IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Shindig, were you 70-80 feet from the pin on every green you hit in regulation?!  

More importantly, where are you able to chart your strokes gained (driving, approach, around the green)?  I have an online calculator to determine my strokes gained (lost) in putting, but have not been able to find a calculator for the other strokes gained metrics.

No, I just putted really poorly;  I was like 60+ feet on the first GIR, then maybe 35 feet on second GIR, then tap-in, then 20 feet (two putted), then 12 feet (left the birdie putt less than a foot short).  I track strokes gained via Game Golf.  I highly encourage you to check out threads on that topic and get such a device (click the link on the left side to see my stats, or the game link in my post from today).  They're really cool.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 535. Range work this morning, using my metal woods, and irons bag. 

Focuses were on a distant target, preshot routine, set up, intermediate target club face aim, ball position, and 1/2, 3/4, and full swings.

Goal was to land each ball on, or near the target line that ran to the 250 yard flag pin.

Hit various shots, such as punch, flops, longer pitches, and my normal full swing shots. 

Just an easy morning golf work out in cooler weather.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 254, June 23

Light day. Just some pitching in the yard.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 355:

Today's grouping was the hybrids 3h, 4h, and 5h. They are 19º, 23º, and 25º.

Started out with about 15 swings with the Orange Whip® to get out a few kinks from a busy week of golf activities.

I did 10 balls with each.

3h was only off the deck.  I have really worked to plant a good set-up and swing.  Loft is much better, but not overly high.  Quick rise at the MOI but rarely gets above 20'.  Distance was an average of 165 and range off the line was about 5 yards either way.  No pull hooks was the major joy.

4h was also only off the deck.  Much more loft with a good average distance of 145. Had one pull hook, but that was the result of a poor swing by me.  I felt it coming mid-swing but I have not mastered the act of stopping mid-swing.  Other than that weird one, the looked good.

5h was again, my inconsistent one off the turf.  If there was a better loft than last time on the course.  Most had a strong height with a nice roll.  Even the ones that were a danger to gophers got an ok distance of about 125.  140 was the "non deadly"  average.  It was the deviation from line that needs work. I mostly hooked and even with simply aiming to cover for it, I was not happy. 

I took a few extra swats with the 5h off a low tee. They were about the same in distance but a bit nicer in alignment and loft.

I may take the same grouping tomorrow to try to maintain a better consistency.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 580    Spent 45 minutes on the range working on my backswing and initiation of the downswing.... LOTS of work to do on the latter!!  The went out to play 18.   I played the first 6 holes in one over par.  However, my left wrist started aching so bad I could hardly hold on to the club... so I was 15 over for the last 12 holes.   Now icing the wrist and taking some Advil,  in hopes it is an anomaly, and I am better tomorrow.

Day 52.  Played 18 with my club.  Why our tournament director had us play the tips I don't know.  Had fun anyway, didn't score well.  Will upload from game golf later. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 53.  After losing more than seven strokes putting in my last two rounds, I decided I need to do more putting practice, and focused practice.

I had a late start at my office today, so I stopped at a course near me to use their putting green.  I played the "killer" putting game: 

for my first 5 minutes.  I sank my first 3-footer, missed a 6', made a 6', made a 9', made a 12' (where was this putting the last two days when it would have counted?), missed three 15' (there we go), made a 15', made an 18', then missed two 21'.  So, 18'.  I'm going to track my progress with this game and see how it goes.

I then attempted an around-the-world from 4'.  I just went around the clock for ten minutes.  I never made more than four in a row.  And I know I missed plenty of this distance the past two days.  So, that's the next focus too.  I need to look up how to track around the worlds, and then I need to start doing so.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 536. Played 18 holes this morning. 40/42, with 31 putts. 

Thinking I missed three makable putts inside 8 feet. No worries. There is always the next round...

In My Bag:

Day 255, June 24

Played a crappy round today. I had real trouble off the tee for some reason and got myself into a lot of trouble. Fixed it too late though. Shot a 95.

Scott

My Swing Thread

DAY 581   I worked on short chips and pitches up to 45 yards today.. for 6 plus hours!!!  I know it sounds insane, but I have to fix this problem I have been having with the YIPS... made a LOT of progress today, feeling way more comfortable with technique, balance and tension.   Spent time working on technique than hitting to targets, then back to technique, then hitting to targets, ....   hopefully all the work today will pay off  tomorrow.  And all the work on the short game did NOT hurt my wrist, ... yeah!!  Icing and resting.

Day 356:

Following up after yesterday, I spent 25 minutes with the 5h.

I got a better line, even with the hook often found in hybrid shots.  No more than about 7 yards off line.  Distance was good as were most lofts.  Made a lot of mental note as well as some written notes to implant this on my old brain.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 537. Worked on forced carries this morning. From 10 to 40 yards from the front edge of the carry portion. 

The carry portion was a bunker, with a 4' foot high burm behind it. Maybe 5 yards total. 

My target was a practice flag/pin about 5 yards past the carry portion. It was located just past the rear down slope of the burm. 

Focuses were on club selection, set up, club face aim, and length of back swing. 

Goal was to carry the bunker, the burm, and land the ball on the down slope, to allow the ball to roll/bounce to the flag pin. 

A few balls didn't carry the hazard(s). Those balls rolled back into the bunker. They became bunker practice shots, off of firm, sun baked sand, that also needed to clear the burm to get to the flag pin. A high, and short shot shot requirement.

I hit 70 balls off some what soft lies during this practice time. The grass could of used a cutting, but was not too bad. The thin lies in the bunker were not much a problem. Most courses water their bunkers around here....lol

In My Bag:

Day 256, June 25

Mirror work at the gym focusing on hip turn through impact.

Scott

My Swing Thread

DAY 582  Practiced for 45 minutes, working on staying in posture, then played 18 holes, then practiced chips and pitches for 30 minutes, then played 8 more holes!!  My wrist held up with no pain. 

In the first round, I hit 12 GIR, only got up and down 1/6 times.  GRRRR...  after all the practice yesterday, the good news is that I did not blade or chunk any of those 6 opportunities....  just did not get the ball close enough for any ups and downs.

The next short round of 8 holes, was more of the same, in this case, I only missed 1 green, and again did not get up and down from 30 yards.   Again this shot was just not close enough, ... my second shot put me in a tough position, pin high with a tucked pin with a high mound guarding it in the front.  Got it to 10 feet, and just did not convert.  

Day 357:

We began a series of days not conductive to the most healthy conditions for us older golfers.  While my conditions are not difficult in terms of breathing, the climbing heat is not good.  By this weekend, we could hit 112º-115º. So, if I don't tee it up by 7:30 or so, I might not.

But, today was not set for a round.  I spent all of the practice with my 50º wedge taking 30 strikes.  The goal was to hit at a number of targets to work on distance and direction with a nod or two towards loft.

The long full shots at 110+ yards  were a great start.  The "+" comes from the post landing roll.  And today, with the exception of a rare try, they were fairly spot on in terms of direction.  While I was hitting full shots, I worked very hard to not tense up and try to overpower the shot.  That is always a problem for me with all 3 wedges.

Less full shots seemed to give up only distance, though it was harder to be consistent in how far I cold expect.  This was a major fault with the wedges in my last round. This needs greater focus.

I do not have a round until next week.  And given the conditions until then, an early morning range set will be just fine to shore things up a little more.

Tomorrow I will work on the 56º.