IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Day 329 - January 8, 2019 - Got some full swing work in today trying out a little training aid. It's a SKLZ wrist thing. Not sure about it, yet, but will try it again tomorrow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 177

The 5 minute practice was actually close to 15 pre-round.  Started out with about 20 swings with the Orange Hammer of Thor.  Felt really good and I felt really loose. I worked to keep the arc good and concentrated on the lag tempo.  Then roughly 10 minutes taking drivers off a teem opposed to off a mat at my local range.  Mixed results is visualizing a shot off of a tee I set up.  I have physically measured the height of the mat tee and I am lucky the tees I used today have lines to measure.  But is is a major visual change.  By the 4th set up or so I felt solidly ok; my results in the round were not bad at all.  Again, a matter of visuals on the drives kept me from feeling all ready for the round.

There is a "new" 9 hole course very near to my house.  It was rebuilt over the summer so I am just playing the course for only the second time.  Rather narrow fairways with a lot of bare desert and shallow traps all around.  Some water, but none of my round objects wanted a bath, though one ended up about a club length short.

Hit 55 on a par 36 3,400 course. Longest 9 I have played all year and I would say I gave up 10 or so strokes to poor course planning by hitting shots that were played with the wrong club for the shot to be taken.  I usually played a club too short.  I have baked a lot of information for future play.  Hit only 2 GIR and both ended up as pars.  I had the rest as doubles for the most part. No snowmen but the grim reaper (7) did appear.

No penalties, no OB, but a somewhat odd play out of the deepest trap should have brought a round of laughter if I were not playing alone.  Tee shots were rather on line, so focus will be on hybrids.  Not sure they were awful, but I did not always get the distance I was looking for.

So all in all, about what I expected for the first round in just under 3 weeks; I have allowed for great room for growth.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 88: Got a slightly new thing to work on from my Evolvr instructor today, so I spent some time trying some feels in my mirror work. I'm working on closing the face a bit more in transition than it is currently. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 6 (missed 1/7).  Got my evolvr lesson, spent five minutes this evening doing a drill with a club across my chest as per the lesson.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 8, 8 January

A short session today:

10 minutes working on position at the top of my backswing, and growing what that feels like. Hit a number of shots with a 8i.

10 minutes putting from 12 ft, working on a straight takeaway and consistent strike through the ball.

Day 373

Just finished hitting some warm up balls prior to an 8:15 am tee time. 

Went to the putting green first, since that's the last club I will use on the first hole.

Finished up with my 3W which is the first club I will use on that first hole.  Probably use it for  my second shot too, since first hole is a parr 5.

Went through most of my bag, hitting most of the balls off the turf. No real focus since it was just warming up, to get to the first tee in a relaxed, good frame on mind. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 95, January 9

Mirror work at the gym focusing on head at setup and pitch elbow from A4 - 6. Did partial swings, then about 10 swings into an impact bag. Worked on the feel of my right elbow with the bag.

Finished with some easy swing working on the finish.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 24: 

Nice range session today. Just a small bucket of balls but I hit through my irons a bit, and then focused primarily on driver. No shanks or off the planet slices with any clubs today. Still Making sure I don't move toward the ball in the downswing. Still hitting a few fatties. Driver focus was on AoA...and there is plenty of work left to be done here. 

• Administrator

Day 330 - January 9, 2019 - A few swings today, focusing not as much on the left shoulder as rotation in general. Felt better. Too fast, but I'm just doing this part, and will get back to the elbow pieces soon here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 178

Today was what I would call concentration day. By that I am referring to concentrating on the swing totally though. I find my self stopping thinking only about impact. "Hey, struck the ball where I wanted to hit it." Yes concentration on the moment of impact IS important, but the flow after impact seemed sloppy. My golf pro and I worked o making sure after impact was good as it is, at least, an indication of the downswing being good.

This often showed the lack of hip turn as well as good work with the arms, as well.

Worked on this for 1/2 hour   Demonstrated a good understanding and fairly good result. Need to apply this at every swing for every club.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 9:

Went to the range and worked on feeling like my transition starts with my left knee going toward the target. After that I walked 9 holes. Dropped balls in various locations working on different shots. 

Day 9, 9 Jan

5 minutes in my top hall putting area. Working on taking the club back on-line and a steady stroke through. I’m really seeing the results.

15 minutes on my SkyTrak, 8i, working on staying over the ball, dropping into slot at top of back swing and whipping through the ball.

Onwards!

lesson booked for next Friday, game this Sunday.

DAY 410     Started the day off on the wrong foot.   I thought my lesson with my coach was at 9:30 -- it was at 10:30....  So I arrived VERY early.   Turning lemons into lemonade, I used the extra hour to practice several of my drills to improve my backswing and impact positions.   The lesson focused on making a couple small changes to my set up with allowed me to compress the ball better... I had let the ball get too far forward in my stance for a mid-iron.  With the new set-up we then worked on hitting to targets.

Then headed home and back to the range where I spent 2 plus hours working through my normal drills -- beginning with a focus on set up each time I hit a ball.   I felt it was a long and productive day...

Day 89: Mirror work again today. Still working on the soft wrists in transition feeling. Also working on closing the face a bit more during the downswing. Good start to this feel, I think.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

22 hours ago, Shindig said:

Day 6 (missed 1/7).  Got my evolvr lesson, spent five minutes this evening doing a drill with a club across my chest as per the lesson.

Day 7:  did the same.  The plan at the moment is to do this tomorrow and then hit the range on Friday alternating this drill and then swinging (of course, I will post here;  just listing my thoughts with respect to practice as part of this).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 10:

Well it was in the 60s at the range yesterday. Today 34 with strong wind. Didn’t stop me from getting out and working on distance control with wedges. Hit my 50, 54, and 58 to the same distances working on different carries and trajectories. This evening I’ll do some more mirror vision work from home. 

Day 374

Just some three club practice (warm up)  this morning in preparation for a "3 Club Tourney" a bit later today. Luckily I found out about it by accident yesterday in time to get entered.

Going with my 3W, 7W, and 9i. Just finished full, and abreviated swings for various distances with these clubs. Also stroke a few chips, and  putts with my 7W using my putting stroke. ( just grip down)  Also hit a few balls out of a bunker with my 9i. 

Now all I have to is find the course it's being played at.......lol

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer: