IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 191

This morning I was early enough to practice area to get to use the 100 yard swing area. This area is usually being used by others when I arrive. 

Hit 28 full shots to a pin. Since the landing area is thick grass these were 100 yard carry shots, with no roll out. I was hitting off turf that was two days old from being mowed. Not a fairway lie, but a decent, semi rough lie. 

Focus was on alignment, and landing the ball on the side hill next to the pin. I aimed at this area for two reasons. One, because on the course the ball would bounce/roll to the pin. Two, was because about 20' feet left of that landing area is a concrete drainage ditch, that made for a good OB area. I needed to hit balls will decent, usable dispersions. (B-)

After that, I moved,  and just goofed around with various chips, and pitches near the practice green. No real focus other than aiming at various pins on the practice green. Hit another 28 balls doing this, trying to get he balls near the pins. Some of my pitches were of the "no wrist hinge" variety. I really like this shot for pitches up to 30 yards (B)

I also spent a little time hitting chip shots, using the method we discussed in the "A New Way To Chip" thread. It was a bit awkward at first, but after few balls, I could see the merits for someone using this  method. It does work. I will revisit it from time to time. Not interested in changing to it right now. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 25, July 11

AimPoint class refresher with Erik and Dave W. Corrected a few things I was off on. Had fun!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 70: 

Spent nearly an hour at the range today. Started with working on partial wedges. Hit different wedges to different targets and compared trajectories and swing length to distance with each club. Good practice, and I feel is becoming a strength in my game. Moved on to full wedges working on alignment and watched ball flight. Filmed some full PWs for my swing thread. My misses were a little fat today, so I focused a bit on steady head and it did the trick. Must have been swaying off the ball. 

Day 7

Ended up with a mediocre day after the warm ups.  Perhaps a bit stiff from 4 days of activity which had a minimum of 100+ shots at the range.  Direction was good though yardage was only so so.  Usually on line with a few pushes right.  So not as solid as the previous days.  Perhaps should have done a lighter workout today.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 232   Yeah... back at home!!   Spent 15 minutes working in my home office with my Impact Ball and shortened club.   Looks like I will not be able to get outside until Friday morning.   The Impact Ball has been so helpful in that it keeps my arms connected, and also helps with my pivot.

• Administrator

Day 158 - July 11, 2018 - Putted for AimPoint classes today in the Boston area. Hit some balls on the range, too, to test out the groin.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 40.  If Erik were a drinker, I think I'd owe him a beer, because I don't think I'd practice quite as much if not for this challenge.  And I don't think I'd have game-planned today's round quite the same if not for the no-sixes challenge (which I didn't meet today).  In any case, I shot an 85 today, which included missing two putts from so short I'm kicking myself still, one on the first hole, and despite hitting three bad poor drives (one was just a bad drive, the other two are part of a pattern I'm thinking I should reconsider how I aim to play those holes)... oh, and the 85 is worth a 13.0 differential, and my best-ever handicap index as a 13.0.

Strokes lost category/my round/15hcp number : Driving: 3.25 v 3.29 ; Approach: 5.6 v 7.48 ; Short game: 0.32 v 2.38 (includes a chip-in for birdie on a hole where my season average is over bogey);  Putting 3.62 v 3.48 (my only category today worse than a 15 hcp).

Here's the GG link: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Shindig/round/2278317

More details in the relevant threads later.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 16 July 11, 2018

I worked on chipping today. I would pick a target and chip to the target with a low trajectory with roll and then a higher trajectory with less roll. I also took some full swings with the foam golf balls at home. 

Day 192 Out early to beat the heat. 

This morning's practice was a little bit of everything for my short game. Just about anything I could think of up to 60, or so yards. 

Abreviated swings, flops, pitches, chips, and putts. Uneven lies, good lies, and no so good lies. Hitting over a hazard was also involved.

The only focus was to hit the shot at hand, and get the ball close to my target. Every shot had a target that was not necessarily the cup.

This morning's practice involved more walking than normal, since I kept moving around more for the   different shots. I didn't hit the same shot more than once or twice in a row. I would hit a couple of putts, then hit a a flop shot at a pin 30-40 yards away. Then hit a shot off an uneven lie.  Then a pitch to a spot that put me with in chipping range of the green. Just stuff like that. 

Another plus was that I was the only one using the short game practice area, which allowed me to move around so much. 

I wouldn't say this is a great way to practice. However, it is a good way to break up the monotony of doing the same old routines, which can lead to complacency. This daily "5 minute....." can breed complacency if one is not careful. 

I probably hit 60+/- balls, using various clubs. I was satisfied with the time spent when I was done.  

In My Bag:

day 8

Took a quasi day off to re-group after the mediocre day of yesterday.  Did a lot of my stretching which is designed to focus on golf actions, as I have for the past week, followed by half and full shots with the wedge.  Felt good and a lot more relaxed.  Remainder of my time was spend on a treadmill to keep the leg muscles more involved

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 26, July 12

Played 18 with @iacas at Nashawtuc CC (pronounced Nah-Shaw-tuc) in Concord, MA. Even injured he can out drive me by 50 yards. :-P He helped me a lot with some swing items including alignment. Had a blast.

In return, I taught him how to pronounce the names of the towns and cities in Massachusetts. It seemed to baffle him and Dave W. that Peabody is pronounced, "Pee-badee" and Worcester is "Woohstah".:-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 233   Outside at last!!!  After another day of preparing to move... I got outside after dinner time for an 1 1/4 hours to work on my putting.  Did a drill I started last week and completed it in a little over an hour.   When I did this first a couple of weeks ago, I was not able to complete it in 2 hours.  So progress. :-)

• Make 23 in a row from 3 feet
  • From 20 feet get 20 putts in a row inside a 3 foot circle around the hole.
  • From  30 feet get 20 putts in a row inside a 3 foot circle around the hole.
  • From 45 feet get 20 putts in a row inside a 3 foot circle around the hole.

Day 41.  I went to a putting green for 15 minutes, working on putts from 4', 6' and 10'.  I also spent one minute hitting six 1' putts, because it felt like I missed some very short ones yesterday and that was therapeutic.  That solves the amount of time to spend on 1' putts this decade.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Day 159 - July 12, 2018 - http://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/2280057

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 17 July 12, 2018

I worked on chipping again today. Same drill as before making 2 chips shots to each target. One shot being low with roll to the target and the other shot being higher without as much roll. 

On 7/11/2018 at 8:18 AM, Lihu said:

Morning weight after full hydration: 190.1 HR 60 BP 118/78

More speed training with my club simulator. 10 reps with 25 warmup/stretching swings. Testing out a new prototype of my club simulator. Got it to 88mph this morning in resistance mode. 115 in over speed mode.

Hiked 5.5 miles 47 floors yesterday evening with my wife.

Arghh, pulled a shoulder muscle trying to get the super speed stick speed maxed. 😫

Did some hip rotations and light stretches.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Day 193

Worked with my lob wedge today. I was hitting pitches with it, using a no wrist cock swing. Think of a one piece take away, but starting the forward swing before the wrists would cock in a normal back swing. Couple that with a body turn to the target. 

Focus was on making sure my hands were leading the club face into impact, to prevent a scooping like impact position. My hands leading the club head, would put more spin on the ball, causing it check up better. That, and I was using the club's designed loft. I think this particular club has a 62* loft. (?) This club and swing combo give me a shorter 10-12 yard pitch shot when needed. Hit 42 balls. (B-)

After that I stroked putts on a freshly, manicured, fast green. I like fast greens, as they fit my putter's weight, and my stroke. Par was 36, and I had 31 putts, with 5 one putts. All first putts we're in the 10-15 foot range. (A)

Air is still a bit muggy, due to the higher humidity. Afternoon thunderstorms, with heavy rain cells are in today's forecast. 

In My Bag: