IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 1 of restart.

So, I fell off the wagon.

Actually I have done at least 5 minutes every day, but haven't posted in a few. I took a couple days off from work and had some honey dos. I played 9 holes on Thursday, trying to implement some of the things I have been working on. I can see some progress, but still have a ways to go to get to where I want to be this season.

I will post a video and start a my swing topic as soon as I can. I am still working on the first 3 keys. My head is steady, but maybe could be steadier. I am pretty good on lateral movement. There is rotational and vertical movement, which I understand there can be some, but I might need less. I have a turn and do shift my weight forward on the downswing, but it needs to be more. I am working on the slight lateral move forward in the downswing, but not quite there, and consequently, I do not have inline impact. There is a slight flip right at the bottom which usually results in a fat shot. Thin is rare, most often fat.

So practice today was 15 minutes of putting, working on aim and stroke, and about 15 minutes of chipping with my 56* ,

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DAY 119   Spent 15 minutes this morning using the Impact Ball and my short club to work on my backswing, specifically trying to insure my right shoulder rotates into proper position versus sticking out!!   Then spent quite a bit of time with the on-line training program titled, "The Scoring Method" by Will Robbins.   His approach is to improve your scoring.   He has a simple to follow process for analyzing your round of golf, developing purposeful practice plans, benchmarking your game, .. and being your own best caddy!!   This is the second time I have been through the program and have used parts of it very successfully in helping to improve my scores.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

• Administrator

Day 45 - March 19, 2018 - Worked on things while watching the 1997 Masters.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3/20/18:

Day 354:

More work on my first move down drill today for a bit... I do most of my practice in the wee hours only because the kids are asleep and I get some peace and quiet.

Also putted from four, eight, and 12 feet for a little while whilst I was watching the 1995 Masters. 

Eleven days until 1 straight year. I think I'm going to make it to a year. Do you?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

More roller and Kettle, and exercise cycle. Weight was surprisingly still under 200 even with all the rich food in Boston. 

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Day 79. First day of Spring....Some where I suppose. 

After dropping the GDs off at school, I stopped off at the golf course for some putting practice. I used the chipping/pitching green, since the regular practice putting green was being over run by humanity. 

Focus was on reading the green from various spots. Hitting my chosen line. Also, two putts or less on each pin chosen. No three putts this day.......so far. 

I am setting up my own daily practice/play schedule for the next eight months. The schedule will involve Mondays through Fridays, with two playing days on Tuesdays, and Thursdays. The other three days will be practice days. Obviously some weeks will involve more play, less practice, and vice versa. Just need my right shoulder to heal up a little more to implement this schedule. Maybe by next week. 

Going to start ofoff with major focus on 100 & 150 yard approach shots. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

DAY 120   Another day stuck in the house due to inclement weather.  So back at it with the Impact Ball and short golf club to work on position of the right elbow at the top of the backswing.   And also some work on the downswing sequence. 

Most of the day and I still have more to go is watching and taking notes from the online training program created by Adam Young of the "Practice Manual"   The program is titled "The Strike Plan" and is full of concepts, techniques and drills to improve strike quality.  I had watched part of a few months ago and used some of the drills... now to finish the program!  Like Will Robbins "The Scoring Method" ... I recommend it highly.

day 34 - 6' putts for bead, centered turns w/6i with focus on steady head

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Day 46 - March 20, 2018 - Spent 45 minutes or so practice. Really pleased with how I hit the ball when I was trying. Downswings were nearly full speed, backswings were slower, focusing on two things: elbow softening early, backswing stopping very early. I hit some with a ridiculously (for a full swing) short backswing, and was still able to generate good speed, and contact was awesome all day, so I'm pretty pleased with this.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 7:

driving range.

worked on tempo with my wedges in hand. Ball striking was much improved overall, especially considering I forgot my golf shoes and had to practice in my J’s. Left a fair number out to the left (push) but I was more so focused on quality ball striking and taking divots in front of the ball. Historically I struggle the most with wedges in hand, with a good number of my shots landing fat, or thin, but lately I’ve been having a lot of welcomed success. 

Also did some swing related work in the gym. Saw a fitness tip during the AP Invitational that I wanted to try out for developing core strength while rotating. 

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Day 2

30 minutes of putting 3-6 feet working on aim and stroke. I  also spent a few minutes working on grip with driver.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Day 355:

3/21/18:

Worked on putting inside of 10 feet this morning. Mostly working on line and speed. And keeping the putter square to my target 12 inches in front of the ball. No lines on the ball necessary.

Ten days until I reach one full year.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

More roller and Kettle, and exercise cycle. Weight was surprisingly still under 200 even with all the rich food in Boston. Used the exercise bicycle for about 20 minutes on the mid setting. Eating grilled vegetables and less carbohydrates. Got weight down to 199. Stuck in Boston for another two days due to the bad weather flight cancellations. My bosses are happy with that though. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

DAY 121  Spent 10 minutes working with my Impact Ball and short club.   Then headed off to play golf.  Shot 83 which is an improvement over the last time I played Inverness G & CC.  With the temperatures in the 50s when we teed off and winds in the 14-22 mph range  throughout the round it was tough choosing clubs into green, holding greens and even keeping it in the fairway.  If it was a links style course it might have been different, but it is a tree-lined course, with water and bunkers. 

Day 79. First day of Spring....Some where I suppose. 

After dropping the GDs off at school, I stopped off at the golf course for some putting practice. I used the chipping/pitching green, since the regular practice putting green was being over run by humanity. 

Focus was on reading the green from various spots. Hitting my chosen line. Also, two putts or less on each pin chosen. No three putts this day.......so far. 

I am setting up my own daily practice/play schedule for the next eight months. The schedule will involve Mondays through Fridays, with two playing days on Tuesdays, and Thursdays. The other three days will be practice days. Obviously some weeks will involve more play, less practice, and vice versa. Just need my right shoulder to heal up a little more to implement this schedule. Maybe by next week. 

Going to start ofoff with major focus on 100 & 150 yard approach shots. 

In My Bag:

Day 80.

Watched several videos featuring Paige Spiranac, and her, uh, uh, golf game. Yeah, her golf game.  :whistle:

Oh yeah, spent about an hour hitting 40 yard pitch shots, short chip shots, and putting practice. Focus was on good ball contact, and accuracy. 

The pitch shots were over a sand bunker, with the pin about 5 yards past it. 

In My Bag:

Day 35 - 30ft lag putts for speed work down the hallways at work. Ground is covered in snow

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Day 47 - March 21, 2018 - Practiced some full swings and messed around with a training aid (Power Package Pro) to see if I could figure out what was causing one of the weird things with it (right cup stays an inch away from the arm when the left is in it), but mostly hit partial backswing full-speed-downswing type shots.