IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 487

Got a bit of physical routine practice in today to make sure I fully rotate.

It was 5 minutes here and there between other requirements for the day.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 38

Worked on my own today. No lesson with my coach. Today was working on swing path and face angel. Basically took them all to extremes with a 7 iron. The idea being if you can "feel" either extreme you should be able to "feel" the middle when you need to.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 0.  I neglected to post yesterday, although I had done the practice.  This takes me off the challenge, as I missed posting three days in the past 30.  I'm not going to be able to today;  I thought moving into a new house, the first thing I'd set up was my indoor practice room, but I haven't.  Yet.

I'm posting to acknowledge I missed.  I got to 178 days with I think 5-6 misses, total, across that range (not included in the 178, obviously).  I'm very happy with that, especially since I lived in a hotel for over a month in that range. 

Keep up the good practicing, everyone;  I'll re-join you soon!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 39

Today I took my son to the range. So no serious work on the game. I just beat balls, mostly with the driver. It was fun. Sometimes you just gotta go to the range and do what 90% of the folks are doing there. Which is mindlessly hitting balls. 

Day 488

It is amazing how seemingly small adjustments are able to present big results.

With my irons 7i, 6i and 9i, I have been drifting left. So today I worked on three minor adjustments.

1) Made sure I had the ball properly spaced in terms if distance from he body and between feet.  And I worked to make sure I can get that position 95% of the time.

2) Made sure I addressed the ball in a position to allow me to be much more likely to hit the sweet spot of the club.  This includes making sure I am not overly out of good positioning for the loft of the club.

3) Making sure I have a good hip turn with solid follow through towards the target.

Looked and felt good in terms of results.  All irons had great flights and for the 6i and 7i good roll and with the 9i a really nice drop and stop.

I also took some time with the new boomer. My ball speed is nearing 120 consistently.  While my full drive results were good at 200-210, I was still capable of a great looking drive that ended up closer to 190.  I have a few things I will try this week.  But the one thing the G410+ has given me is growing confidence that I will not be hurt with the driver.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 7

Played a round on Sunday so didn't get to post my practice, so just missed one day.

• Warmup with 100 jumping jacks
  • More Hips Preset Drill...at risk of sounding like a broken record, I really like this drill and start off with it before moving to full swings.
  • About 50 full swings with a 5-iron working on hip move/weight forward. The hip/weight forward thing is starting to become less conscious effort. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 40

Had a lesson today. We worked on downswing triggers. I now have a new footwork drill and a new downswing trigger drill. The footwork drill is pretty straightforward. It can be done without a golf club if I'd like. The downswing trigger drill is almost a mental drill, but it too can be done either with or without a club. 

Day 8

Busy day at work so didn’t get to do much  

• Did a hip drill using my office chair that I saw in a 5SK video. 

-Peter

Day 41

No lesson today. I did work on my new footwork drill and my new downswing trigger drill. Tomorrow we'll test it all out on the range. 

Can't wait. 

Day 1

Worked for about 5 minutes on full swing, trying to keep the weight on the inside of my back foot. I was hitting balls into a net, and was hitting it well. Then I took a piece of carpet and worked on chipping (distance control) for about 15 minutes. 

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Day 1.  Let's start this again.  A small bucket at the range this morning.  The first few were just trying to get back after not hitting any balls with full swings in a while.  Then I went right back to my priority piece.  8-iron, 6-iron, 3h, driver. 

@iacas-- if you get a chance, can you revoke my achievement piece?  I fell off a few days ago and am just getting back on.  But keep it warm, I intend to get it back by this time next month! :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 9

Putting practice in my living room. Feels like lately my putts have been starting offline, so I worked on hitting a spot 2 feet away in the flattest spot in my living room.

-Peter

Day 42

Hit the range today to test out the effectiveness of my drills I've been doing. The swing is starting to come around. 

I didn't hit enough balls for the 9 quadrant drill so I just did the 3 shot shapes version. Basically, I hit draw, then fade, then straight ball. Alternating between an iron and a metal wood of some kind. 

Day 489

45 minutes working on the hook from irons.  Focus on everything from grip, to swing (looking at video), to foot position, to hips and followthrough.  

By the end, I was not hooking nearly as much as before, Tomorrow I will be double checking how much I remember! I need to be ready for a friendly trio match on Friday!

Tally-Ho!!!

Day 490!

Well, it was good as I did a morning of final prep for the match tomorrow.  

18 holes on a course where I barely break 100!

Once quickly through the bag!  All clubs showed an improved line of the shots over the hooks that come into play when I go on auto pilot. This is the BIG fault in my geezer/hacker technique.

I was happy, in particular, with my hybrids and 6i, which will be needed on this course.

Wedges were MUCH more on target, especially in the sand trap practice time.  The course I am playing has only a few pre-green traps and not too great of a lip in the green traps.  I will do my human-limited best to avoid them.

The biggest accuracy gain was in my driver.  While I did not measure it, my AoA seemed a bit better, longer lower action with better post re-entry roll. On this course, if you drive straight, you are in a good position to do well on every hole.

Will get a bit of pre-round putting in tonight, at home.

May Friday's game not be destroyed by my slight overconfidence my technique and clubs!

Day 10

Focusing on taking a better grip on the club today. No hitting balls, just working on gripping a club in my office to get comfortable with the change.

-Peter

DAY 491

Solid pre-match warm up, 25 whacks with 6i, 7i, 4h and driver. all were straight but I would've loved longer.  They were not bad but I guess I desired more! (Don't we all, always)

General results, 88, 30 putts, 11% GIR, 79% FIR, 6 penalties.

Very very happy, last time on this route I shot a 105.  Straight driver helped a LOT, it was the wedges at about 60-80 yards that were off and often short.  Back to the lab, Pinky! We are not yet ready to conquer the world! See other forum for more detailed results!  

Day 11

More work on taking a better grip on the club. Started with something like the tourstriker planemate day-3 protocol just getting used to the feel of a less palmy grip and making solid contact with the ball. Moved onto full, slow swings.

-Peter