IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 5: still sticking with my primary focus of getting to a good position at the top but today I added on of the weight forward drills (placing a second ball about my foot length behind the ball and slightly closer to me). 

I had an aha moment watching video of my practice. It seemed I was getting to a good position at the top (I think) but this still caused me to have a severe over the top that had been going away. I noticed that my first move is forward and down towards the ball and I started focusing more on making that first move feel balanced and fully towards the target while keeping my head behind the ball. I practiced some more swings without the second ball. The result was some of the best swings I’ve seen without my head going down and very close to on plane. I think I am close to being able to post a progress video in my swing thread. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 12: Did day 22 drill from 30-day covid challenge related to stance and posture.  Then hit a few different clubs trying to incorporate the feel of that posture.  Playing 18 tomorrow.  Should be an interesting round trying to play with a stance that feels so different.  But i have some confidence after a pretty consistent session hitting balls into the net.

Day 57.  Got my priority piece from Evolvr!  It involved a drill at the wall and some very slow backswings -- like 5s was desired, and I'm trying to slow it down that much.  I spent 30 minutes on that today, might have hit a total of 10 balls in that time.  Indoors, off a mat, into a net, real balls.  But most of it was backswing with a club or at a wall without so much as a club. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 5: 15 mins half swings with a 7I, trying to focus on weight forward, especially on downswing.  I have an in-built habit of lurching onto my back foot... which I'm trying to reprogram.  I found my low point control was difficult, and my brain worries about hitting the ground at all, which contributes to the weight forward problem.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Day 24

Hotel room swing drills and stretching. 

Multiple sets of cross arm, driver drill, day 1 of covid drill & throw the ball drill.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Day 55

Played 9 holes at Lake Calhoun Country Club.

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: XR-16 Driver 10.5° :callaway: Epic Flash 3W, Big Bertha Steelhead 5W

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

Day 248

More of the same stuff from the previous two days, but starting to speed up more at the end of the session.

Did a superspeed workout. Been doing superspeed training since early March. Driver swing speed on Mevo is averaging around 112 mph now which is a good gain from when I started (guess is 105-108 mph), but not sure if that is due to superspeed workouts or swing improvements. Anyways, moving on to protocol 3 next week.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 6: I spent an hour on the range today focusing on nothing other than my main piece of getting to the top properly. The result was the best contact I have made in ages. I am feeling really good about my progress and am going to stay with it this time. Small incremental improvements make a huge difference and I need to remember that. 

This place has been so helpful to me. Truly the best site and members anywhere on the Internet. 

Day 13:  Played 18 holes today.  Had a very average day scoring, but had a good day in terms of ball striking.  All day, I only had one true mishit, and just a couple more less than great strikes.  But a huge improvement for me.  Also, this might be the first 18 holes ive ever played without losing a ball.  That might not be true, but certainly in recent memory it is.  Just keeping the ball in play is huge.  Problem is, just because it was in play, doesn't necessarily mean it went where it needed to go.  Most of the time it was close enough, but 3 or 4 "close enough" shots on a hole, is a bogey or double bogey.  And I don't have the short game or lag putting needed to make up all those partial strokes.  Not complaining, I've literally spent zero days working on chipping and lag putting.  Just being realistic about where my game is currently.  Pleased with today's effort.  Consistency breeds confidence.  If I can start turning those double bogeys into bogeys, and some of the bogeys into pars, I'm going to be right where I want to be by the end of the year.

2945373_AcUoXO7I.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Day 249

Did some swing mapping focusing on not rolling right arm over left.

A little pitching/chipping practice, and indoor putting. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

Day 231 - August 15, 2020

Played 18 holes at Downing with @NatalieB. four birdies, but none for the birdie composite away course birdie challenge. All duplicates.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 24

Hotel room swing drills and stretching. 

Multiple sets of cross arm, driver drill, day 1 of covid drill & throw the ball drill.

Day 25

I did the day 2 of the COVID 30 day plan in my hotel room.  Great drills 

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Day 56

Mirror work with a focus on not swaying too much during the swing. 

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: XR-16 Driver 10.5° :callaway: Epic Flash 3W, Big Bertha Steelhead 5W

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

Day 58.  Today brought about thirty minutes of total practice time, including a clubless wall drill from Evolvr, some slow swings (I'm supposed to really slow down my backswing but I don't think I'm hitting as slow as the instructor said in the video), and then I went out back for Speed Sticks.  I ended up with >100mph on the red one, so that's nice.  

For the Speed Sticks, I didn't consciously go for the same thing I'm going for on full swing practice with a club -- not sure if I should be thinking that when swinging them or not.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.