IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 494.

I'm fortunate to have a great course, that also offers up a pretty good practice area. A place where I can, with a little imagination, practice various golf shots. 

Today it was "uneven lie" day. There is a 3'-4' mound of grass, with a good side slope that allows me to practice side hill, ball below/above my feet lies. Also those straight uphill/ downhill lies. 

Focuses were on ball placement in my stance, both forward and back of normal. Weight distribution, both heel/ball on my feet, and lead/ trail foot in general. Upper torso posture to match the slope. Choking up/down on the club as needed. Club (loft) selection for the distance require. Also aiming of the shot to take care of those side hill lies that tend to curve one way or the other. 

My target on all these shots was my trolley. Being mobile, it allowed me to fit the target to what ever lie I was working with. A 360* degree pattern if you will. Shots were in 30-40 yard range.

My goals were simple enough. Hit the ball the correct distance, while landing it on a line, near my target.

Like putting, I consider uneven lie play, a game with in a game. I see these shots all the time. Sometimes it's just a little uneveness. Other times, it may be a ball on a slope, that requires climbing gear. What ever the degree of the slope, adjustments are required to get better results.

I am sure TST has a thread on dealing with uneven lies. If not, googling "golf uneven lies" will bring up tons of info on these shots. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 212, May 12

Rainy day and Mother’s Day so only some chipping in the basement with lower lofted irons to get lower trajectory. Worked on shorter more delicate chips.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 305

Started out with shot chips (5'-10') to the green for about 45 minutes, with putting after the chip.  Most ended up as 2 stroke totals,1 I chipped in and 2 were 3 strokes due to going very much past the cup.  Putter speed seemed good and I even made a 15' putt which had a very wide break I to the right.

Since I still had some time, decided to take strikes with my 6i and just for the fun of it all, I took my 8i out of the banishment of living alone in the back of my trunk.  I had some very pleasing shots, perhaps because I am still not using the 8i on an everyday practice basis!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Day 464 - May 12, 2019 - Did some alignment checking with some lasers, mostly putter face alignment. I'm good. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 539   Happy Mothers Day to all that are mothers on this thread!!  Had little time today to practice so I brought out my short club and did practice swings in my home office..... and now it looks like a lot of rain for the next couple of days... so my KPlayer will get a lot of work.

Day 11.  Watched my new evolvr lesson (it involves a drill that doesn't hit a ball) and practiced it off and on for an hour.  I wasn't sure I am doing it right, so I took a video and sent it in.  I also spent 20 minutes in my golf room (indoor, mat, into a net, real balls) hitting half shots with my PW and my 9-Iron.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5/12/19:

Day Eighteen:

Played 18 holes today. (Why the hell am I still getting half-whacks?) I played exceptionally well tee-to-green. So well in fact I hit all but 1 green on the front and all but 2 on the back. I didn't make a lot of putts but it was a pretty good day. 4 birdies, 2 bogeys and a 70.  What in the hell is going on? I've played 5 times this year and haven't had a 9-hole score over 39. I think it might be time for another lesson. I'm doing something right.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 495

Pitch, lob, and punch shot practice this morning. 

I was able to claim the 100 +/- yard practice area first thing. I did however, invite a fellow golfer to join my practice. He patiently wanted this area too, and I didn't know how long I would be.

Focuses were on ball positions in my stance for the three shots. Stance width. Grip. Back swing lengths. Also, a smooth transition into the down swing, into the ball, while staying balanced. Hip/torso turn as needed.

My goal was to land all balls, as close as possible, on a line to my target. Hit 42 balls after warm up. 

Obviously, the punch shot was the only shot I needed the 100 yard practice area for. Pitches were up to 30 yards, and the lobs up near 50. 

I will be playing for a score, a little later this morning. 

In My Bag:

Day 213, May 13

Mirror work hitting foam balls at the gym. Focused on more shoulder an hip turn through impact with slow swings for about a half hour.

Scott

My Swing Thread

DAY 540    Got out early to aviod the rain showers.   Spent 90 minutes on the range working on the same thing I have been working on for months!!!  Improving my pivot (rotating versus swaying).... lots of drills, and what I can say, is that my ball striking has been improving.   I am sure tomorrow and tomorrow I will be working on the same set of drills, working to improve the same issue. I did make a small adjustment to my right hand grip which improved my plane taking back... I had gotten my right thumb sightly over to the top of the club to the right which was impacting my ability to have a better shoulder turn. 

Then headed to the putting green ... and as usual started with the Pelz Putting Tutor which provides me with feedback and training on starting the ball on line.  Again made great progress in this area.... Then did one lag putt drill... working on putts from 20-40 feet.

• Administrator

Day 465 - May 13, 2019 - Putting with alignment aids (as a bit of a test).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 305:

After 15 minutes or so with some work on a range, combined with 10 minutes or so of physical warm-ups and the whip, it was time to play a round.

New course for me. 96 over all, 48 both front and back. 4 GIR,  7 FIR, 3 Pars, 6 bogies, the rest double bogies with 6 of them including penalties and 3 sand traps.

Not a great putting day, 38, but the greens read much flatter than they were and I left myself with far too many over 15' after the chip or drive.

Nothing, except the putter, felt off and I think I was too cautious at times.  Will be playing the same coarse on Friday so we will see how that goes.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 24: Putted using the yardstick drill, working on my bead. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

5/13/19:

Day Nineteen:

Weight shift drills with arm swings indoors. It was nasty out today. Hopefully practice outdoors on Wednesday.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 12.  I worked from home today and kept my shoes on, sneaking up to my golf room to hit about 6-7 dozen half shots with my PW (in increments of about a dozen each).  I also had a post-work range session that included SpeedStix, some putting practice, and getting video for evolvr. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to go 5 minutes without thinking about golf.  I had a good round, today, so it is going to be a challenge.  I'll most likely fail.  And I don't care.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Day 496

Fairway work, on the driving range this morning. This is where set up on one side of the driving range, near the perimeter fence. The fence is my slice side. On the other side of my set up, the hook side, I pick out a couple of down range flags, which is the other side of my make shift fairway. My fairway today was probably 30 yards wide. 

Today's focuses were on set up, stance, posture, club face aim, one piece take away, smooth transition from my up swing to my down swing, hips/torso turns as required, while stay in balance during my swing. 

My goal was to keep as many ball flights as possible in my make shift fairway. Shorter club were easy as far as accuracy. As I hit my longer clubs, near misses of my faiway were acceptable. 

After some warm up swings, I went through my bag of clubs from lw to driver. Then driver back down to my lw. Did this rotation twice.  The last 20 balls or so, I mixed up my club selection. I hit one club, one shot at a time.

These were all full swings. I hit balls both off the turf, and a few tee'd up. 

It was a good morning's practice, especially with my irons. On just about every iron swing, I could hear that sweet "click" sound, that was caused by a clean, ball first impact.

I'll be playing for a score later today. 

In My Bag:

Day 214, May 14

Mirror work at they gym hitting foam balls. Worked with 6 iron and driver. First I did 50% swings and focused on my hand path down from A4 to be more out with my right elbow coming more in front of my abs. Then I worked on more hip and shoulder turn with the same hand path to be more open at impact. All 50% effort swings.

Scott

My Swing Thread