6,237 posts / 314817 viewsLast Reply

Day 3: Played 18 holes.  Focused on smooth and easy tempo with Driver.  Was successful enough.  Not effective for approach shots however

Day 4: Played 18 holes.  Same as above.  Approaches were better.  Discovered I'm capable of hitting 3 wood effectively.

Day 5: Putting drills. Putt Out "Perfect Putt" drill.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 135 - Spent a good hour and a half today working on short game. First, I calibrated my feet for AimPoint. I was a bit off on the slight slopes between 1 and 2%. Next, worked on short and long pitches with 58, 54, PW and 8 irons. Focused on using the easiest motion for the amount of green I had to work with. Used varying lies including tight from fairway to sticky rough.

Moved on the sand shots and used 58, 54 and PW for short to long distances. Then did some putting drills. Finally, went to the range and worked on alignment starting with wedges up through driver. I just got my Evolvr lesson back and I have to work on more secondary axis tilt at address.

Day 26.  Went to the range this morning;  about a dozen or so balls (shared a small bucket), usual priorities, but also made a point of getting video, so my swings were dominated by my 6-iron.  Did some putting but no drills;  made three 12-footers in a row (from slightly different positions).  I remember back in the day when 12 footers felt like a pipe dream! 

Day 14: Lots of mirror work.

Day 216

Planemate hip rotation stuff. Did a series of hip rotation feel/rehearsal, 9-3 swing with a ball, and then full swing with a ball. I feel like the "feel" is starting to translate to full swing. Need to make a video and send to instructor.

Superspeed workout too.

Day 55 - More of the same, pivot work focusing on my trail elbow. Starting to feel more natural, I need to find a time/place to film my swing. 

Day 26 continued.  Not incrementing, because this was also on 7/13, but I'm so happy I wanted to add this.  Went back to the putting green this evening, set up an around-the-clock at 6', used exactly 24 putts (made 7, then 2, then 2, then had one left with having taken 20 attempts... that last one took me way too many).  I set up a few at 12' but I couldn't (due to where the hole was, and how many others were on the green) do a full around the clock, but I made quite a few from there.  

Two possibilities:  either this green is set up in such a way to make me seem like a good putter when I'm not (no other practice putting greens available, so I can't test that theory) or putting is so easy that I can improve rapidly to a very decent state.  Will continue this during the week and on Saturday we might find out under real conditions if I can, in fact, putt. 

Day 8:

28 minute golf focused workout.

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a PGA Instructor, i am only listing what i am doing as a journal log and if anyone who is a PGA Instructor wants to critique my routine and tell me where i am wrong with drills or not, please do.

Stretching: hamstrings, back, shoulders and neck physical therapy routine.

Swing Drills:  All drills with full swings i incorporated the izzo swing trainer band

- Drill #1 cross arm drill

- Drill #2 get into position to hit a Drive, place Gold Flex across hips and hold the club close to hips. Push up and lift, with power and speed, belt buckle facing target when done.  This is to increased speed and power and hitting on the way up

- Drill #3 with Gold Flex, get into Driver position, then move the head of the Gold Flex to a point on the floor that is about 1 foot behind the ball.  Start the swing.  Goal is to stop outside in attack, stop slice, get back to inside out attack and more of a Draw flight. 

Start:

Stretching

10 swings Drill #1

10 Swings with sklz tempo grip trainer

stretching

Drill #2

10 swings with Gold Flex doing Drill #3

Stretching

10 swings Drill #1

10 swings with sklz tempo grip trainer

stretching

10 swing motions doing Drill #2

10 swings with Gold Flex doing Drill #3

stretching

15 baseball style swings with golf flex for core - going hard forward and back.

stretching at the end.

My right shoulder is feeling better and better and getting stronger.  My neck pain is getting under control again and i am starting to make a full round without my neck hurting as well.

Day 136 - Played 8 2/3 today before the lightning and rain shut us down. Played ok and did the secondary axis set up. Most shots went more right than I intended. Need to go to the range and work on this some more.

Day 15: Hit a medium bucket of balls at the range. Trying to find a more intuitive and less technical feel than "feel like the angle between the chest and lead arm doesn't change during the backswing". Feeling like both arms stay straight for as long as possible was producing some really nice shots.

Then I putted for about 20 minutes or so.

Day 217

Kept working on the hip rotation with some 9-3 swings with LW/SW. Decided today was the day to see how it translates to a longer club. Used 3W because I'm afraid to hit driver off the mat in my yard. Hit 15 balls and used the Mevo get some ball flight data.

• No impact tape, but didn't get any extreme toe or heel vibrations/feels in my hands.
  • Contact was pretty solid, hit 2 balls a touch thin, and 2 balls a touch fat.
  • Start line was good for 12/15, 2 balls were pulled and started too far left, 1 ball was a push.
  • Swing speed, ball speed, carry, and spin were in the ballpark for what I expect, so overall pretty happy with progress.

Day 27.  I may have been overly optimistic yesterday.  Today, I set out to do 6' putts, and set up my around the clock drill.  This was a different hole from last night, at a very different spot on the practice green.   I believe it was more sloped than yesterday (I didn't measure, maybe I should).  Anyway, I made 5 on the first go around, none of which were left to right breaking.  In two more go-arounds, I made a total of one more.  I'm not sure if something was wrong today, or what.  

Day 56 - Continued with the helicopter drill, working on a “straight” trail elbow and a quicker hip/shoulder rotation at A3

Day 9:

needed to let the body recover from my swinging program.  

i spent 15 minutes practicing putting on The Master Putting System in my office. 

Everything is at the 8' distance - focused on getting the toe of the putter on the surface as i have been healing the putter lately.  Even back and forth with constant speed.  No stabbing at the ball, as well as alignment.

i used my wife's putter as i am done with my current putter.  i am in the process of setting up a putter fitting.

i also have my 2nd lesson tonight.

Edited by djake
needed to add content