IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

DAY 508     Spent a couple of hours on the range working on improving the amount of sidebend in my backswing and also turning into the right hip versus swaying.  And initiating my downswing in with pelvic rotation, then torso rotation, then arms, and finally hands.   Making LOTS of progress on this with my irons...   Then headed over to the chipping/pitching green and worked for another couple of hours on my technique for 10-20 yard chip/pitches.  I am "yipping" a LOT less and while hitting using left arm only, right arm only and then both hands starting to develop a smoother tempo and swing.  Progress.. still a lot more to go.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 463

Worked on 20-40 yard pitch, and lob/flop shots this morning. A lot better weather today than yesterday. Warmer, with less wind.

Management does not allow the practice green to be used for these longer shots, which is a good thing. Most folks practicing wouldn't fix their ball, impact marks. However, they do provide 4 other targets. for shots up 90-100 yards in the short game practice area. 

Focuses were on set up, ball position, intermediate target for club face aim, and just putting a good swing on the ball.

Also worked on how my open stance interacted with my open club face. I have to remind myself from time to time, on how to aim that open club face to fly the ball at my target. 

After a little warm up, I hit 56 balls. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 274:

Started out with a 15 minute warm up on a range before heading out for a quick round.  Range work was ok but a bit unspectacular in terms of distance. Many of the practice shots tended to pull a bit more than acceptable.

Score of 99.  Good aspects were no 3 putts and good play out of the sand,  Wedge shots seemed to find that right distance to give me either a makable putt or allow for a nice tap in after the first putt.

I simply did not get distance off the tee or second shot to get me where I needed to go.  I suspect that it was still a bit from not feeling fit for the past week. The mechanics seemed ok; but swing speed was down (or at least felt down) and when I pushed it a bit at the end, I ended up with two swimmers.

Have kept the overall play this year near mid-90s to very low 100's.  Have not come close to getting back to an under 90, though the the one last year was a lucky fluke.  

Will get back to better swing speeds as I can.  While everything felt solid, I need to eliminate 10 or so shots per round to feel all is well.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 509     Back at it working on sidebend on the backswing, maintaining my posture through the shot and improving my kinematic sequence (pelvis, torso, arms and then hands).   Again using a couple of drills I am making progress on my irons.

Then did an iron fitting.  Last week I did one that was indoors at Golf Galaxy, and they recommended Callaway Rogue, Standard Lie, TT XP95 regular shaft.   Today I hit that club, and ones from Mizuno (Hot Metal) and Ping (G410).   The best club by far was the Ping G410 with an ALTA CB Red 73 gram regular shaft.  It gave me more height at the apex (which I needed) and WAY more carry.. and total distance.

Then back to the range to continue working on my swing!

Day 186, April 11

Played 18 today. Drove the ball much better and a few really good shots. Making progress. Shot an 87 with 4 pars and a birdie. Had a couple of bad holes but managed to par 2 nemesis holes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 464

Range day today. This is when I set up with a perimeter fence on my right, and use yardage flags on my left to make a "smallish" fairway. 

Then, after some warm up time with wedges, and the older, more worn out looking balls, I go through my bag of clubs. 

I go LW, Driver, SW, 3W, AW, 5W... etc. I then reverse that order, and go through clubs again. I do this 4 times. (52+ balls) I take my time after each shot, since I have to take a few steps to replace/retrieve clubs from my bag. No raking of balls. 

Focuses are on set up, ball position, intermediate target for club face aim, and just putting a good swing on the ball, along my shoulder line

The goal is to land balls in, or close to the edges of my make shift fairway. I don't want to see any slices, hooks, thin, or fat shots. I did slice my driver on the first go around. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

Day 187, April 12

Went to the range and worked on chips and pitches with my 58 and PW. Then worked on sand and filmed for Evolvr. Finished with work on setup and alignment with PW, 7 iron and Driver.

Scott

My Swing Thread

DAY 510   Back at it early.  Spent a couple of hours on the range working on my kinematic sequence on the downswing (pelvis, torso, arms and then hands) and staying in posture through the swing.. I tend to stand up aka early extend.    Then to the putting green working with the Pelz Putting Tutor to train starting the ball on line, and then 2 drills (20 in a row inside 3 feet from 20, 30 and 45 feet) and 25 in a row from 3 feet with the 6 tees set up around the hole.

Day 275:

While the wind died down quite a bit, it did have a mild impact on today's work.  But, not enough of a factor to become a reason for a few hook and/or pulls.

Practiced my 3h, 5h and G5 Driver.  

Took a while to feel truly warmed up, even after my physical warm ups and work with the orange torture rod.  I appear to have still  lost power this week mainly in gluteus and quads,  They feel a bit too loose from lack of full activity. That may need to be a major focus these next weeks.

On the other hand, I DID get ball speeds up back near my averages. Even with the afore mentioned hooks and pulls, mainly in early practice swacks, I was getting acceptable distance and lofts even though I secretly wanted more distance. Though in my rounds on a course, I would have felt OK .

I am starting to ask myself if I am becoming too complacent with my golf.  Maybe I am just a a tableau before the next phase.

Both on the range and in rounds, I am generally satisfied; I still need to look at a few more videos for, perhaps, ways to increase club/ball speed without getting sloppy with other techniques.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 433 - April 12, 2019 - Hit a few putts in the living room while watching "Live From" the Masters.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 465

Out early this morning to beat the weekend rush. Great weather is finally back.

Worked on those pesky forced carries this morning. The carry was a bunker with a 3'-5' foot burm on the far side . The target was a flag, 10'+/- feet past the burm.

Set ups were 30, and 50 yards away from the flag. Ball lies were from 3 day old semi (?) Rough. 

Focuses were on set up, ball position, club face aim, and putting a good swing on the ball. 

The goal of course, was to carry the bunker, the burm, and to land the ball near the flag. 

Three balls, due to mishits, didn't carry far enough. Those balls became bunker practice. They came out close enough, that I could consider them one putt up, and downs. 

From time to time, when playing for a lower score, forced carries happen. This practice routine, makes those forced carries easier to deal with.

In My Bag:

Day 188, April 13

Bit of an off day today. Did about 10 minutes of pitching and chipping in the backyard. Playing tomorrow and Tuesday.

Scott

My Swing Thread

DAY 511   The weather is heating up!!  Finished practice and the thermometer in my car was registering 91!!   Spent about 3 hours on the range and around the chipping/pitching green.  On the range continued to work in my backswing, proper sequencing in my downswing and maintaining in my posture through impact.   Then over to the chipping area where I continue to work on chips using right hand only, left hand only and then both hands.  My technique is gradually improving.   Still a long way to go.... but feeling hopeful,

Day 276:

Spent most of today's practice working on the pull/hook I often get from my 6i and 7i.

I  double checked grip and swing path,  They seemed ok though I did spend some time making sure I was not putting a stranglehold on the grip of the club.

I did notice my follow through was a bit off, mainly in moving hips to the side before moving them out of the way, i.e. proper weight shift.

As well, double checked a few other possible reasons for the draw such as keeping a square addressing of the ball.

All of the adjustments, such as they were, were rather small, and I am not sure which one, or combination, resulted in the lessening of the hook.

It did not perfect the shots, rather, with a bit of aim adjustment, left me with a good final landing spot of the sphere.  The rest of the day was more or less building muscle and pre-shot thought memory.

It is amazing what 10 minutes of focus and absolute concentration (and, coffee) can do!

Edited by DrMJG

Day 466

Range work this morning, while using just my longer clubs. (Driver-7W) (2 & 3 ironwoods)

Great weather is a good thing. 

This was a distance practice for me. The idea being too swing a little faster than I normally do. Also to keep my balance during those faster swings. I am looking to see if I am capable of gaining a few extra yards off tee'd up balls. All balls hit today were tee'd up.

The goal is hopefully save a stroke or two every so often. 

Focuses were on set up, club face aim, and a balanced, faster club head speed. I also paid attention to my grip strength to help with a good release .

In My Bag:

Day 277:

Lots of putting practice!

In the living room!

While watching Masters!

DAY 512   Wow the range was EMPTY this morning... guess everyone was watching The Masters!!!  I had the DVR set, so I could catch it when I got home.  Spent about 90 minutes on the range working with my 5-6-7 irons, 3 wood and driver.   Still working on the same things.... turning not swaying in my backswing, starting my downswing with my pelvis, and staying in posture!!!   Today was NOT a day where I felt like I was making progress.... though I did hit the driver REALLY well.   Oh well, there is always tomorrow to continue working on getting better. #TigerWoodswins15th!!

Day 277a:

I guess Tiger inspired me to leave the house after the Masters and get in some reals whacks at golfballs, as opposed to carpet putts.

Lately, I have found a good consistency in my golf, both at the range and on the course.

I have a mark on just about every club with a setting of average expected distance for each club; today, every club was almost exactly on the mark. Even the wedges showed good results, and when I went though the various swings with them, I was where I expected them to end up. While I still need to overly concentrate on the direction to target, none were so wildly off that profanity passed my lips.

6i, 7i, 9i were very comfortable. Only one shot with the 9i would have killed off a gopher.  Though, for whatever reason, Got 90% of the distance and it was perfectly on line.  Such low slung shots are getting rarer throughout the bag.

3h, 4h, 5h were primarily straight and good distance.  Had a few pulls and one hook in the group, mainly with the 4h. I changed my aim bit to allow for the pull and was happy with the results.  When using the 5h off the tee, I was getting great loft and distance, even though I was teeing it up quite low compared to my principal driving weapons.

The only iffy club was the 7i/w. It took few shots to get the loft down a bit; I was hitting shots that were dangerous to most birds and that ended up only 75% of projected carry. Making sure I was not opening the club beyond its normal  loft solved the problem for this club, which I have not used in the last 8 rounds. Out of practice, I guess.

My GX-7 regained a consistency in all areas that has, lately, been missing.  Too often, I tend to over hit this club or try to get too cute with what I was trying to do.  I simply was concentrating on letting the club do what it does and behold! the results are really, really good. 170+ on every swing, straight and true. Amazing how that works!

The Ping G5 was even more predictable. 190-200 on every one of the 10 hits. One was a bit off line as it left the tee but recovered well with a nice pull.  Not planned, but the results were good.

This was the latest in my range sessions where I left happy.  This week, I will have a few "welcome to the course" opportunities to make what I am now able to do off turf and tee at the range be similar in results.  Two rounds this week will be me alone, unless I get paired up with someone I do not know.  And, I can ignore strangers. So no pressure except to concentrate and have fun.

It is to not worry about the odd ball weird shot or two; but to put the ball in the hole as best I can.