IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

DAY 552   If you are not bored now, you will be!!   Spent 2 hours today on the putting green working through the regular drills.  25 in a row from 3 feet, then 20 in a row into a three foot circle around the hole, from 20, 30 and 45 feet.  I struggled a little today with both 30 and 45 feet, ..hitting through the circle, but not 4 feet from the hole.  The key to success for these four drills for me, is focus.  My mind will wander when I am working on the green for 2 hours... all it takes is 2-10 seconds of your mind wandering when you are setting up and over the ball, and .... you have to start all over again since you missed your target.

Was heading to the short game area, when I had an opportunity to play 9 holes.   So I played the front nine, hitting 7/9 GIR, made 1 birdie and a couple of bogies.  Both bogies were as a result of my pitch shots on greens that I missed, not getting close enough to the hole to make the putts... each was at least outside 15 feet.  Not good, BUT, I did not chunk or blade them, just poor distance control.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Day 477 - May 25, 2019 - Did all I could in the hotel here: putted down the hallway. It breaks pretty hard to the left, though, so distance putts the length of the hallway were not possible.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 36: Went to the range and worked on my priority piece of shifting my weight a little more in the backswing. Then worked on short putting for about 10 minutes. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 24.  Played Fourball with partner.  We won and are onto the finals for our club's fourball championship :-) 

As for my round, some of the high scores I can blame on "it's fourball and I did something risky because it made sense at the time."

2606596_VQli7ltw.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Some, I cannot.

At some point, I wonder if some of the conventional wisdom about how match play shots to decide is different from stroke play applies to my flight.  Maybe I should employ my strategy for a typical stroke play round during the upcoming match play tournament. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 507. Just some carpet putting this morning. (25 minutes or so) Busy, no golf day in front of me.

Normal focuses, and goals. Those being to hit a straight putt, on a line, to my target. 

Did the rolling the ball over a dime, 18" in front of the ball practice routine. This to make sure I was rolling straight putts. 

After that, an unopened can of peas served as a 5' foot target. What ever works. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 553      Rinse and Repeat.   Started the day on the putting green, ...   made 25 in a row from 3 feet, then 20 in a row inside the three foot circle around the hole from 20, 30 and 45 feet.   Then spent 2 hours hitting 15 to 40 yard pitch shots into the elevated chipping/pitching green.  Still focusing on technique and some distance control.   Finished off by trying to hit into a chipping net set out at 68 yards ... on the practice range.  After 40 attempts and not one time holing out... after a total of 4 hours and 15 minutes of practice time, I was done for the day.

5/26/19:

Day 32:

As I'm still getting used to the distance I'm hitting my irons. I went and borrowed a friend's launch monitor and got my distances down. I hit 10 shots keeping the middle 8 with each iron/wedge and this is what I found.

4-iron: 203

5-iron: 187

6-iron: 176

7-iron: 162

8-iron: 149

9-iron: 136

PW: 122

AW: 107

SW: 89

I'm still flipping at impact just a touch. But I'm working on that and getting more forward shaft lean. I believe I can get at least 1 club longer if not more, with some in-line impact work.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 7:

yesterday was day 6 but a missed day...cause my wife had our third child!! Today all I got in was some work on set up position...5 minutes or so.

Day 25.  After getting back from a memorial day barbecue, I used my practice room hitting some iron shots.  I also hit some left-handed sand wedge shots (borrowed a friend's left handed sand wedge) at quarter swings.  I had trouble making contact, but I think there's some benefit in trying left handed shots on an occasion more than "oh crud, I need a left handed shot here" on the course moments.

I also did some medicine ball swings as per driving-at-home from LSW ;  I did from both sides, not sure if I"m supposed to.  There's a video on the book's site, I am going to go check.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 226, May 26

Easy swings today. Neck is still sore but getting better. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 37: Went to the driving range with my wife and son. Spent about 15 minutes working on long game stuff - working on my weight shift a bit. Also putted for about 5 minutes. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Day 478 - May 26, 2019 - Backswing work in a mirror after I got home from the Senior PGA.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 318:

As there were reasons why I cold not get out to course or range, today consisted of at home work.

1: 20 minutes of work on weight shift and foot movement both with and without swinging either my orange weight or a club.  Really get good and I was able to move hips fairly well, including picking up a modicum of speed.

2:  I videoed myself working with my shoulder movement.  Seemed good with making sure shoulder movement was neither shifting nor not moving in ways that would interfere with the shot.  Again, looked good.

3: Keeping head (and whole body) from raising up.  It has become clear that every so often I have done it and caused fat shots.  While it occurs only every now and then, I still, as a true amateur, need to remind myself of this as part of my checklist.

We shall see tomorrow how this plays out. 

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 508. More carpet putting this am. Not much open area where I am right now. Plus, the nearest golf course is 45 miles away.

As always with my putting practice, my focus was on rolling a straight putt over a dime about 18" inches in front of the ball. Hitting that coin shows I am rolling a straight putt.

Other focuses were on set up, ball position, and length of back stroke.

All putts are straight putts, that are rolled on a straight line, to a target, that may, or may not be the hole.  

After warming up with the coin putts, my goal was to hit the 2-1/2" (+/-) inch target with the ball. Length of putts varied up to 6' feet. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 554   Too HOT!!!   So I stayed at home today, after a late morning walk, I spent time in the garage with my balance discs, and shortened club.  Lots of slow swings while standing on two balance discs, to help with being more centered and not swaying on by backswing or lunging on my downswing.  Then followed with lots of fast backswings.   The other thing I like about these drills is that they help me rotate around my spine, I can feel my thoracic spine doing a better job of rotating and "separating" from my lumbar spine.

Day 227, May 27

Another light day. Neck is almost better, so just some pitch and chip work.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 320:

A good range day.

Wedges were a tad more on line.  I combined a bit of intentional aiming to the right with not trying to hit the wedges with more than was needed to hit the intended target.

My 5h was the next on this limited range visit.  Although I really shanked one and topped another, the results were OK.  I was better off of the turf than the tee.  Range, loft and direction were good.  Again played the natural pull of hybrids with good, but not perfect results.

Time to continue the progress off of the tee.

The GX-7 as about 95-100 ball speed, good loft (though one was a space shot) with an average distance of 190.  Direction was good, though I still get a tad more pull than I would like.  I did hit a wild slice, or so I thought, until I check and saw that, in truth, I aimed it that way. Yikes

Ping G5 driver continued to hold consistent. 115-120 ball speed with 220 yard averages and fairly solid accuracy.  

One somewhat humorous event.  The slice also made me catch something.  About 40 yards yards out, to my right, was a club, which looked like a driver, in the middle of the range.  Now, I know you really had a ad day, when you chuck your club away at a driving range.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 26.  Played 18 with some friends.  My changes I tried to make to my driver setup still produce a few more hooks (which tells me I might be doing it wrong) but, despite two stinker drives, still averaged 205 driving -- better than I used to, and I'm sure it'll improve as I'm not hitting into as many weird spots.  Incidentally, missed the 15 hcp  mark driving today at 0.03, hit everything else under 15 hcp level -- despite chunking a 75 yard pitch (one of my favorite distances) and three-putting twice (I also made two longish putts, including a 20-footer, which had to have helped).

Shot 87 despite only 3 GIR and only eight near-GIR.  Made my first sand save of the season at #12.  And I had four times hitting a green with a half swing (sadly, all were attempts to get up and down, and one was after chunking a 75-yard GIR attempt). 

Gamegolf link:  

2609938_3jn1rGEt.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Overall, lots of cause for optimism today. 

-- Michael | My swing!