IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 128.  Small bucket range session (30 balls, range, off of grass), wondering if I should take video and send it in to evolvr and also where is my camera.  Worked on 8-iron, 6-iron, and woods.  Did also my first SpeedStix session in about two weeks (oops).  Stopped halfway through it, went to putt (4' drill, took 22 putts to drain 12 from around the clock, not consecutively, no round under 50% make rate), then went back to finish the SpeedStix and the bucket.  Pitched a dozen before hitting the range (off grass, but not onto a rolled green). 

On a sadder note, I packed up my indoor practice room today;  it will be unpacked in about two months. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 22

Spent about ten minutes making slow swings with the weighted club.  I really focused on my takeaway and release.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Day 331, Sept 10

Play 18 at my friends club. We almost had the course to ourselves. Beautiful day too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 34: Full swing mirror work. Working on the feel for my little move off the ball, along with softer wrists in transition.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 2

Played 9, not for score but just to focus on my grip and setup.  Noticed a huge difference from the past where I was letting it rest in my palm.  Still have a long way to go.  

Day 23

Spent another ten minutes with the weighted club.  Slow and steady takeaway and release.

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Day. 422

Another day of working with all 3 of my hybrids.

4h and 5h were spectacular and predictable with range, direction and loft.  My coach was very pleased with all of the aspects of the play with all the work on those two.

The 3h was another beast.  He videoed my work and found nothing really off. Perhaps a little of this and that would make a difference. Perhaps.

The bottom line is that a 3h is the most difficult to hit of the hybrids, at least the hybrids in my bag. And, I am not losing enough yardage between my 4h and the 3h, if a goes well.  Rather than looking for a 3h to match the other hybrids in my bag, I would be better off to get a 7 wood as the basic replacement.  

Result, tomorrow will be to put the 3h into a "suspended from my bag" status and return the 7i/w that I have. Or to look for a true 7 metal.

He also suggested I experiment with various 1/2 and 3/4 swings with the 4h.  The goal, he said was 2-3 strokes/round on longer holes.

So I will go this way for now.

Onward, upward, Excelsior! 

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 129.  An hour of putting:  4' "make all twelve at some point" drill, then from 6', then from 4' again, then played around a bit hitting 30' for speed and 15' to make sure I get them to the hole (I made 2 out of 12, which was awesome).   Real green, real balls on that green. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 332, Sept 11

Mirror work at the gym. Focused on not letting wrists roll over through impact. Had some hooks with the driver yesterday.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 3

Spent time working on the "bump and run" on the practice green today.  Never realized how attainable this shot was.  Still have to work on the speed of shots as I was running over the green about half the time.  

Day 130.  Played 18 holes with friends.  I think I put too much pressure on myself at this course, as my last two rounds were disappointing mid-80s rounds... which I should be excited about.  But it's the course where I first (and so far, only time) broke 80, so I mentally keep comparing how I'm doing to how I did that far into that round.

Also not helping today:  playing the four par-5s as 8-6-6-5, including a lost ball penalty.  I also had a lost ball off the tee at the par-3 3rd.   Despite two lost ball penalties, I still had my approach shots under the 15 handicap benchmark on strokes gained.   In fact, every benchmark for today's round was under the 15 handicap level... including putting, where I had nearly the 10 handicap level ... with three missed short putts (3', 4', 5').  I guess that putting practice helped.  I lost 5.42 on approach, but that includes 4 strokes lost due to penalties, so I evidently hit it really good except those two times I didn't. :-) 

Here's the round if anyone wants to check it out.  The two birdies were at holes I had never birdied on this course before (I never even parred #9 before to my knowledge, although technically I still haven't).

2759906_QM8DNYjF.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 423

Only a bit of time available to me today

Took 15 well though out 60º shots to a green about 40 yards away. I did have fairly spot on aim today and with the height of the loft, I was often leaving myself a 6' putt or less to follow up.

I even rimmed two and left them fewer that 8" away.

Too bad my schedule allowed no work with my other wedges.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 24

More slow and steady practice with the weighted club.  Getting my takeaway grooved like an LP.

Day 35: Went to the range tonight for a bit of practice. Worked on long game - my feels, and hitting 3 wood off the deck, for about 45 minutes. Then went did a little bit of putting, working mostly on short putts. Didn't get too much out of that with the greens being aerated.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 4

Played the front 9 this morning with my focus being on creating a consistent pre-shot routine and not letting the bad shots get to me.  Ended up playing my best game yet, pared back to back holes.  Have a titleist Thursday fitting tonight so should get a little more time in then as well.  

Day 131.  Yesterday reminded me that while my putting emergency has been mitigated, I need to get back to good practice habits.  I hit a small bucket at lunch today (30 range balls, off a mat, outdoors), focusing on the weight shift of my priority piece.  Still got it, but still hooking some too.  Putted a bit too but wasn't able to set up a drill. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 333, Sept 12

Mirror work at the gym and later some range and short game work. At the range, focused on keeping my wrists from rolling over through impact. Followed with chip and pitches from different lies.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 424

Following some advice from my coach, I put the 3h into club purgatory and took out the 7i/w I have not used for some time.

As well, I took more time to think of the club as a 7w with a position to be used when I would have used a 3h.

It took close to 15 shots for me to believe I got a nice feel back.  It was a while before I got good lift from the club; I was closing down way too much.  Slowly I got ti back to go with the fairly good line.  I also tended to grip too hard and it was a wee before I relaxed to let the club do the work.

It will be a while before it finds a full time role in my bag of weapons.  We shall see.

Edited by DrMJG