IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

DAY 254  Finished the Putting Assessment today.  Next week on to the chipping/pitching assessment.  Here are my results.

Long Putting 97/100 putts within the 3 foot circle from distances ranging from 15-42 feet.   PASS

Short Putts -- 120/160 putts made (75%  Goal was 70%) PASS

• 40/40 putts made from 3 feet (100% Goal is 100%)  Pass
  • 37/40 putts made from 6 feet (92.5% Goal is 80%)  Pass
  • 31/40 putts made from 9 feet (77.5% Goal is 60%) Pass
  • 13/40 putts made from 12 feet (32% Goal is 40%) Fail

What I learned -- I found it hard to stay focused today as I finished the 9 foot putts, and completed the 12 foot putts.  When I broke it up into just doing 40 putts in a day.. my focus could stay at a high level... when I went to 70 putts on this last day... I just did not have it.  AND about 50% of my misses were balls that were on line and short of the hole!!!  Which is my predominate miss.

Now that the assessment is complete, and I will do it again in 3 months.  I now will be doing a daily one hour putting program for 4-5 days a week... with a two part focus.   Putts in the 9-12 foot range for 30 minutes, and longer putts for 30 minutes 3 of the 4 days.  And one day devoted specifically to retaining and improving my stroke mechanics to insure I can consistently start the ball on line, and also improve my aiming skills.

I am building a four hour a day training regimen.   One hour on putting, one hour on chipping/pitching/bunker play, one hour on distance wedges 30-100 yards, and one hour on full swing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 61.  Did you know Jason Day's career low round on the PGA Tour was a 61?  I'm glad I looked that up today.  While doing laundry, I spent 20 minutes in my practice room hitting pitch shots:  half and quarter shots with the gap and sand wedge.  For obvious reasons, I could only go by starting line and angle and feel off the clubface, not actual trajectory.  I hit a little more than 40 shots for each combination (10 quarter sand wedges, 10 half sand wedges, etc).  There are still some shots I need to see trajectory on, so I am likely heading to the outdoor range later today.  It figures that I finally get my short game and putting to my handicap level (from glaring weakness) and I hit the "one week until tournament" threshold and have to do more short game practice. :-(  And you know in two weeks I'll be telling my students not to cram for exams too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

IDay 214

Another 18 holes in the books. (81) That's 90 holes in 4 days, while averaging 4.51 strokes per hole. 

Pretty happy with my golf stamina, in spite of the late night poker, and other shannanigans that took place the past few days. 

A good time was had by all. Breaking camp in the morning, early. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 10

Hit balls at the range. Practiced 50 yard pitch shots. Hit chip shots with LW and GW.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator

Day 181 - August 3, 2018 - Caddied for a player and snuck in enough putts to count. My player (over 36 holes) made the cut. One guy in a cart tried to screw up my ClicGear, but we fixed it again easily at home (and now it's dead straight, too).

Good day in the end.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 5.

Rained all day today so I decided to practice some putting indoors by trying to not accelerate the putter on the downswing.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Day 61 part 2.  Went to a nearby course for some practice.  The shots I hit indoors earlier today (into a net), I attempted to hit outdoors at the pitching area.  Felt the same, trajectory looked nice, distance was as expected (within the tolerances of me at least).  Hit the range, and as I think I'm more or less down on my latest evolvr lesson, I want to keep reinforcing it.  I sent in video but won't make any changes since I am now within that one-week period before a big tournament!  I also went to the putting green to work on 6' and 9' putts, focusing on placement of right second finger (as per Erik's recent thread on the topic) and putting at least feels more comfortable now.  I also enjoy seeing putts go in at these distances, as I have vastly improved in that respect this summer.  It's no longer a glaring weakness, but I also have a big tournament coming up... in a little over a week I will return to 65/20/15.  Practice round coming up tomorrow.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 6.

Spent a few minutes this morning working on not crossing the line at A4 by shortening my backswing.  I tried getting my hands higher and it seemed to work.  Want to see it on video, though, before committing to it.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Day 215

Out early this morning for a quick few holes. Just me, a few balls, and my trusty 7W. Basically just went for a walk, while hitting balls. The 7W doubles as a decent putter. 

Didn't stick to the course layout. Just located a flag in the distance, and played to it. Call it "cross country golf" I suppose. Just goofing off with no focuses what so ever. Played 8, or 9 holes. Some twice.

When done, the caretaker was getting stuff ready to open. Told him what I did, and offered to pay. He just laughed and sent me on my way.  After a money changing hand shake, I left him to do his chores.  

Had a fun few days with friends. Now some of us are off to an ocean beach  some where. Time to get out of this desert heat. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

Day 47, Aug 4

pitching in my yard off hard pan spots for about 20 minutes. These shots can be difficult, so I need to practice them. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 30 (Wow, 30 straight Days!)

No rounds scheduled until Monday, so I focused on only 4 clubs: my Driver and 3W from the tee and my 50 & 56 wedges.

It was one of the best days ever off of the tee, took about 25 shots and with the exception of one real screaming yellow zinger, I would have been happy playing any of the shot.  I realize that may be all of my good driver strokes for the month of August, but it felt so good.  Really focused on my hip turn and shifting weight as I started down stroke.

My gap wedge was solid, but my 56 still slices to the right.  I am working through set up and making sure of my follow through.  If anyone has sure fire suggestions (or at least something to try) let me know.  Frustrating to have this one club in the bag when it does not play well with others!  BTW, this is only for shots from 30 - 50 yards out.  My lobs, while not as high as Phil's are more that acceptable.  

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 255   Got into a good rhythm today.   Spent 1 hour on the putting green.  The first 30 minutes working on making 10 in a row from 3, 4, and 5 feet.  Set up the tees so there were 5 around the hole, then hit two putts from each, if I made them, I moved to the next tee, if not, back to the very beginning.   The last 30 minutes worked on a distance control game from 20 feet.

Headed to the range and worked on my full swing for an hour using the drills I was assigned earlier in the week.   Then played 9 holes.   Shooting 37 which is one over par... finished with a birdie on the 9th hole so it was a nice way to end the round.   Then headed to the range for another hour working exclusively on wedges from 50-65 yards.

• Administrator

Day 182 - August 4, 2018 - Putted while watching Tiger Woods suck at Firestone, somehow, for the first time. Ugh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 11

Shot even par 72 in my final Elite Am Golf Tour event of the season.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/coachjimsc/round/2320876

Guess the extra practice is paying off. 😀

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Day 62.  Played earlier today, 18 holes at home course, shot an 85 (ESC 84)... somehow, only two GIRs, but had 8 pars.  Will post GameGolf link and analysis tomorrow (just got home, guests in town for rest of weekend, etc).  Short summary:  alternated between "I don't know how to play golf anymore" and "that practice is paying off" and "wtf happened there?"

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 216

Just a few minutes swinging my Kallassy Swing Magic club this morning. I woke up a little sore from my previous week's rounds of golf. 98 +/- holes in 4 days

Did 10 reps of 15 swings, moving from a slow to a faster pace during the reps. Probably took 15 - 20 minutes. 

I expect do some more swings with this practice club on, and off today. No actual ball striking planned for a day or two. My clubs looked tired, and I figured they needed some time off. The e7s are raring to go however.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

DAY 256    Spent time on the putting green....  I think I have found a Short Putt Improvement plan that will be my "Go-to" for quite a while.   I set up tees at 5 points around the hole at 3 feet.  I putt 2 balls at each tee, if I make both of them, I move the next tee, ... in total I have to make 10 putts in a row total.  If I miss I start back at the beginning.  Then move the tees to 4 feet, and make 10 in a row, then 5 feet and finally today 6 feet.   The goal is to not only do that from 3, 4, 5, and 6 feet, but progress to 8 and 10 feet.

Then spent a hour plus in the full swing practice area... working on the drills I was assigned earlier in the week to improve my swing.

Day 31

20 minute routine today focused on my 4 and 5 hybrids and shots off the surface.  Made sure I was aligned properly allowing the club to do the work.  Nice over all, getting more comfortable with them is a goal as, for now, I am not using a 3i (don't have one).  With swing in a good place for now, I am now really taking care to notice distance for each of my clubs.  (doing this with taking notes on each club as I use it.)

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).