IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

5/16/19:

Day Twenty-two:

Hit some balls and played 4 holes was even par through 4 holes. Most of the focus was continuing my seamless weight shift from right side to left. I used to get stuck and would step-through, but now I get over and have a balanced finish. Still perfecting it though.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 15.  I couldn't wait for tomorrow and, shortly after lunch today, snuck up to my golf room to hit 42 (that's how many balls are in the bin at the moment) flighted wedge shots, all with PW.  Real balls, into a net, from a mat, indoors.  I took practice swings first but I realized towards the end I wasn't entirely sure what I was trying to practice with them, so I need to figure out just what that is.  I have some reading in my near future...

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 27: Went to the range for about an hour. Hit ball for half an hour, working on my priority piece of moving just slightly off the back in my backswing. Feel like I'm making some progress with it. Then went and putted for half an hour. Worked on my lag putting for half of that, and then the rest of the time on short putts. I did one of the drills in LSW for 3, 6, and 9 foot putts. I feel really good about making putts inside about 5 feet. From 5-20 feet, I don't make nearly enough. Lag putting was actually pretty good tonight. Doing pretty good with the 10% rule.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 499

Easy swing morning for me this day. I played four, 9 hole rounds already this week. With school getting out, award ceremonies, cheer tryouts,and graduations for Granddaughters, I had plenty to do this past week besides golf. 

I spent time on 50 yard shots, using my AW this morning. I set up 50 yards (gps) from a practice flag pin. The grass at this pin was high enough to limit the roll after the carry. 

Focuses were on the usual practice points. Those being posture, stance, ball position,  club face aim to an intermediate target, an abbreviated one piece take away, a smooth transition into the down swing, and a hip/torso turn as needed. A coordinated swing if you will, into the ball.

The goals were consistent yardages, and grouping at the landing area. Didn't want anything too long, or too short. I was "mostly" successful with the grouping part. This told me I had  consistent swings, impact positions, which gave me consistent ball flights, and yardages. 

I took this grouping idea from when the pros from yesteryear would hit balls to (at) their caddy.  The caddy usually only had to take less than a step, or two to catch the ball in the shag bag they were holding.  

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 309:

Today was about an hour off the tee!.

GX-7, 14º,  senior flex.  I have always had a 3w mind set for this club since it was given to me when I got back into gold.  It took a while to feel I was in consort with it.  Today I was averaged 85-110 ball speed with distances of 180 on average.  I was able to keep the variance from target +/- 5-8%, usually with a draw.  I have been having a problem lately with both this club and my driver with some real pulls.  I have been working with a coach to minimize it.  Not consistent yet.  Nice thing is the hook and push which hasted me on my return to golf has become a rare event.  Today there were none.

Ping G5, 12º, senior flex.  Up to two years ago, I had only uses a persimmon driver.  Well, the gap of 20 years between now and those persimmons explains why.  My current weapon is my first foray into the more "modern" type.  Ball speed was generally between 95-115, distance was between 185-200.  Again, drifted a lot more right than I would have liked.  I was all ok, but work to still do.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 544   Christmas in May!!   My new Ping G410 irons arrived today!!!   Looking forward to putting them in the bag over the weekend.

Now to write about practice, talk'n about practice.   Spent more than 2 hours on the range, working through drills from the book, "Train for Golf Like an Olympian"  Today I focused mostly in positions, working through the six positions mentioned in the book, and exactly the same ones I have been coached on when I took lessons at the Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy.  Going back to these positions drills, tightens up my swing, ..

Then to the putting green, where I spent an inordinate amount of time using the Pelz Putting Tutor for training and getting feedback on my skill in starting the ball on line.   Solid day..

Day 28: Full swing mirror work tonight. Working the feel for keeping my head back a bit on the backswing and more steady on the downswing.

-- Daniel

5/17/19:

Day Twenty-three:

Short game practice today, hit a variety of chips and pitches up to about 50 yards... still needs some work when I get further away from the green, but was happy with most of my results today. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 16.  After work, hit 3.5 dozen flighted shots with my PW;  indoors, off a mat, into a net, real balls.

In the evening, I went to the par-3 course, intending to play 18 holes (par-3) using only flighted shots, but the course was closed.  The practice facility was still open. I ended up spending 20 minutes chipping and pitching (including some shots over a bunker, something I don't practice enough) and 15 minutes putting (all within 15').  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 500

Just some general practice time on the driving range with my "iron bag" this morning. 2-LW, all with brand new grips. There is also a 4W in this bag. 

Used every club in my bag, in no particular order. Used mostly full swings, with some 1/2, and 3/4 back swings thrown in there. Also mixed in a few punch, and lob shots into this practice session. 

Focuses were on the usual stuff. Posture, stance, ball position, club face aim, one piece take away, smooth transition at the top, into my down swing, hip/torso turn into ball impact, and a good follow through. All this while staying in balance during my swing. 

Obviously I didn't focus on all those pieces everytime, for every swing. Just on one or two for each practice swing. When playing for a score, all theses focuses are pretty much automatic, with some being latent parts of my preshot routine. 

The goal was, after selecting a target, and the appropriate club, to send the ball on a line towards that target. Most ball flights were acceptable, although I did pull a few shots. 

Most balls were hit off the turf, with a few tee'd up. I also practiced hitting a few balls out of unrepaired divots, since I see a few those lies when playing for a score.

Just a nice morning, hitting balls. 

In My Bag:

DAY 545   Spent a LOT of time on the range this morning and early afternoon.  Continuing to work on stability in my backswing and getting over to my left side more on my downswing. Also, again worked on the six positions in the swing.  Hit primarily 6 and 7 irons while doing the drills.  Then I hit a few shots with my new clubs....  6 and 7 irons.  I like how they flew and feel.

Then played 9 holes.  Drive, 3 wood, wedge to 4 feet, and a birdie on the opening hole....hit a lot of good shots, but had REAL difficulty staying focused, as it was SLOW out there, and I was tired.    Time for resting. 

Day 218, May 18

worked on my PP with some 50-60% swings. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 17.  Played 18 holes with some friends.  Those flighted shots I was told about two days ago to work on?  I hit 7 shots with that technique today;  four were attempts at GIR and ended up with 2 GIR and a collar with the technique.  Of the three not-for-GIR (but a full swing anyway), I hit the green on two of the three attempts.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 310:

To end this week of practice, a full morning of putting. 

First time around the practice green, putts from 2-4'.  With the exception of one twice around the cup lip, all found the bottom quite readily.

Moved on to 6'.  A few more did not drop on the first smack, but they left only a bare touch to sink after that.  Given the over all results I was happy up to this point.

The putting challenge from 10-12' required a few rounds to get the majority to sink.  Some were the result of too slow speeds and a few were improper reads of the green.  So three rounds at this distance were required to complete the task.

I tried a few 20'++ plus putts, sank few on the first try; they often rested within a possible second putt, though more that a few took a third putt.

Not too bad, and a bit better since the last time I spent three hour on putting.

Ready for my next round tomorrow!

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 29: Working on putting a bit. Working on my stroke itself, just making sure I'm good at address and not accelerating through the ball. Then doing a bit of work on my bead.

-- Daniel

5/18/19:

Day Twenty-four:

Did some chipping and pitching before I played 9 holes this morning. Shot 37. Really doing well keeping the ball in play. I'm not trying to kill the ball, just having a nice rhythm and tempo. Actually played with my blades today. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Day 501

I was going quit this thread at 500. For me it's so repetitive, that it seems like a waste. However, another hundred days probably won't hurt. I will be doing something related to my golf game everyday anyways.

This morning was some early carpet putting practice. This morning's weather is not something I want to go oitdoors, and deal with. 

I started out putting the ball over a penny about a foot, or so in front of the ball. This is my practice drill for rolling straight putts.

Focuses were on finding my line, and stroking the ball on that line. 

My goal was to roll the ball on my chosen line, and hit my target. The target(s) being a few soup cans, laid out on the pergo. What ever works. 

These were all straight, level putts, in the 3' - 6'  foot range. Most were one putts. 

In My Bag: