5,668 posts / 286995 viewsLast Reply

Day 290

A little too windy to play, but the direction of the wind allowed for some knock down shot practice. I used my 5i, and 5w. 

I use a full swing with this shot, but I also swing slower than my normal full swing speed. I found out a long time ago not to try to out muscle the wind. The wind will win every time. Slower swings, while letting my club selection take care of the distance needed, takes alot of grief out of this shot. I also play the ball a little bit back in my stance, and I don't have a high follow through. Both help to keep the ball lower, as does the slower swing.. 

The knock down a good shot to have in one's bag. Especially when a punch shot won't get the job done. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 7: Mirror work again. Working on address to A2, trying to not shoot my hands inside too fast. A2 to A4 is about getting steeper. Think I'm making some decent progress. Excited to get this on video this weekend.

Day 291 

Just finished hitting various types of shots this morning, in preparation for a 9:00 am tee time. A few each of full swings,  abbreviated swings, and slower swings, with various clubs. Also, some pitches and chips. No where is it written, one should not hit pitches or chips while on the driving range. 

I will warm up my putter on the first couple of holes. 

I have always thought that the only important shots in a golfer's bag are the ones the golfer practices. If you don't practice a shot, you can't depend on it when playing for a score. 

Day 101:

Good morning reviewing Top Track info and working on a mental checklist before drives to minimize hooks or undesired right turns.  Grip. position of ball to foot, feet to each other, stance, head stillness and allowing for freedom of hips and shoulders.  I can now do it in a fairly fast checklist and relaxed manner. I am accepting of few fewer yards now in favor of more on line drives. Needs continual practice.

Day 34: 

Putting practice today. My speed control has gotten away from me a little bit lately so I did the "Pull Back" game. I shot +10 or 46 putts. I know that LSW says that 36 is. great score, so I am wondering how 46 putts stacks up for a 20 capper. Its a hard game for sure. Hit a couple of 40+ foot putts to inside (or at) 5 feet only to have a 7 or 8 foot putt for par lol.... 

DAY 329    Visits, and visitors today!!   So little time for practice.  So I spent 5-10 minutes in my home office with my shortened 5 iron.   I had the club shortened a little more than 6 years ago, when I needed a shortened club for indoor practice.  I purchased the club when it was full size for $5 from a bin in the golf shop at the Arnold Palmer course at The Villages,   They shortened the shaft and re-gripped the club.. for $10 more.  It is probably the best investment I have ever made for a training aid.

Day 42.  15 pitches after tonight's TNF.  Each was much better than the game, but that isn't saying much.  Seriously, though, I hit a few that felt flush.

Day 35: 

Bad day at the range. Shank City. Little deflated, but I am sure its something stupid. About 30 minutes at the range today. 

Day 292

Played 18 this morning at the local muni. Nice course for the area. My effort was good enough for an 82, which is two shots above my target score.

I can honestly say I gave away 3 strokes on the putting green, but 30 putts is also a good number. Then again, a 79 is a much better number

Rummaging throug an old box of golf stuff, I found one of my old golf data/score cards  that I copied some 25+ years ago. It basically tells me after entering some info, per hole, for a 9/18 hole round(s) where I need the most work on my game. Even helps to identify what clubs I hit well, or those clubs I need to work more with. Data today said I was weak off the tee, which is no surprise. . 

DAY 330   Rise and Grind.... I was on the range by 8 a.m. for a couple of hours, working on impact position and staying more over the ball rather than swaying on the backswing.   Then spent an hour with my coach, who reinforced what I have been working on and suggested 6 different drills than I had been using so I could have some variety to my practice.   While I am hitting the ball better, I can see how much better I can hit it as I progress.    

Day 10, October 19

Played 9 today and shot a 39 on a par 35. Drove the ball well. I made a small change in my wrist at A4 with less flattening and it seemed to help a lot.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.