IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 346

A little chilly breeze this morning. 

After warming up, it was 42, 50-60 yard swings with my AW. 

After the AW work,  it was 18 pins of putting practice using one ball. 

Course is not busy, so after a little breakfast I might as well go play 9, or 18. Heck, maybe 27, or 36. It's the Holiday Season, right?

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DAY 383    I forgot to post yesterday ..... so I am not sure I am on 383 or 384.  Didn't do much anyways..  Erik can decide.

Today was an excellent day at the range.  Spent 3 hours working on technique for my full swing.... backswing positions, and Key #2 Weight Forward.  The range has become VERY busy in the last month, as a lot of mini-tour players have found it and spend lots of time on it...and the course.  All prepping for local mini-tours, and a couple for Q-School for the Latin America tour... which is this month.  Fun to watch their swings...and talk with them about their aspirations and plans. :-)

Then headed to the putting green for 90 minutes to work with the Pelz Putting Tutor to get feedback on the extent to which I consistently start the ball on line.  Followed by a game of 21 from 15 feet to a VERY downhill hole on a green that STIMPS at 11.

Day 68, December 13

Putting in the basement today.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 9 today.  Played 18 on a local par 70 course that I hadn't played before.  Great little track on a breezy day.  Shot 41/45.  Just one 3 putt where I started out 58 ft away and missed an 8 footer for par.  Hit 10 fairways but only 4 greens.  That is exactly what I have to improve on!

• Administrator

Day 303 - December 13, 2018 - Got some good work in today on some punch shots for the kids, and then worked on the full swing after the junior session was over for a few minutes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 152:

Worked on a specific objective: shots under and above trees.  I followed a specific suggestion for punch shots using ball placement at the address to help regulate the height of the shot.  I used by 5i to give it a real purpose in my bag.

Center position or a ball width further back kept the ball down to be a low liner, of great danger to squirrels on the course.  I was only able to hit it between 75 and 100 eras, but that would be enough to get back on  fairway.  

Advancing the ball a bit more left gave me slightly higher launch but still only able to get over a smaller bush or keep under some branches. It took me a little while to get consistent with this one as there's still a good chance, for now, that I will top the ball if I do not refrain from casting.

The third punch shot, using my 5i was easiest for me, using some of the stuff I have been working on. I aligned the ball a bit closer to the left foot and got a quick rising and high shot that should get over many trees.  

Line was good on these shots as I used a 3/4 back swing and I was not closing the face too much.

It was great fun to work on "making a shot" as opposed to doing basics of my swing and checking club distance.

None of the courses I currently play have a lot of major sized trees to deal with.  But, I will be ready the next time I play Torrey Pines!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 62: Back to the mirror work again today. Checking my set up and that I'm still shallowing out in the downswing.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

DAY 384.   Was out from 8-9:30 a.m. before the rain drove me in!!  The only guys left on the range were two guys prepping for the upcoming Latin America Q School.  I invested my time this morning working on positions and sequencing in my swing ... I have a tendency for my torso to stall out on the downswing such that I end up hanging back.... flipping/not compressing the ball.  

Day 347

I played 27 holes yesterday. At one point, I had a string of about six holes, where I was pushing full swing shots to the right. 

First thing I checked was my grip. That seemed to be fine.

Next I checked ball position in my stance, thinking maybe the ball was to far back in my stsnce for the club I was using. Didn't see an issue there. 

I then check my stance, looking at my toe line, hips, and torso for vertical alignment. Didn't see anything wrong there. 

Keep in mind, that I was doing these  swing checks quickly while playing, and only when I had full swing shot, with a longer club. At no time did I think there was anything wrong with my actual swing. 

We had a little wait on a tee box. This afforded me some extra time to get my own swing note book out, to look for why I hit pushed shots.  

Long story short, I found my problem. Although I did check my body's verticle alignment to  the ball without seeing an issue, I was indeed setting up with my shoulders closed which aligned them to the right. My full swing follows my shoulder line.

I'd forgotten to do one small detail in my preshot routine. The very last thing I do before looking at the ball, before starting my back swing is, I look at my targeted landing area. That's all I want to see. For my proper alignment, I don't want to see any part of my left shoulder. It shouldn't be in my target view. If it is, my shoulders are closed, which also opens my clubface to my intended target line at impact, which causes the pushed shots. Once I figured out that minor problem, the pushed shots disappeared.

So, that's what I worked on this morning, as a re-enforcement to not getting complacent on the golf course. 

• Informative 1

In My Bag:

Day 69, December 14

Range work today. Warmed up with mapping drill emphasizing my priority piece. Worked with feel of left shoulder going around and up through impact and pitch right elbow. Then I gathered MEVO data with PW, 7 & 4 irons and 4W. The work on my shoulder turn through impact seems to be getting me another 5 yards with my 7 iron. I think I am also making better contact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 63: Mirror work again. Working on the softening wrists feel in transition.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Day 304 - December 14, 2018 - Messed around with the Puttist for a little bit today. Ten minutes or so. Initial impressions are good, but I didn't play a game or anything, I just hit putts and tried to increase my distance one foot at a time, up and down.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 153 (almost forgot to post!)

It was hybrids day again. In general it was  very good day.  3h, 4h, 5h all showed good spacing in terms of distance and all were solidly online with good loft. I was also pleased with the 4h off of the tee and would use it on par 3's of about 150-165 yds without hesitation.

I also took a bit of time for some putting.what I was working on was keeping the 1st putts into finishing close enough for a tap  in.  To many 3 putts on my last round.  Still need to be more consistent, but went ok.

Got a lot done in the 45 minutes I had today.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

#10.  Worked on follow thru and weight transition today....didnt hit any balls, just swinging a club and repeating a good motion.

Edited by Moose68

Day 348

Just my usual chip/putt routine this morning.

Using one ball, from various areas around the green, to different practice pin locations,  I try to chip the ball in the hole, or atleast close enough for a one putt. 

Focuses were on green reads for both the chip, and putt(s). Body alignment from my feet, up to my shoulders. Also, club face aim before stepping into my stance. 

Once warmed up, I practice to 18 practice (different) pins. I assign par on each pin a 2, for an over all par of 36. 

The big difference this morning was, I went to a different course farther down the street, and used their unfamiliar short game practice area. Using a two tiered green,  I scored a 42. (+6) On a couple of the chips I was a dummy, and should not have aimed at the pin. Should have played them for an easier one putt.

In My Bag:

DAY 385   Cart path only, range closed.... BUT... the putting green was OPEN!!!  So I spent two hours on the putting green.  The first drill was designed to help with the continued development of my distance control.  10 balls in a row into a 3 foot circle around the hole from 20 feet, then 30 feet and finally 45 feet.  I changed things up a little in that the 20 and 30 foot putts were uphill and the 45 foot putt was a challenging downhill one.  I learned a technique from an Aimpoint Instructor on how to handle distance control on downhill putts so after missing the first couple of putts, I made 10 in a row including holing one.

Then did a drill  from The Scoring Method setting up tees at five points around the hole.  Starting at 3 feet you have to make 10 in a row....twice around the circle, then I progressed to doing the same from 4 feet and finally 5 feet.  Rather than finding a hole with little slope, I chose one with 4% slope, so even 4 of the 5 putting locations required me to aim outside the hole from 3 feet.  Challenging but fun.

In the area of putting I am always working with developing my skills so I have no pressure!! 40 feet away, lag it to 1-2 feet and tap it in!!  4 foot putt - heck I have made 1000s of these... so set up and make it.  :-)

Day 154

Today can best be described as too tight and tired to do well at the range.

After al the range work and two slightly better than average rounds, physically and mentally I was not in shape to do what I did: went through the bag at a top tracer bay. Over all distances were off by 20-30 yards, depending on the club. I was off, on average 10 yards left and right.

I tried a few "on the run" corrections but the results were not enough.  I did have some clubs that played along, 5i, Driver and, the wedges.   So it was not a total  loss.

I am a little bit stiff and tired from yesterday. And, I am stubborn enough to have not taken a day off as I want to take no off days on practice until the year ends!

Well, we all have those days and golf has ways of bringing you to reality.