IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 164

Just hit, and putted balls this morning.

On my swings, I went with trying to get a little more body turn into my down swing into impact. Looking for a little more "useable" distance with my irons. I wasn't trying to swing faster, just more body involvement. It felt funny, but I did hit some longer than normal wedge shots with in decent putting distance of my targets. I was really happy with my AW swings. (C+)

My putting was still pretty good, so I didn't spend much time on it. Lags we're good. Reads we're good. I made all my second putts in the 3-5 foot range. I'm really liking this "M1-Heavy Putter" I switched to.  (A)

After I returned home, I did some maintenance on my Clic Gear trolley. Check tire pressures, and oiled various areas. Yeah, I said tire pressures. Mine is one of the originals, with real tires on it. Maybe 12 + years of great service. I highly recommend this brand of trolley. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Day 130 - June 13, 2018 - Hit a number of 7- and 8-irons after a lesson today and before helping @NatalieB out with some of her things.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 13.  Did some appropriate stretching and medicine ball work this morning.  Heading out to the desert for U.S. Open weekend after lunch today, so I hope to check back in with "Day 13 part two" tonight.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 8, worked on pitching and distance wedges at the range. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 42:

Another bad score due to shanks...BUT i made a tweak that led to quite the difference. I was standing too close to the ball...apparently...and it was forcing me to come over the top. Moved back away from the ball on the back nine and I started to hit some decent shots again. 59 on the front...48 on the back lol.

Day 13, part 2 -- as expected, I had time to do more practice this evening.  I worked on my putting form, indoors, using a ruler and golf balls on carpet.  I'm in a larger room than I usually do this drill in, so I could focus on hitting it further instead of just to the end of the ruler.  The result was fewer stayed on the ruler, of course, but it's probably better feedback.  I was getting pretty good at keeping short putts on the ruler, not so good at translating that to even the practice putting green 3' putts. 

As for form, I am reviewing it and debating getting one of the putting stroke training tools that have been endorsed on TST.  Would be nice to eliminate further variables from my poor putting.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 3 (missed, practiced but didn't post)

5 mins on new putting set up at home. Dropping ball from left eye to land on ball on ground at address as instructed.

Day 4

Went to the range, chipping and putting. Working on path with pitching and new stance with putting. Not there yet with either but progress

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

DAY 205   Rise and Grind.   Spent 2 hours in the short game area, working on my short wedge technique for about 90% of the time, and then hit 10 wedges to 20 and 30 yard targets (pins on the green).  I was within 6 feet on 5/10 from 20 yards, but only 2/10 from 30 yards.   They goal is to get at least 7/10 within the 6 foot circle around the hole from both distances.

Then moved over to the putting green for an hour.  Did three drills -- 10 putts from each of 4 distances with the Pelz Putting Tutor -- so I could get feedback on the extent to which I am starting the ball on line.  Second drill was 10 putts from 30,40 and 50 feet to inside a 3 foot circle around the hole.  I was successful 10/10 from 30 and 40 feet.  But only 8/10 from 50 feet. :-(  Then was able to make it through the "Dottie Pepper" Drill (3 in a row from 3, 5 and 7 feet) using only 9 balls.  So I made each 9 putts in a row.  

Time to shower, have lunch and enjoy the rest of the day -- #USOPEN

Day 165

Spent a little time pitching, chipping, and putting the ball. 

Idea was to pitch, or chip the ball, from various areas, to various pins, close enough for a one putt.  

Focus was on green reads, and hitting my chosen landing spot on the green. Hit 28 balls, which would be a par 56. I wound up at 63 (+7) for my little self competition. (B-)

After that I pitched 28 balls over a practice bunker, and mound, to a pin on the other side of the bunker. These were 30/40 yard pitch shots, 20/30 yards from the bunker. All balls cleared the bunker. Some could have stopped closer to the pin. (A-)

In My Bag:

• Administrator

Day 131 - June 14, 2018 - Played 18 holes at Lake View with old buddy Steve and student Luke. Played well toward the back nine when I focused a bit less on the mechanics. GAME GOLF round coming later… I have 10 minutes until I have to go to a lesson.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 9

played 9 today. Ball striking was Ok. Short game was very solid and I putted really well. I need to do my pieces a bit better. Ball flight isn’t wild, low point consistency is a tad off. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 43: 

Wasnt sure I would get any practice in today, but I got 5 minutes. Worked on proper set up and addressing the ball the right distance from it. Hit a few (3 or 4) full shots and happy to report not a shank among them. More practice in the AM and hopefully during lunch tomorrow. 

Day 14.  Spent an hour this evening on the putting green, focusing initially on posture and pendulum.  I took video, but it may have been too dark (I'll check in a bit).  I also finally did a successful around-the-clock drill at 4' ... I'm sure I did that successfully years ago, but that was... well, years ago.  I also did two successful 4-8-12 drills.  And before leaving the green for the night, I did three consecutive 2-putts from 30'.  

I am debating two putter training aids, one of which Erik recommended (generic recommendation, not specific to me) recently.  I need to determine if they'll address whatever my issue is, because if so, I'll buy one.

Why so much putting lately for me?  I've lost over 1.5 strokes per round average over the past 10 rounds vs 15 handicap... and I'd like to bring that down because I believe it's a glaring weakness.  And it has been for a while.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 5

5 more mins on new putting posture. used floorboards in house to work out new alignment. Getting eyes so much further over the ball makes me a little dizzy, but stroke and contact so much better.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Day 166  Out early to beat the heat. 

Took my bag of "Ironwoods" out to the DR today (2i-LW) These are the clubs I played 10+ years ago. Just hit a small basket of balls. These clubs were a product of Tour Edge, and their Bazooka line.

Didn't work on anything specific. Just wanted to see how I hit these clubs after all these years. I was pleasently surprised that they are still an easy club to hit, with their extra wide soles, and semi hybrid bodies. I can still hit my chosen landing areas with them. 

It was a fun, relaxing morning. 

In My Bag:

DAY 206    Rise and Grind!!  Spent 3 hours in the short game area working on both technique when hitting wedges. and hitting to targets.   I am now contacting the ball a lot better... however, the dreaded shanks are starting to appear... a problem I have never had.  I believe they will go away as I am making so many changes to my technique (improving my rhythm, keeping the club more in front of me and on plane, hinging the wrist better on the backswing, keeping the head quieter and maintaining my height, .....).   In essence I have traded the dreaded YIPS for the dreaded SHANKS!! LOL!!

Then spent 30 minutes on the putting green hitting putts using the Pelz Putting Tutor... to train myself to be even better at starting the ball on line.

• Administrator

Day 132 - June 15, 2018 - Someone forgot a left-handed wedge from an earlier lesson, so I spent about ten minutes hitting wedge shots with it. I'm counting this as practice because it's still practice with golf, you're still working on hand-eye coordination, you're still doing golf mechanics, etc.

DAY 206 B   After this mornings 3 1/2 hours of practice.   I decided after resting to go out again.  Hit balls on the range for 30 minutes.  Then played 18 holes from the White Tees, to see the impact of the work I have been doing this week.  Please to write I shot my age!!  A round of 70 for 2 under par!!   And what made it even more satisfying was that I hit 16 GIR, the greens were aerated on Wednesday so they were ROUGH.  But I was able to get up and down twice!! And made a couple birdie putts.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/JuanTheGolfer/round/2224721

I had to adjust the location of the drive and second shot on hole #14 since they had a temporary green...   which I hit in 2.  Not sure what to do when there are temporary greens.  Guess I need to learn a little more about Game Golf.