IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

DAY 577   Practicing putting for about 10 minutes, working on distance control and adapting to relatively fast greens (Stimp 11).  Then played 18 holes.   I played from the Senior Tees (5500 yards).  I rarely play from these tees, however, the people I was paired with wanted to play from them.  So why not.  I shot 73 one over par, with a bogey on the final hole GRRRR!!!  The playing conditions were very windy...and the course had a lot of blind drives... thank heavens for the yardage book or I might still be out there looking for my balls in the rough!!  Now some work in front of the mirror to prepare for another round tomorrow.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 49.  Match play round today.  Lost 1 DN to a friend in the club.  It was a good battle, with him getting to 2 UP, then I fought back to 2 UP, then he got back to 2 UP, then I got the match squared at 17, then he won the 18th with a great par.   Good sign of progress:  driver average today was 206 yards, up from my previous averages under 200.  I also think I got my entire summer's worth of bad shots out of the way today ;-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 62: Went to the range and worked on my full swing for about 40 minutes. Checked the video, and it looked pretty good. Need to keep my head a bit more steady in transition, but good other than that. Then worked on my putting for about an hour. Worked on lag putting for most of it, and finished up with a little short putting.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 252, June 21

Finally able to get outside. Worked on hip turn through impact with 7 iron and Driver. Then worked on set up and alignment. Finished with 3/4 PW.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 12: 

Spent 5 minutes or so hitting lag putts on lunch break. Was going so some drills, but they had to water the green lol. 

Day 533. Played my home course this morning. 40/40, & 29 putts. 

Played very consistently through the 18 holes. No real bad shots to speak of, but no really good ones to brag about either. 3 one putts for par were pretty nice though. 

I played with a visitor, who shot a 34/36 (70). It was pleasure watching him play. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 353:

After 25 ball warm up, which went quite well, especially driver and 7i, I was off to a full 18 holes

5500 yards, 65.30/111, Par 72, Played forward tees.

My results: 91 HCP 17, Net 74, 2 Par, 13 Bogies, 3 DB, 4 Penalty strokes, 33 Putts, 3 GIR, 9 FIR

A good round, I felt,  on a course that was totally new to me.  The course layout was good for my Draw/Pull stroke and even the more strong pulls did not really come into play.  Biggest thing, for me today, was playing the course well, based on club selection. I needed to go back a club as I approached the 125 mark to the green.  I often went beyond the green by a lot.  My chips continue to need to get a bit more loft so they do not run as much.

I am still adjusting to how much further my e12 ball flies compared to the usual play of the range balls.  In combination with that aspect, I more, then once (that is, many a shot), needed to not try to muscle the swats.  This was a result, I am sure, of a wrong measures to the green.  I forgot to take my phone with me on the course, so I did not have a GPS reading or a range finder read, as I do not own one.

91 is at the lower end of my usual round, so I am happy.  I suspect it will get well under 90 as I play this course more often.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

DAY 578    Invested almost 90 minutes working on my chipping using the Paul Runyan approach.  Chipping with a 7 iron.  Ended the session by chipping twice to five different holes, and then putting out.  I was able to make 7 out of 10 up and downs.  

Wanted to play some golf today, however, due to a lot of rain over night, the golf course was closed for play as was the range.  Talking with the General Manager, he said this is the first time in 5 years they have closed the course for an entire day, .... rain, rain, .. go away.

Day 63: 

2641020_VDiI1Ung.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Also worked on my long game and putting for a while after the round.

-- Daniel

Day 50.  Long day at work, kept my eye on the clock to make sure I'd have time to do some practice at home.  I spent about 20 minutes on full swings with my 6-iron (indoors, into a net, off a mat, real balls), SLOWLY.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get better in my head about the bad shots I hit yesterday. ;-)  Focus was on my priority piece, pressure/weight related, and on continuing to swing slowly.  I'll admit I still have trouble getting the downswing to be slow. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 534. Just a little chipping/putting practice earlier this morning.

Focuses were green reads for both shots. Landing area for the chips. Setup, and club face aim on my chosen line, while using an intermediate target. . 

Both my chipping, and putting strokes are identical to each other. 

Goal was to hole out in two strokes or less. 1 chip, and 1 putt.

I did however, have a few 2 putts. My initial chip shot didn't keep the ball on the second tier a few times. Probably should have flopped those shots up on to the green 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 253, June 22

Played a par 3 with my wife. 6 pars, 2 bogeys and one dumb double. 4 GIR, 2 up and downs with one of them a sand save. My wife had 3 pars too!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 51.  Had a great day ball striking during today's 18:  only lost 5.7 shots on long game (3.05 driving, 2.65 approach).  Had a shot with my putter for par on every hole today (two were from the fringe).  16 GIR + near GIR;  the two that weren't were hitting two bad 4-woods in a row for shots 2 & 3 on a par-5, followed by punching a 7-iron 60 yards to the front of the green from under a tree in the poorly maintained rough, and hitting a bad drive into the trees, hitting a great low hook out with a 5-iron to have 60 yards left, then running a shot up from there to the fringe.  

Oh, but I still shot 90.  Lost 3.81 short game and 7.76 putting.  Finally, more evidence I suck at putting!

But I did make a birdie:  long par-5 12th, good drive, good 4-wood second, flighted a 7-iron to the middle of the green, which is where the pin happened to be.  I had a one foot putt for birdie (which I made, in case you're wondering).

Here's the GG record: 

2641986_FbvEVq5I.png

-- Michael | My swing! 

33 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Day 51.  Had a great day ball striking during today's 18:  only lost 5.7 shots on long game (3.05 driving, 2.65 approach).  Had a shot with my putter for par on every hole today (two were from the fringe).  16 GIR + near GIR;  the two that weren't were hitting two bad 4-woods in a row for shots 2 & 3 on a par-5, followed by punching a 7-iron 60 yards to the front of the green from under a tree in the poorly maintained rough, and hitting a bad drive into the trees, hitting a great low hook out with a 5-iron to have 60 yards left, then running a shot up from there to the fringe.  

Oh, but I still shot 90.  Lost 3.81 short game and 7.76 putting.  Finally, more evidence I suck at putting!

But I did make a birdie:  long par-5 12th, good drive, good 4-wood second, flighted a 7-iron to the middle of the green, which is where the pin happened to be.  I had a one foot putt for birdie (which I made, in case you're wondering).

Here's the GG record: 

2641986_FbvEVq5I.png

Shindig, were you 70-80 feet from the pin on every green you hit in regulation?!  

More importantly, where are you able to chart your strokes gained (driving, approach, around the green)?  I have an online calculator to determine my strokes gained (lost) in putting, but have not been able to find a calculator for the other strokes gained metrics.

DAY 579   Spent 20 minutes on the range trying to implement what I have been working on indoors, which is more rotation and less swaying on the backswing.  Some progress but way more to go.

Then went out and shot even par for the front nine.   Hit 6/9 GIR got up/down 2/3 times, I have been using the Paul Runyan method for the short chips when I miss the green, ... worked on it yesterday for over an hour... and it paid off today.    Stopped after 9 since it was wet, windy, rainy and cold... I had fought the elements enough on the front nine, and did not see enjoying doing so on the back nine.

Day 354:

After two fairly good rounds, today was a day to see if I am able to do things a bit better with a group of my clubs.  I only hit my 6i, 7i, and 9i.  

The goals were two fold: a much more predictable and usable loft as well as a better line in the shot.

All performed better than they did on the last round, with the exception of a push -to-hook a few times.  

The 9i was the best, the 6i was the least good until I had warmed up a bit more.

However...

I have got to stop trying to wallop the shots. If I just make a solid swing I tend to be on a good distance, good loft and acceptable line.  

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 65: Played a match today. Went 22 holes, but unfortunately, didn't pull it out. 

Probably going to take a break from golf for a couple of days. I'm not in a good head space on the course right now. Need a few days of not thinking about golf. So this is going to be my last post in here for a bit.

-- Daniel