.  I seem to have a fuller control the club and it feels very comfortable.  My arthritis is not even noticed.

I was fitted for the grip, as well.

Should be a solid fix after this weekend.

Edited by DrMJG

Day 146.  This morning (over twelve hours ago!), I went to a range near me.  Small bucket, 30 balls or so (range, mats, outdoors), took a little over an hour with many slow practice swings on each.  Great way to start the day!

Day 5

Long day today. Remodeling the master bedroom. I realized it was getting late. Went to the basement with my putter. I spent 10 minutes rolling a ball down a metal yardstick. It actually was good, in more ways than one. 

Day 41

I was disappointed with my ball striking last night, as I felt like I reverted back to my old ways.  I watched shot after shot balloon into the air and fall short of the green.  So, today I went out and worked on my impact position for about a half and hour.  I got into my ideal impact position pre-shot, and then tried to return to that position after a short, chip-ish swing.  It took me a while to start making solid contact, but after a while I was able to get solid contact on half shots, and finally a couple of full shots before it got too dark.

Day 439

Only time or 20 shots, so decided to use the driver.

Good loft, and some solid distance.

speed averaging 110, 205 distance.

Direction, ok with a few slightly left, a few slightly right but all good for next shot.

Day 147.  Played 18 today.  Didn't feel like I played well (started with three doubles, for instance) but broke 90 (shot 89) on a course where I feel breaking 90 is a very good score (15.7 differential).  Have not done GG analysis yet.