IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

5/21/19:

Day Twenty-seven:

Hit some pitches and chips this morning before work. Played 9 holes after work. Shot 38. Didn't execute a few shots as well as I could have. But that will come with time. Getting deadly from 130 and in, however. I hit a PW from 125 yards to 8 inches on 3, and an AW from 111 yards on 6 to a foot. 2 birdies, 4 bogeys, 3 pars, 38. Sloppy.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 221, May 21

Played 18 today in a howling wind 25-35 and with a sore neck. Did OK considering it really restricted my backswing. Drives were a B, with some good, some bad. Approach shots were also a B. Longer range shots a C and putting was a C with really slow greens. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 20.  Went to the course during lunch break;  putted for about ten minutes, primarily 10-15' putts.  Went to the short game area with eight balls (used ones in my bag), hit 8 shots with the U-iron, quarter swings.  Then I went under a tree (I had faced this shot last round and didn't know what to do) and tried to find a way to get to a pin 30 yards away.  Ultimately, I did this with a putting motion with my 7-iron.   That was fun.  I finished with some quarter swings with my 56.

I then went to the range, hit some knock down shots (or whatever we're calling them, flighted?) with my 7-iron and PW;  hit some trouble attempts with my 5-iron (less successful;  I'm trying to get a really low one consistently), then did driver plus speed sticks (it had been eight days... gotta do those more often), then some woods and back to irons.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 313:

I was planning on a day just to work on accuracy for the wedges, but the strong winds today shifted the lesson plan.

The day was favorable to work on a real problematic situation.  The wind was blowing  hard right to left, as I encountered it.  When combined with the strong draw/pull I normally have, it was a bit of a challenge.

The goal for me, with my irons and hybrids, was to minimize the loft so that the ball would not end up too wildly off line.

I remember someone, Greg Norman, if my fading memory serves me today, said something along the lines of "in a breeze, swing with ease".  So I backed off about 10 or so percent on my speed (ball speed).  This was done with a combination of not trying to use my usual power fully and even using a 3/4 swing with some clubs.

Next I choked up a bit on the clubs and went down a club to try to eliminate as much spin as possible.  Also, I was putting the ball a little bit back in my stance.

For shots off the tee, I used my GX-7 and gave the driver the day off.  Even took a few off the tee with my 7i/w and 4h. I lowered the tee a tad. Results were more than ok in therms of fighting the wind, but none of the clubs fully left me saying "do this as your first option".

Finally, I adjusted my target  to allow for the wind. 

All in all, I lost 25% or so of my normal loft.  Yes, I lost yardage, but those 15-20 mph wind gusts did a lot less damage in terms of accuracy. My ball ended up as "straight" as I could make it.  And even though more than a few strikes ended up less than ideal, the balls mostly landed in my imaginary fairway.

Ended up a bit more confident on how to deal with the conditions of today.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 32: Did full swing mirror work again. Worked on the same thing as yesterday - keeping my head back in the backswing and in the downswing.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 2:

mirror work checking ball position and set up with the driver. Tuesday’s are my busy days at work so this is all I had time for. I imagine I’ll get some range time tomorrow. 

Day 504. Just a general practice morning session. Out befire the forcasted bad weather hits. 

Hit a little bit of every thing up to 130 yards. 1/2-3/4-and full swings using various clubs.

Target was a large palm tree about 150 yards away. One of those really wide trunk species

Focuses were on club selection, posture, stance, ball position, club face aim, one piece take away, smooth transition at the top into the down swing, hips/torso movement, and hitting through the ball into my follow through. Didn't focus on all these every swing. Just a pick and choose deal. The two most important ones were club face aim, and my take away.

Goal was to land all balls on, or near the line to my targeted palm tree, using retired game balls. Overall, I was quite happy with the results. 

Might play later, weather permiting.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

5/22/19:

Day Twenty-Eight:

5-10 minutes working on foot action and balance with arm swings. Rounding into shape very nicely. I think I'm getting round, it's getting better. Now it's starting to get easier to feel the weight shift.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

DAY 549   For those of you that have been reading my posts, I wanted to share an approach to improvement and practice that I learned about back in 2014.  In reading a thread in a Gambling Forum about improving your golf scores AKA lowering your handicap, the author mentioned an approach that had worked in enabling a guy to significantly reduce his handicap in one year and win "most improved golfer" in one year.  The guy went from a 36 HCP to a 6.2!!! In one year!!

Over the next several weeks, I will be trying out this approach, but it starts with putting, and earning the right to add more elements.  The training regimen is divided into 2 week segments (Called A and B).  The difference in them is simply the number of reps and distances you use.

It starts like this:  

Putting:  Make 25 in a row from three feet.  When you have done that you earn the right to move to 20 feet from the hole, and you have to get 20 putts in a row into a 3 foot circle around the hole (6 feet diameter), when you complete that successfully you move back to 30 feet and have to get 20 putts in a row into this 3 foot circle.  When you have done that successfully you move back to 45 feet where you have to make 20 in a row into this 3 foot circle. 

Then you can chip,  from 20-30 feet off the green you have to get 8/10 within the same 3 foot circle..... and it continues on.

Each day you start with putting and earn your way to chipping, then bunker play, then ..... you can not move to the next segment until you are successful with the first.

So today I started with putting by making 25 in a row from three feet, and 20 in a row inside the three foot circle from 20, 30 and 45 feet.  It took about 90 minutes.  I missed one time making 25 in a row from three feet -- at number 23!!   And it took me 3 times to be successful at 45 feet... thank goodness each of the times is was in the initial 5 attempts.  I was hoping to move onto chipping, unfortunately the practice green became very busy...   

15 minutes ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

DAY 549   For those of you that have been reading my posts, I wanted to share an approach to improvement and practice that I learned about back in 2014.  In reading a thread in a Gambling Forum about improving your golf scores AKA lowering your handicap, the author mentioned an approach that had worked in enabling a guy to significantly reduce his handicap in one year and win "most improved golfer" in one year.  The guy went from a 36 HCP to a 6.2!!! In one year!!

Over the next several weeks, I will be trying out this approach, but it starts with putting, and earning the right to add more elements.  The training regimen is divided into 2 week segments (Called A and B).  The difference in them is simply the number of reps and distances you use.

It starts like this:  

Putting:  Make 25 in a row from three feet.  When you have done that you earn the right to move to 20 feet from the hole, and you have to get 20 putts in a row into a 3 foot circle around the hole (6 feet diameter), when you complete that successfully you move back to 30 feet and have to get 20 putts in a row into this 3 foot circle.  When you have done that successfully you move back to 45 feet where you have to make 20 in a row into this 3 foot circle. 

Then you can chip,  from 20-30 feet off the green you have to get 8/10 within the same 3 foot circle..... and it continues on.

Each day you start with putting and earn your way to chipping, then bunker play, then ..... you can not move to the next segment until you are successful with the first.

So today I started with putting by making 25 in a row from three feet, and 20 in a row inside the three foot circle from 20, 30 and 45 feet.  It took about 90 minutes.  I missed one time making 25 in a row from three feet -- at number 23!!   And it took me 3 times to be successful at 45 feet... thank goodness each of the times is was in the initial 5 attempts.  I was hoping to move onto chipping, unfortunately the practice green became very busy...   

I have a low handicap, but I would never get past the 3' putts...

• Informative 1

Day 314:

Day got tightly scheduled at the last minute so I was limited greatly in what I could accomplish.

As with most days, I spent time working on weight shifting.  I then got out of the shower, I added foot movement and hip turn.  This work is SO automatic, I hesitate to include it in my 5 minutes, lest there is a complaint about a cut and paste.

When dressed and at the range.  I finished my warm-up procedure with a few knee bends and 20 swings with the ever available Orange Whip®.

I had time for about 25 swings at a round object with my driver.

In short, it felt good. Range ball distance showed about 190. However, eyeball showed it landing and rolling to a green that is listed as 220.  

Accuracy towards the target was only OK. There was a lot less wind interference than yesterday.  Still, I need to work a  bit more on the draw.  

Most of the time I like the draw, a few times it is a mild annoyance and a few times it is quite bothersome.  Usually, it is between 5º-10º offline.  But the 6th wack today was such a pull, one might consider it an un-signaled left turn. (OK, it was more like 15º off and well out of my imagined fairway.  One a few courses I play it would have been OB)

While I do have a tendency to draw, only the driver is the one that gives me the most grief.  This will be the subject with my coach on Friday.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 3: 

Full Swing work today at the range with a 6 iron. 3 ball drill. 3 balls working on positions and feels. 3 balls full swing/full speed. Pretty good day today...crazy windy out there!

Day 33: More full swing mirror work today. Working on moving my weight a bit further back away from my left heel in the backswing, and slightly, very slightly, away from the ball.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 21.  I left work a little early today to make sure I'd have time to do a full practice routine before my social engagement.  I started with putting, 6' breaking putts.  I then did a bit of chipping, just plain 20 yarders with my sand wedge.  I then spent an hour at the range with a small (30 ball) bucket, focusing on shoulder angle (latest evolvr piece) and also hitting partial shots with 7-iron on down, and full swings with the 5 and 6 irons.  Only the Elin deck was available, so I couldn't use my driver, 4W, or hybrids.  

I then did a bit more putting, mostly inside 10', before heading out to my Wednesday evening plans.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 4: 

Spent about 15 minutes on the practice green this morning. Mainly worked on lag putts. Greens were wet from watering so the vast majority of my misses (outside 10% of start distance) were left short. All in all I putted fairly well. 

Day 505. Spent time this am on uneven lies. 

Focuses were on ball positions, weight distribution on my feet, club face aim, club selection, torso matching the slope, staying in balance during the swing, and probably a few more things I do subconsciously. 

Not all uneven lies require me to do what I listed above. Just the more pronounced ones

My goal was send the ball the proper distance, to my target. 

After several minutes working on these different sloping ball lies, I worked a little bit on my putting. 3'-5' ranges. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 223, May 23

Easy mirror swings today because my neck is still a bit sore. Stinks getting old. Focused on hip and shoulder turn from the top through impact. Max 50% swings.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave