IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 269, July 9

Mirror work at the gym focusing on hip turn through impact with the feel of the left hip continuing to turn.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DAY 596   I think I am going to go stir crazy... stuck indoors again since there is so much rain. Even when it stops I do not know if the courses will be open... yesterday, my home course was cart path only, after yesterday and today's rain I can not imagine them letting anybody on the course.

So back to working on my swing in my home office and in the garage.   In the home office taking short swings with the shortened 7 iron working on positions and in the garage standing on two balance discs (one under each foot) working on stability.  I am confident this off ball work will help when it dries out!! 

Day 68.  Putting drills, around the world (poorly), then six lives/killer (sank an 18' on one of the iterations).   Then range work, including getting video for evolvr.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 270, July 10

Mirror work at the gym focusing on hip turn through impact. Worked on the feel of the left hip and shoulder continuing to turn. Rehearsed to A7 then did slow swings to A9 with hips pointing to target. Trying to reduce a bit of early extension.

Scott

My Swing Thread

DAY 597   Spent well over two hours working on chipping and pitching.... lots of work on technique and testing.  An example of testing was to throw 9 balls around the green, and see how many I could get up and down.  Anytime it was more than 50% I was a winner, and less, I had to do it over again.   Used 52 degree wedge, Pitching Wedge and 7 iron from various locations.    Then I headed out to the course to play a quick nine holes.   Since we have had so much rain, it was cart path only on all holes.  Felt like my ball striking was not up to par, but I was a lot better at short wedges and chips. :-) 

Day 368

Today was only 113º, though I now have an indoor program of physical activities but, even with concentration it is rather boring.  

I admit the lower body concentration in both the set and follow through is solid.  I have videoed the routine and it looks good. And, no I will not post the videos as I usually do them right after showering and the world is not ready to see me in various levels of undress.  Even my wife feels comfortable in making snide comments.

If I get up early enough tomorrow, I will try to serif these exercises make a difference at the range.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 69.  Around the world from 4', twice, 10/12 both times.  Then killer/six lives, made the longest at 6' the first time (literally lost six in a row from 9') and then the second time (different angle, of course) made it to 12' with three remaining before not making from 15'.  Of course, as soon as I had my sixth miss, I tried again from 15' and made two in a row. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

DAY 598    Rain, rain ... go away.  Woke up to rain this morning.. and dark clouds and scattered thunderstorms have continued throughout the day.  So working in my home office with my shortened 7 iron and the Impact Ball.  I noticed when I played yesterday that my thoracic spine was not turning... it is stiff..... so today I am working to stretch that out.   Slow swings, and holding the top of my backswing for 2 seconds, repeat and repeat.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better in the afternoon when I have a lesson and hope to practice OUTSIDE!! 

Day 271, July 11

Mirror work at the gym. Got rained out of gold league. Focused on hip turn through impact and keeping spine angle, while rotating left hip.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 70.  Club tournament/outing.  I think my group won (it was a group format), but on my ball I shot a 77, my first time ever breaking 80 (previous best was an 81).  So I need to go claim that award... :-) 

Today's personal bests equaled or beat:

* Lowest score, 18 holes regulation.  Previous: 81 ;  today 77.

* Birdies in a round, 18 holes regulation.  Previous:  3;  today 3.

* Greens in regulation, 18 holes regulation.  Previous: 10 (I think), today: 11.  GG doesn't tell me today's is a record, so maybe I'm off on it, I can check.

2689553_6VI15IzI.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Only two sixes, one on a par-5 after a great chip and the other on my only double bogey of the day.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 369

Another very warm day, hit 116º at my home. Thank goodness of PowerAde®, water, and air con!!!

Putting for about 30 minutes or so followed by work on the upper body to made sure the club follows through correctly.  My vide4eo looked good; I now need to work on this outdoors to add the element of speed to the drills.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 370

I did get up early (6:30 AM) enough to use a shady area at home for about 45 minutes.

15 minutes physical activities from knee bends, toe touches, moving side to side with still legs and a club behind the back, holding a club in front with arms out and moving legs and hips. (I did these indoors with the air conditioning aiding.)

15 minutes using the Orange Whip® and primarily concentrating on the motion of the body and a good swing plane.

15 minutes working on full swing with cotton golf balls and a target net.

Was 92º at finish. Went in and kept moving around the house for 10 minutes or so to cool don followed by a shower.

When it hits 90º before 8 AM, a round is out of the question for me if I don't want my doctor hollering at me!

Edited by DrMJG

DAY 599   Had a lesson today on both my full swing and chipping.   Used BodiTrak on the full swing .. and still need to get more weight on the left side at impact.  Will be doing three drills coming week to work on improving this.  So I will be doing that.  

Day 71.  You'd think after yesterday I'd want to go right back out and play some more.  Nope (although I did some extra putting last night after posting, plus Speed Stix).  I had plenty of things I needed to do today, and within that found five minutes to do the medicine ball drill from LSW.

-- Michael | My swing! 

DAY 600    This will be my final post in this thread.   THANKS to Erik for initiating the idea of 5 Minutes of Practice A Day, and to the many posters whose practice sessions I have learned from and enjoyed.  I will be checking in on TST regularly to participate in other discussions,

As for my practice session today... I felt good about the progress I made on my technique.  I spent a couple of hours working around the green on my chipping and short pitches.  I had a tendency for too much movement of my left wrist (in the wrong way :-) )  So I gripped down on a pitching wedge so my right hand was barely on the grip... and leaned the shaft so the rest of the grip above my left hand was touching my forearm.  This grip insured I moved my left hand/wrist in the proper manner.  Now that my shaft was in this position, I had to hit chips and NOT let the shaft leave its position from touching my forearm.   ALSO, I put another golf ball about 8-10 inches behind the ball I was hitting so that I did not hit it either on the backswing or forward swing.  This helped my angle of attack.    I did this drill and hit some shots for almost two hours.  I ended by hitting pitch shots from 20 yards and had 6/10 within 3 feet of the hole.  So this new drill is really helping.  MOST important this change in technique is helping me eliminate The Yips which I have fought for a couple of years.

I also spent a couple of hours, hitting 7 irons working a couple of drills helping me get more pressure/weight on my left side sooner, so that if you measured it with Bodi-Trak, I would have 80% plus of my pressure under the left foot at impact.   This focus is a direct result of the feedback I got from Bodi-Trak yesterday during my lesson.

Thanks again for those that have been reading my posts, and sending me notes, .... I wish ALL of you continued improvement and lower scores.

• Like 1

Day 371

Due to the very very high heat predicted for the day, I got to the range when it opened for those with a card to operate the ball set up at 7:15.

Started out with 10 minutes physical warm-ups and 10 swipes with the Orange Whip®.

Hit a total of 35 shots with only 3 clubs.

15 with my 50º as a combination warm-up and first club. Good distance and direction was ok though a bit inconstant.

10 with my 7i, best over all work in some time. No complaints.

10 with my 4h. Over all, I was very happy about how it seemed as if, at lest for today, that I mastered the weapon! (Humility will return next time I play the damned club on the course, I fear to say, LOL. 😂)

Day 272, July 12

Light day. Just some pitching and chipping work. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

DAY 600    This will be my final post in this thread.   

Why?

Day 72.  25 putt attempts across the ruler (drill from LSW).  Made 22. And, more importantly, recorded it.  I'm now in the habit of recording my putter drills, my speed sticks, and my gym work.  I should start recording other things too.

-- Michael | My swing!