IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 74  Stuck inside again today.  So back to the doorframe.  Practicing with my right foot against the door frame, arms crossed my chest in golf posture, ... then turning/pivoting so my right shoulder does not hit the door frame on the backswing or the forward swing.   The better I get at this the better I am in turning into my right side on my backswing versus swaying. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 11

hit for an hour on a simulator. My trouble spots right now is driver and long irons. Fairway wood and mid to low irons are serviceable. Slowed down my swing  to stay more in balance. Slicing my driver right now, but getting it straighter. Most are on right fairway or first cut, a lot better then way way right.  Going to try a new driver tomorrow, losing confidence in my old driver. It may be time to upgrade. 

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Day 9

Worked on my driver swing. I struggle quite a bit with maintaining a pattern with this club, although I have gotten to the point where I can at least keep it in play with respectable distance. Did some key #4 drills for ~10 minutes before my round today, making sure I was gaining some depth with my hands, and my hips as well. Drill came from youtube "thegolfevolution" channel.

5th round in a row today where I didn't lose a ball, so I'm happy about that.

Edited by bm85
Elaborating on drill

Day 15:

2/12/14

Went to hit balls today, working again on driver and, specifically, closing down the face.   It seems to be coming together nicely.  I take a couple slow practice swings focusing on the wrist pronation at the top.  Then take a swing without thought and its working out nicely.   lots of nice draws.  mixing in a few icky hooks when I don't start the ball out to the right.   comes with the territory, though.   getting better at cleaning that up.   

as an added bonus, when I was done with the driver, I took out my 4 iron to hit some balls.   The work with the driver seems to be having a positive effect here.   literally hit about 8 straight balls with a nice baby draw right down the middle carrying between 202 and 208.  put the 4 iron back in the bag, picked up my balls and left.   It wasn't going to get any better than that and didn't want to work my way into some bad swings.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Day 43

20 minutes of putting. 3-6 foot putts. I think I am getting close to a repeatable setup. For most of my golfing life, I have putted with high hands and a longer putter -35". I am using a 34" putter now and striving for a more relaxed stance, and more square, and more relaxed arms and a repeatable stroke.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Day 12

friend told me to bring a spoon to the range, so i did. I should have questioned it, but I just grabbed it and went to the range. I put the spoon in my glove and hit balls. it felt so weird, but I am understanding why he uses a spoon. It helps get a flat lead wrist at the top of my backswing. I hit mid to low irons today. After an hour of practicing I gained the feel at the top of my backswing. will try to get out on the course on Thursday and put it to work.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

31 minutes ago, RickPro said:

Day 12

friend told me to bring a spoon to the range, so i did. I should have questioned it, but I just grabbed it and went to the range. I put the spoon in my glove and hit balls. it felt so weird, but I am understanding why he uses a spoon. It helps get a flat lead wrist at the top of my backswing. I hit mid to low irons today. After an hour of practicing I gained the feel at the top of my backswing. will try to get out on the course on Thursday and put it to work.

A spoon in your glove?  Please explain. 

Day 75   Got up early and did the drill of standing in the doorway and rotating my right shoulder back so that I rotate instead of sway!  Hoping to get outside tomorrow and see what impact this practice has when I am hitting shots.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Marty2019 said:

A spoon in your glove?  Please explain. 

To help stop the left wrist from cupping, I'm sure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 44

15 minutes putting 3-6 feet. Overall, working on bead and speed, or aim and stroke. I am working toward a consistent aiming routine, stepping into a consistent stance, and making a consistent stroke.  I have always been a streaky putter, and putted mostly hands high with a 35" putter. When I was on, I could make several 15 footers in a round, then go cold and 3 putt a few times. I am working on something that is more consistent, less streaky. I also want to be dead solid on 3 footers.

I am hoping to get out late this afternoon for either some long game practice or playing 9 holes, but work may get in the way, so I knocked this out and posted just in case.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

2/13/17:

Day 319:

Took it easy today. Practiced my short putts inside of 10 feet. My focus was keeping my head down for a month and a half, and listening for the plop, which is kind of hard when your "hole" lays on top of the carpet.

46 days to 1 year.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

12 reps with a minute pause in between full swing reps with a couple less aggressive warmup reps. Stretching hamstrings. Working on slow movements through the transition. Tai Chi slow with weight shift incorporated into movement. Also keeping the lead wrist well pronated. Full coil backswing, lead arm straight getting past parallel. I have to focus on retaining the C-spine posture. Used a roller to work the upper back/shoulders, lats, glutes and calve muscles.

Played 6 holes yesterday at my kid's old course while waiting for my daughter's team, but first I had to experience hitting off dirt. There was a clump of dirt in behind my ball and I thought to myself "what harm could that do?". I then realized why I like hitting off mats as I wiped off a face full of dirt. :-P

So, I played what should have been an easy 6 holes and overshot 4 of the greens with a 6 over. 2 pars 2 doubles because my ball was stuck on top of stray branches or inside pine needles from 20 yards past the green. One of them I was pin high 135 yards to the right because my driver pulled into the other fairway and my 3W drew too far one more hole over. Hit my PW with too much draw and I watched helplessly as the ball flew deep into some pine needles. Took one good swipe to get the ball out of the needles then another chip from only 8 yards with 2 putts remaining. Two bogies that I deserved for over hitting the greens. One of them was a thinned 7i that flew clean over the green from the 150 yard marker and refused to stop until it got to the tee box on the 8th hole. Proud that my recover shot hit the green.

Hope my round of the week tomorrow morning at Vinyards goes better :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

13/2/18 - played 18 today, with a range session and some short game work beforehand. Played pretty well on a relatively short and open track, but putting wasn't great due to greens being phenomenally slow, making it hard to get the ball to the hole.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Day 13 - 10 minutes mirror work in the gym. Focused on hip turn and pitch elbow from the top through impact. A bunch of slow rehearsal swings and a few 50-70% swing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 44

Easy practice today. Sat underneath the awning with a hot beverage, and read Nicklaus's cartoon book on how he played golf. 

There was also some carpet putting practice earlier. My old rolling the ball over the coin, 12+ inches in front of the ball drill. 

Was supposed to be a travel day for us, but the weather is not cooperating. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 10

30 minutes on full swing. Mostly just reducing my swing thoughts, and seeing what the swing looks like. Have a back swing thought, and down swing thought and that's it. Feels nice, and I was achieving a decent key#3 with driver so I'm happy.

Playing in so many different conditions due to the winter, and having made a couple changes in the last few months, I'm itching to dial in my yardages. Hoping the mevo will help me with that.

Hit a few baby pitch shots outside for fun.

• Administrator

Day 11: (February 13) - Spent five or six minutes hitting balls slowly. Backswing rehearsal several times, and then feeling it stop even shorter with more elbow freedom, then pushing the right shoulder down hard from there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 13

hit the range to work on poor driver play. Practiced for about 40 minutes. This time I brought foot spray and coated the face of my driver to see what I am doing exactly. I have been mostly slicing lately. I have been striking it low on the toe. I now line it up between the heel and center and was able to hit it straight. This will be my bandaid for now until I get back to lining it up in the center and hitting center. Foot spray is great, I’m going to try to get in a round tomorrow and see how it goes.