IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 16

I did like a dozen 5 minute sessions today. Most of them were position work for take-a-ways and positions during my transition. 

I also rolled the ball down the metal yardstick. (I say yardstick, but it is actually 48 inches long.) I'm getting pretty good at that. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 468

Started  off well with my 50º.  Good everything.  But after the third swing with my 5h, I pulled a muscle in my back and it brought the day to a halt before I really got going.  Home to rest and bathe in Tiger Balm.  Until tomorrow then!

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 157.  Yesterday, 10/8, was my first miss in almost two months.

Today I putted for 15 minutes, 10-15' and a few 6' (plus finishing any misses).  Real balls, night putting at a nearby course, did so after a break at work and before dinner. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 469

In order to not stress out my back too much, I spent 15 minutes hitting light chips in my yard. Got nice soft chips of 5 to 15 feet.  I focused on loft and roll.  Will take to a practice green tomorrow.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 17

I cant wait to go to the range all this static work and putting down rulers is making me crazy. 

I've also been studying my swing on film. Fortunately, I have a lot of video over a bunch of years, both when playing well and when playing horrid. 

I really want to go hit balls. This tailbone injury is a real pain in the ass. 

Day 158.  Despite a busy work and social schedule today, I managed to find 15 minutes to putt.  It was mostly 9-15 footers, but I did a few 3-6 footers too.  Why didn't I have this much time to putt when I was playing tournaments more regularly?

(the answer is because I was too busy doing things that long-term would improve my scoring, i.e. my full swing)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 470

Finally! No back pain!

So I decided to concentrate only on my short(er) game: 9i, 60º, 56º 50º plus chips at green side.

The reason I stated with my 60º is that with focus on loft shots, I knew I would be using s shorter swing that would not sully stress on my back. The 5 lofts were what they should be, high loft, on target and minimal roll. I was off to a good start.

My 56º was not too good at first. Let's just say it was really sloppy.  So I took time to sit and think of what I was doing. It ended up that I was not really swinging through the ball, and I was playing that ball too far back. So I moved on to the 50º and 9i.

They were good.  In fact, no complaints at all. The 9i in particular gave the loft need to have minimal roll even at distances greater that 120 yards.  The 50º was good as well.  I tend to want a bit of after roll from that club.  I was very happy with that.

So back to the 56º for 10 more whacks.  The adjustment I thought through worked well. 

I finished with 5 from the tee with my driver. Settled in well.  One mis- hit a bit too far left, but others were very good.

Day 18,

Indoor putting!  3 and 6 foot putting circles. Was relatively easy after rolling the ball down a ruler for a week. Then goofed around with putting contests vs the young man who works at the indoor range. 

Day 159.  One of these days I'll get back to the range.  Tonight I only had about 10 minutes, but I used them for putts of 4-6' that broke.  This was partially decided by seeing which hole on the putting green was open . 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 19.

Still injured... should I stop mentioning that now. So, I spent time with the putter working on distance control. That was kind of fun. I did a drill I learned from Dave Pelz years ago. 

I also did some additional stretching. Trying to help my tailbone not hurt like the Dickens. 

Day 160.  Was going to play today, but there's a big ol' fire near the course we were going to play.  My friends went anyway.  

I got some work done (in hopes of having free time during the week... yeah right) for work and, after dinner, went to a range nearby.  Range balls, off grass, working on the weight shift priority piece. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

I pitch balls in the yard to a target everyday. The target is a must. This routine keeps me in shape until I get to the real  golf course. I'm hell bent on playing good shots and love golf. I recommend this daily routine to anyone. shofey.

Day 20

I came up with a great new inspiration today. My kids were playing with hulu-hoops. So I waited until they were done then set them out in the yard as targets. Hit wedges to hulu-hoops set at 10, 15 and 20 yards. 

Kinda cool. Plus I think I can move that drill indoors when the weather gets ugly. Maybe put the hoops at 5, 10 and 15 feet?

Day 471

The practicing yesterday, which was the overall best in months, so I was ready for today.

Had time to play 9. Mainly Par 4, with 2 Par 5 and only one Par 3.  

My drives are where I noticed a solid from the last time.  I gained ~ 7  yard improvement on my drives with good loft and sold direction.  I was often well in position to go for a par of birdie. It was primarily with my 4h and 7i were, that I saw the most improvement in direction.

I hit my only penalty of the day into water with when I pitched with my 56º, hit a cart path causing the ball to roll right into water’s edge.

Final score was 40. Solid round; best round in fact for me at this course.

Plans are for an round of 18 this week and a round of 9.

Day 161.  The day got away from me, but as I set down to bed, I am doing the 10 minute stretching exercises I got from Urban Golf seminar a few weeks ago.  In hotel room, with a stretchy band. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 472

Wonderful day in terms of weather and work.

73º and a light breeze. Decided to work with the driver.

20 hits with a focus on line and distance. I was most pleased that all went straight with a very nice draw.

Lately I have noticed a great increase in speed; I have been whacking between 110 and 120 for the most part.  Given my weapon (Ping G5 120º with offset) and my old body, this has been about 20 mph over the last month or so.

To be honest, I do not think too much of this when I tee off.  When done I will note an average or so.

Now I need to continue to adjust. With the new speed, I need to work to increase the distance and roll.  I have been stuck at 175-190 in flight and another 20-25 on bounce and roll. This is hitting the range balls.

Using non-range balls for a round yesterday, I even got a drive of 240 in flight.  Yes, it was an outlier, but it brought a big smile to my face.

Thus ends mu catechism for today.

Day 162.  My usual "it's late but I need to practice" at this point... 10 minutes putting.  6-8 footers with some break.   Outdoors on a putting green that is half being repaired (I putted on the good half).

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 472

10 minutes with my Orange Whip® was all the time I could take away from my ovely too full schedula. Tomorrows mostly free day so I will pack in a fuller day.